The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Garret Thomas’ “Ring Thing” DVD (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

digiquick
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney
114 Posts

Profile of digiquick
Do take a look at some of the excellent reviews made by Glenn Hamilton

His latest is of Garret Thomas The Ring Thing.

Garret Thomas’ “Ring Thing” DVD
Reviewed by Glenn Hamilton.

How may times have you been out and about when someone says “Hey, you’re a magician, show us a trick”.

The thing is, you have no cards, there’s not an inch of rope in sight and your thumb tip is in the other pants!

After viewing the Ring Thing DVD you need never worry about being caught out without a routine at any given moment. All you need is a finger ring, and if you don’t have one yourself, you can borrow one form the audience.

Garret Thomas’ spring board for his basic Ring Thing routine came from an idea in Martin Gardner’s book, “Martin Gardner Presents”, in which a cigar band jumps back and forth from the index finger to the second finger. I remember my grand father doing the “Fly Away Birdie” routine with pieces of napkin/tissue stuck on his fingernails when I was a kid which uses the same principle.

Garret has taken this idea and adapted his own routine as well as creating moves and routines of his own that not only enhance the jumping finger ring routine but take it to a new and exciting level.

Don’t be fooled into thinking this DVD is a teach-in for just one routine. It is a plethora of moves routines and information that will help you build strong and captivating close-up ring and coin routines

You are given many variations to the original idea of a ring jumping from one finger to the other as well as astounding routines utilizing karate coins, band-aids, key rings and other objects.

One of my favorite sequences is where Garret has a coin in one hand and a ring in the other and they change places several times.  The routine climaxes with Garret pushing his finger through the centre of the coin as if it were a ring and then restoring it, immediately passing it out for examination. The penetration is completely unexpected and totally blew me away! (As it did the ever willing L&L audience)

The great thing about this DVD is that there are a couple of pieces you will be able to accomplish with a few minutes of work if not straight away, but if you are looking for feature of your close-up act, don’t pass on the routines that take more practice.
No stone is left unturned as Garret delves into several false transfer methods, many different ideas with the karate coin and some truly amazing transformations.

Garret also talks about his touches on John Ramsey’s ring catch routine.

There are some fantastic close-up adaptations for stage manipulations such us the perpetual billiard ball and the hand to hand jumping thimbles all of which use coins and rings.

Magic needs great thinkers like Garret Thomas to keep it fresh and exciting and that is exactly what The Ring Thing DVD delivers.
Buy this DVD, you won’t be disappointed!
Magicnevets
View Profile
New user
Sydney, Australia
56 Posts

Profile of Magicnevets
Great review Graham! Sounds like one to add to my shopping list.
I don't perform illusions... it just looks like I do!
SoundWave
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of SoundWave
Great review Graham. I also added this DVD to my collection. A great buy. My favorite routine is the coin and ring. I was not disappointed.
fooksau
View Profile
Loyal user
299 Posts

Profile of fooksau
I bought this dvd and 2 out of the 3 times I've performed it the specs guessed the method. Any tips anyone has would be appreciated... I have my angles and speed down. Has anyone else had the method guessed immediatly after performing? I think it looks better on video than close-up.

Thanks.
How many Magicians does it take to advertise a trick? Three.. One to steal the trick. One to steal HIS trick. And one to write a good review.
CasualSoul
View Profile
Special user
Edmonton, Canada
542 Posts

Profile of CasualSoul
I've found that it really is a matter of practice and angle control. As with most magic, Ring Thing does not bear repeating well. I've found that I can only do it safely twice using different variations, and not consecutively. As Garrett says, it really is meant to only be a part of a larger non-RingThing routine, not a routine unto itself. I use it as part of a ring related routine which includes a ring through drinking glass, a ring flight, and a ring off necklace.
"Open their mind by performing the impossible"
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
6157 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Excellent review, Graham!

I have the DVD - its great!

"xmas"
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Garret Thomas’ “Ring Thing” DVD (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL