The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Wacky costumes for adults (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
My children's costumes have always been very wacky but for adults always very sophiscated.

However, as my adult style of performing becomes more OTT, risky and interesting, I'd like my costume to match.

For example, I present myself as a con artist and I would like to dress in a more stereotypical 1930's con artist costume. A real 1930's high pants Zoot suit!

How have others faired with more elaborate or unusual costumes for adults?
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Not well I assume....
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Actually EVERYTHING I do is in unusual costuming. But I do a lot of performance art stuff and ren faires. In a Clive Barkeresque Hellraiser performance, I was dressed in electrical tape, a leather waist cincher and a lip spreader which exposed all of my teeth. The illusion was attaching multiple shark hooks to my victim (Sylver on the Café). A show I did last weekend was the closest I have ever come to dressing like a "Normal" magician. Black slacks, tight black vest, no shirt and a top hat.
It felt wierd.
Ren fests...That one is obvious.
Really, I just dress for what fits the show.
I just prefer odd shows.
Gwyd
Keairao
View Profile
New user
Toronto, Ontario
12 Posts

Profile of Keairao
Go with the zoot suit!! I love 'em!

I'm in the same boat as gsidhe, I usually end up performing in pvc, electrical tape, etc. Except in our performances the shark hooks aren't an illusion. Once I wore nothing but rope (japanese bondage style made into a dress) and some tiny undergarments, looked great, but very uncomfortable!
I've found e-bay is a great resource if you have a good idea of what you're looking for and know your size (although I usually ask the seller if the sizes are a bit smaller or larger....everything fits differently - and I sew, so I can do my own alterations if need be...)
For a con artist...maybe try the sterotypical tv preacher or the old western style that makes me think of a medicine show.....
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Sounds like we work the same kind of shows Keairao...
We do have real suspension work in our shows as well, but the fakes were used so they could be torn out. Not something you want to do with real hooks.
Gwyd
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I find the more OTT costumes make you more noticable at events. They make you stand out from the crowd and instantly recognisable as THE entertainment.
dbmagic123
View Profile
Regular user
Evansville Indiana
198 Posts

Profile of dbmagic123
I just went to wearing the zoot suite for my family & kid shows and it has worked out very well, it fits my whole wild and wacky concept.

Don
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
I prefer a more subtle and demure presentation myself - REALITY CHECK - OTT is the way to go - look like an entertainer - no ambiguity - and Zoot Suits look great - zany and classy - there's a good mix.
Southwest Sam
View Profile
New user
Indiana
59 Posts

Profile of Southwest Sam
IMO WACKY means FUN & Colorful, Crazy of a sorts but not so colorful in print that it hurts the eye or looks bad in photos.

I tend to dress in a mixture of black & grey plaid and my BIG top hat then let my effects come across as Wacky (i.e. colored sponge balls & ropes, large production boxes, etc.). However, I can see where the Zoot suit is a good choice.

When performing my Wacky WIld West Show, my outfit is colorful yet Wacky as all get out. I chose that outfit rather than a more traditional Cowboy dress inorder to let the kids know once they hit the door that they are in for one Fun & Crazy time.

Let us know how it turns out.

~SAM

Click here to view attached image.
Now performing as...
-Suitcase Sam
& his Ukulele
Music ~ Comedy ~ Magic
www.facebook.com/SuitcaseSam
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Wacky costumes for adults (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL