The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Water Bowls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
You know how it is, you never hear of a certain thing and then suddenly you hear it a lot in a matter of few days.

This happened to me with the Water Bowls. I had never heard of them until I saw Jeff McBride performing with them live at FISM. Then I saw it again used by a street magician in one of Stockholm's streets.

I just fell in love with this effect. Any tips where I can read about it or where I can buy a set. Thanks in advance.
Yours,

Ivan
Mike T
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of Mike T
It's times like this I wish I'd listened to what my Grandad used to say...
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2493 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
No it is not like those. Two bowls that resemble chinese rice bowls made from metal are shown to be empty. Water appears in one and squirts up like a fountain. Then vanishes and flys across to the other bowl. The water is apparently drunk and both bowls are shown empty. This is repeated serveral more times, cleaning showing the interior of the bowls to the audience. Finally the water is drank one last time and then the bowls are PASSED out for examination to show no lota or double wall bowls are used. I saw also saw McBride do this at FISM and he wowed the magicians with it.
This effect is very baffling especially when you can allow the bowls to be examined.
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
Is it a McBride exclusive?
Yours,

Ivan
aqmagish20
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of aqmagish20
I e-mailed Jeff a few years back and he said that he held this effect for himself. Not sure if that is still the case.
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2493 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
If you do a search for McBride Water bowls on the Café you will find a thread that tells you where to find this in print. It's in one of the S.Sharpe Trilogy books. I have the books but haven't had time to look up the mechanics.
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
Thanks a lot.

I thought it wasn't McBride's because I saw a stret magician doing them too.
Yours,

Ivan
Mehtas
View Profile
Inner circle
England, UK
1649 Posts

Profile of Mehtas
In one of the goldston lock books, there is a chinese magician holding bowls and a fountain of water is coming out from one of them.

Would it be similar in line with above effect ??
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
Well it's not actually a fountain. It's more like the water is seen to spill around the brim of the bowl as it is produced in the bowls.
Yours,

Ivan
JuRim
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of JuRim
You can also find the handling in "The Royal Touch" of Cellini...

But I suggest not to imitate Mc Brides handling...

Use the bricks to build your house, don´t just steal a house.

or even better

To protect a move, publish it.
To protect an act, don´t do it for magicians
Brian Marks

Greetings

Jurim
I asked if she like cardtricks. she said:No! I did four...
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1157 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
Quote:
On 2006-08-11 12:21, niva wrote:
Is it a McBride exclusive?

NO!

Not any more than the Miser's Dream is.

Been around for hundreds of years.
RVH Magic
View Profile
Special user
877 Posts

Profile of RVH Magic
The routine is ! (a McBride exclusive) same for his version of the miser's dream...
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
Of course I am not going to copy the routine. I just wanted to know about them because I had never heard of them.

But when I find these in a book you mentioned, can I make a set myself or do I need some special prop maker to build them for me?

Thanks once more.
Yours,

Ivan
JuRim
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of JuRim
In the version you can find in the Cellini Book (classic)you only have to find two suitable bowls...That´s all!Of course you could buy a set from your favourite dealer but it´s not necessary.

Hope you find a good set

Jurim
I asked if she like cardtricks. she said:No! I did four...
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
Thanks again. I will check it out. I have a good idea how it can be done though.
Yours,

Ivan
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1157 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
Quote:
On 2006-08-11 13:24, aqmagish20 wrote:
I e-mailed Jeff a few years back and he said that he held this effect for himself. Not sure if that is still the case.

If he means his particular individual presentation of this age-old effect, that's fine, totally within his rights.

If he means the effect itself, in all its many potential interpretations, he's full of it (and I don't mean water).
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Water Bowls (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL