The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Your name.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
What would you do if there was another magician out there who happen to have the same name as you but personified everything you hate in a bad magician?

E.g. undercharging, no/bad costume, unprofessional, generally dodgy etc!

hypothetically of course...
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Good question. I know that there is another magician who goes by Mr Bill in the US. I am in Canada (although I do a bit of travelling down there). I have no idea of how he performs or anything. But I also use Mr Bill D Entertainer which is slightly different. I have considered changing my performing name to just Bill D. The only problem is that everyone who knows me, calls me Mr Bill. I have been stuck with that name for about 15 years now.

I also had my Company name match up with some-one in Alberta Canada. When I registered my business, nothing came up with the name, because the registration is only for your province. Upon doing internet searches after about a year under the name I came across another company doing exactly the same thing. DJing and magician. He had looked already established, whereas mine was not, I changed my company name as soon as I could out of respect (even though I never informed him of anything or met him...).

Legally I don't think there is anything you can do about names that are actually the person's real name.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Do your show and don't worry about it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Nicholas
I pity the fool who uses my name to advance his career, because I use it every day, and I'm barely making a living.
HAVE FUN
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
AmazingEARL
View Profile
Veteran user
Tennessee, USA
350 Posts

Profile of AmazingEARL
Years ago, I presented my Christmas program at a convention in Canada...and someone was apparently taking copious notes. According to reports, they attempted to not only do my material, but emulate my tramp character and even billed himself as "The Amazing EARL!"

His version was so poorly received that he never repeated it. International lawsuits are complex and expensive, but I certainly would have chased him as far as I could.

Problem is, I doubt that community will ever book *me*, now.

Dan/EARL
Smoky Mountain Magic
http://www.SmokyMtMagic.com
"We build AMAZING things"
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1157 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
The Screen Actors Guild has rules about names - if you wanted to join as Nicholas J Johnson & there was already a member using that name you'd have to use a different one. Even if NJJ was your real name & the person using it was really named Elmo Wotzit.

I wonder if the Am. Guild of Variety Artists, way back when it was a real organization, had a similar rule?

In any case, there seems to be no such rule for magicians today, unless maybe you register your name as a business name or trademark or something.
Doug Arden
View Profile
Special user
886 Posts

Profile of Doug Arden
Do we need to start another thread for the rather large group of magical entertainers who are using names completely different from ours, but personify everything we hate in a bad magician?

E.G.undercharging, no/bad costume, unprofessional, generally dodgy etc!

hypothetically of course...
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
It's already been said (albeit differently…) but we each have reasonable measures to protect our "stage name" if we avail ourselves of them, then you can do anything with in you LEGAL right to extend that protection to your business and success.

Just affirming our right to take action and responsibility (Sorry for swearing… Hehehehe!) for our own business success... THAT too is being "professional", right?

Good stuff!

I am at your service and In HIS Service,
Deano
<><
Dean Hankey, *M.D. - The Dean of Success Solutions!
Serving & Supporting YOU and Your Success!
"Book More Shows... Make More Money... SERVE MORE PEOPLE! - Not Necessarily In That Order…"

(*Marketing Doctor) Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Your name.... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL