The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Leatherwork bits needed (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Hi guys

I am currently building myself a new escape prop and can't find a few things that I need. I wonder if anyone could point me in the right direction. I have tried googling crafts and leatherwork shops, but no luck Smile

I am looking for

Large silver coloured rivets. I bought 10mm, the largest I could find but that are just a bit to small, I reckon I need something closer to 13 mm. 15mm would probably do it.

A few heavy D-Links. Not the ones used for lifting, the type you see on belts, they are a single piece of D shaped metal, with a split on the flat side. I can't find anything big or heavy enough, I think something about 50mm along the flat side would do it.

Please let me know if you have any ideas where I could get the above!

Oh yes, I almost forgot. Coming soon, the world's most expensive escape! Not a record or anything, but a great name, and for a good reason! I can't say anything at all about it until afterwards (cos its a challenge from a company, and they don't want anyone to know anything until the actual day), but you might get a kick out of it Smile

Thanks everyone

David
David Victor - The artist formally (and still occasionally) known as David Straitjacket.

My Website
Add me on facebook
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I wonder if a store that supplys mountian climbers might help with the D rings? They put rings on belts strong enough to support one's own weight. Don't know about the rivits though.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
David,

I use Tandy Leather for my needs. I’ve made several costume vests (one an actual “Buff” coat for reenacting) using leather and tools from them. I’ve also made a custom Tom Horn belt like affair built onto a Bohemian Torture Board (Right out of Novak’s booklet) with supplies they have. Finally I made my first busking bag/poachers pouch using everything bought from them (I have purchased my latest busking bag ready made because I’ve become lazy in my old age!).

You might email them and ask them directly if they have the supplies you need.

I'm looking forward to hearing about your "worlds most expensive escape"!!! Break a chain old man!!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Cliff, I was about to act on your idea but then Harry came along and solved the problem in style, that place is FANTASTIC!

Thanks guys. Now this is what the Café is about Smile

The worlds most expensive escape, hehe, sorry to tease it like that. I will let you know more when I can.

Thanks again both of you!

David
David Victor - The artist formally (and still occasionally) known as David Straitjacket.

My Website
Add me on facebook
Sylver Fyre
View Profile
Regular user
Michigan
152 Posts

Profile of Sylver Fyre
Yes Tandy Leather is the best!! A lot of craft stores buy from Tandy and then increase the price so it's best if you can go to one of their warehouses or even buy from their website.
They should have the D-rings if not some sewing shops might.
Sylver Fyre

"Do not warm yourself by the fire, become the flame"
---------------------------------------------
www.knottybitssideshow.com
Add me on Myspace or Facebook! http://www.myspace.com/sylverfyre
Mick Hanzlik
View Profile
Special user
Mick Hanzlik
588 Posts

Profile of Mick Hanzlik
David...we have a company close to me called Pearce Tandy, and they do a lot with leather tooling etc. Would you like me to check them out? I drive past their place at least 3 times a week.

Mick.

You could do a search on Google for Paerce Tandy, in Northampton, to see if they have what you need. I can always collect it and send it to you.
The Amazing Michael
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Michael
*CAUTION* Does NOT play well with others!
Stuart Burrell
View Profile
Veteran user
England
385 Posts

Profile of Stuart Burrell
I'm sure you probably have already tried this avenue but have you tried Equestrian or Horse shops for the D-Rings?
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Hi everyone

oops... So, I posted this, replied, then completly forgot it existed! Which is why my reply has taken so long. That, and the fact that I seem to be everywhere at once right now. The road gets tough sometimes Smile

Michael, that place looks good. If I can't get the stuff in the UK, it could come in very handy. I tried a google search along those lines Stuart, it didn't turn up much of use.

Mick, until you came along I thought no-one was going to outdo Harry. The below is basically what I need:

http://www.tandyleather.com/products.asp?number=22041-03 (brown leather dye)
http://www.tandyleather.com/products.asp?number=1140-00 (2 inch Dees, about 10)
http://www.tandyleather.com/products.asp?number=1273-12 (Rivets, these are not the size I need. I am looking for something about 12mm, 10mm is not enough, I know cos I have tried with them!)

I will also need a setter for the rivets.

If you local place has all that Mick, I might just have to come to your house and kiss you Smile I am about to PM you about the TV stuff I mentioned, things are starting to come together nicely!

Cheers

David

My Website
Add me on facebook
Mick Hanzlik
View Profile
Special user
Mick Hanzlik
588 Posts

Profile of Mick Hanzlik
I'll call into this place today David and see if they can help.

MH
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Leatherwork bits needed (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL