The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Staging curtains (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sb
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of sb
I am in the "lets see if this is financially feasable planning stage" of a pretty exciting semi long run (3 months, or more-hopefully) stage/a few illusions show.

Here's what I have, I stage in a large "wharehouse" type building.

Heres what I need.....
this stage is not really a stage but it is going to work fine as a stage. But there are no curtains. So I need to have a "curtain set up" put in place. The building is tall but not tall enough for any fly space to actually fly an entire curtain up.

the main things needed here are:

A black backdrop (possibly a fiber optic curtain, but this does not matter yet). this does not need to move. This will serve as the most upstage curtain, and be used for about 3/4 of the full stage routines.

A mylar curtain will be used for a few routines (asrah, and an effect that uses a small mirror) so the mylar curtain needs to be able to go in and out. Any problems mounting this on a traveller? I've used a myler curtain on a pipe that flys in and out, but I've never seen one go out via a traveller. This will be slightly downstage of the black back curtain, and will be used for about 1/4 of the full stage routines.

A main front curtain front curtain. Of course this can go out via a traveller. But I've seen curtaing that go up kind of like a blind. Greg Frewin has a blue curtain like this on his theater video on his site. I like the look of this but don't know anything about this. This curtain will serve as a backdrop for all of the in one routines.

I also would like another "pipe" in the middle of the stage that can go up. I will use this for 2 routines that part of an illusion goes up into the air (unfortunatley, this really is important, as one of the people who are financially responsible for getting this show going, was sold on the show because of one of these 2 routines. In reality, I only NEED to do this for one of the routines, but if I have the capabilities I will use it for both). Basically, think of an illusion like an elevator that comes down or a "coocoon" where the prop goes up. Neither is what we are doing, but both seem to give a clear idea of what needs to happen for me. One idea I have for this, is to just use chain motors to lift this one pipe.

I also need a truss hung infront of the stage and in the middle of the stage for lighting. And maybe a third for lighting on the stage.

Whew.....

Would the best way to do all of this be to rent/lease a self standing stage from a staging company? Or, is it possible to have this "rigged" (proffesionally of course) from the ceiling of the building (I don't even know if that is legal or possible...) This would eliminate the need for stands, and any of the cross grid work from upstage to down stage.

any thoughts?

scott b
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1832 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Scott...
I can help you with most of this, including the rigging and the purchase of most of your needs. We consult design and install lighting and rigging into other touring shows and permanent installs as well.

There are some pros and cons to renting. It really comes down to how you want to spend your monsy, storage space and also what your long term plans are after this three month run.

Currently we fly a biparting grand traveler inside of a full proscenium, teaser and legs and that is in a touring show. So I am confident we can help you with a temporary install.

Shoot me out an email or PM and I'll do what I can to help you out.

Kevin
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
sb
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of sb
Kevin, I am very excited that you chimed in here. I PM'ed you.

scott
Michael Taggert
View Profile
Special user
Fredericksburg Virginia
656 Posts

Profile of Michael Taggert
Keep me posted on your progress as Im trying a similar set up here! still in the LOOKING FOR A backer stage.
MIke Taggert Fredericksburg VA
sb
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of sb
Kevin, thanks for taking the time to talk to me about ALL of this. I am very excited that this is all do-able!

Michael, I certainly will update you if this all comes together.

scott b
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Staging curtains (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL