The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The December 2002 entrée: Banachek » » "Leap of Faith" (Steve Martin movie) » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Indyfan
View Profile
Regular user
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
173 Posts

Profile of Indyfan
As a new fan of mentalism (admittedly thanks to Banachek), I've been reading all your posts & those articles on your website.

Regarding your Fakes & Frauds link, I found the Peter Popoff article very much like the movie "Leap of Faith" (or vice versa).

Do you have any comments on that movie. It 'now' appears to me, there's more fact to that movie than fiction!

Thanks for all your posts, so far, Banachek. You've inspired me to get into this fascinating art!
Amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.
Banachek
View Profile
V.I.P.
Houston
1086 Posts

Profile of Banachek
No we were not called to help with the movie. But we know for a fact it was based upon our revelations of Poppoff's ministry.

Despite no credit, it gives me great satisfaction to know we contributed to this great movie.
In thoughts and Friendship
Banachek
Campus Performer of the Year two years in a row
Year 2000 Campus Novelty Act
PEA Creativity Award Recipient
http://www.banachek.com
MOTO42
View Profile
Loyal user
Whitehouse Texas
225 Posts

Profile of MOTO42
Is it just me, or does John Edwards remind you of Peter Popoff?
"One man's miracle is another man's warm-up"
Banachek
View Profile
V.I.P.
Houston
1086 Posts

Profile of Banachek
A litte bit. I think Poppoff is more dramatic and much more dynamic. Edwards is great at what he does, fast, but not dramatic or dynamic in a large sort of way. I am not sure he could fill up a huge arena the way Poppoff does but then again it may be unfair of me to say that since I have not seen him in a large room, maybe he is so good he plays down to the smaller groups on his TV show
Banachek
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2205 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
I think part of his success is working in more intimate arenas. It makes the whole process seem more personal. Almost one on one. people will buy into that. But I don't think that they will by into it if you are performing to a few thousand people. Then you are lumped into the 'fake' category. It smacks of a certain mentality that says
'larger crowds = more money= fake' After all we all know a true psychic isn't in it for the money. His powers don't work that way.

Chad
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Good point chad, the view now is, Who's edwards hurting? He's just sending posetive messages. The words of the blind..
Banachek
View Profile
V.I.P.
Houston
1086 Posts

Profile of Banachek
I think you have a point chad, but he miracle workers work large arenas, they have hundereds of thousands of people gather and still get away with thier fake ploys. There is a certain emotion that is evoked when you have thousands of people crying out loud in astonishment. A certain crowd mentality forms with larger crowds that you do not get with smaller crowds. And if you good, you keep control and direct that mentality to do your bidding.

THere were many spiritualists in the 19th century that worked very large crowds. Most of them went over into evengelism, but many of the evangelists were spiritulists.

I think it can be done. I say think only because this is a different day and time and it may be harder to break through to that level and be considered legit.
Banachek
Indyfan
View Profile
Regular user
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
173 Posts

Profile of Indyfan
Quote:
On 2002-12-19 12:40, Banachek wrote:
A certain crowd mentality forms with larger crowds that you do not get with smaller crowds.

On the movie theme, a good quote from "MIB" that fits your comment is "A person is smart.....People are dumb..."
Amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.
Andy Leviss
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1179 Posts

Profile of Andy Leviss
Quote:
On 2002-12-19 12:37, Dr_Zodiac wrote:
Good point chad, the view now is, Who's edwards hurting? He's just sending posetive messages. The words of the blind..

To put it briefly, the main problem is that he short circuits the natural grieving process. There are also some other potentially psychologically damaging aspects to it that others are far more qualified to speak on (Richard Busch wrote a great piece for Visions a while back on this, it may still be up in the "Other Visions" section).
Note: I have PMs turned off; if you want to reach me, please e-mail [email]Andy.MagicCafe@DucksEcho.com[/email]!
Banachek
View Profile
V.I.P.
Houston
1086 Posts

Profile of Banachek
Zodiac, I notice you say "the view now is" that preceeds your statement, therefore I take it you fully understand the damage Edwards and his kind do and do not agree with the "positive stagement" argument that you mention others say. I just wanted to point that out before people confuse Andy's reply above.. Andi was agree with you if this is the case.

Andy hit the nail right on the head, there is a natural grieving process that humans have to go through with any loss no matter how or small in order to move on. Edwards is putting a wall up in the middle of that process. I talk about this at the following link in this forum in more detail:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=83

Here is a a partial excerpt from that post. I repeat it only because I really think this is important. And this is a perfect personal example of the kind of damage Edwards does:

Edwards in my opinion is an out right fraud and scum. Hard words yes, but he is taking advantage of people's most precious moment of need for his own fame and furtherment. I had a friend of our family who went to a spiritualist. After she believed her son who had passed away communicated with her everyday. She began to neglect the rest of her family. Her other children who where here and needed a mother. Her husband almost divorced her. The story goes on and on. But it was all due to that brief moment of "relief and happiness" the spiritualist brought to her. Hey, to me a crack junkie feels happiness and relief when they shoot up, but does that mean I should give it to them?
Banachek
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Yes, I agree andi. I was just stating a general misconception, Not quite so elquently.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The December 2002 entrée: Banachek » » "Leap of Faith" (Steve Martin movie) » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL