The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Acrobatic Matchbox! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magical_kid
View Profile
New user
Pakistan,Karachi
21 Posts

Profile of magical_kid
Hi,
I was saying, people don't use Acrobatic Matchbox anymore. Maybe they use Acrobatic Matchbox Kennedy, which is for $14.00, but they never use the simple one for $4.00. If you ask why, I'll tell you, you cannot do the $4.00 while sitting. Oh, and can you do it while sitting? Smile The $14.00 has no body hook-ups so it's better. Please post your likes and dislikes.
http://www.magicaleye3003.cjb.net
MK
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I am not at all familiar with a $14.00 no hook-up version of the Acrobatic Matchbox. It does sound interesting. I suspect it is a two-matchbox effect with a “gizmo” that connects the two so that what is done to one matchbox is magically repeated by the other.

I have seen and played with two different versions using two-matchboxes. The beauty of the trick was that any two matchboxes could be used. One version was totally impromptu using a matchstick as the gimmick. I don’t know if either of these fits the bill of the item you are thinking about.

The “classic” Acrobatic Matchbox” is done with only one matchbox. The box of matches is emptied and them magically becomes animated. It is a very visual and straightforward trick. It can be done close-up or parlor/club. I don’t know what you mean when you say that it cannot be done sitting down. It can be done sitting or standing with no problem.

Honestly, even $4.00 seems a bit steep for a trick that has been in print in many children’s magic books since the 1950’s. The most recent youth oriented magic book it can be found in is Jon Tremaine’s “The Amazing Book of Magic & Card Tricks” published and sold by Barnes & Noble Books. It is a darn good book of tricks. It includes a version of Out of This world, the Burned Banknote, The Phoenix Card Trick (burned card to wallet), a Card Through Window, Professors Nightmare, Haunted Key and on and on with dozens of very good tricks. Plus it covers the basic moves and slights you need to start in card and coin magic.

I have been performing the Acrobatic Matchbox for over 20 years. I make my own. In fact, it takes less than five minutes to make one. It should cost you only a few Pennies.

Anyone who wants to perform the Acrobatic Matchbox should review Eugene Burger’s book “The Performance of Close-up Magic”. Burger explains his hookup and handling of this effect.

He also covers two tricks that are very (very, very) similar to the Acrobatic Matchbox. The first is his “Spirit Candle in the Bottle” and the second is his handling of “the Haunted Pack”. Both work using the same method as the classic acrobatic Matchbox and Eugene performs both surrounded and under the nose of the spectator’s! His technique in all three effects is well worth learning.

Hope this helps a little.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
I have the Kennedy "Magic Castle" version, and it is great. Sometimes I get screams during the performance. The women also like it. Just kidding. This is a great item, and should be in every magicians close up case. Smile
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Acrobatic Matchbox! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL