The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The August 2006 entrée: Simon Aronson » » Complete routines incorporating the mem'd deck » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

chrismatt
View Profile
Special user
Why would you read any of my
978 Posts

Profile of chrismatt
I would most appreciate your thoughts on the best effects to use in building a complete routine incorporating the mem'd deck. Have you ever constructed an entire routine with every effect relying on the mem'd deck? What are the best non-mem'd deck effects (whether yours or someone else's) to use in such a routine? Obviously, tricks like Venon's "Triumph" that maintain the stack are great.

Have you ever followed a mem'd deck routine with a card effect that doesn't rely on the stack (after the stack is destroyed)? I've found it better usually to move on to something different (like a book test).

Basically, I'm asking about routining ideas.

Thank you,
CM
Details make perfection, but perfection is no detail.
Simon Aronson
View Profile
1943 - 2019
74 Posts

Profile of Simon Aronson
I've answered this elsewhere, in several other threads. But the short answer is:

my DVD Volume 3 does exactly what you want.

Simon
"There's a world of difference between a spectator's not knowing how something is done versus his knowing that it can't be done."

Shuffle-bored (1980)

http://www.simonaronson.com
Flying Magus
View Profile
Loyal user
286 Posts

Profile of Flying Magus
Just an example from a corporate function I had the other night. I had 15 minutes left of a 2 hour strolling job, and wanted to do material that people hadn't already seen me do. Some guests had begun to leave and so, for the first time that night, there was table space available. That meant mem-deck time.

I kind of improvised the set from routines I often do separately. Here's how it went:

Two Card "No Touch" Location (from Bound to Please) with the piles dealt face-up.

Claiming to have memorised the cards in the two piles, I then simply called them out in stack order, thus reseting the small part of the stack that had been upset. (see A Subtle Game in Encyclopaedia of Card Tricks)

Finally I finished with Christ-Aronson Aces which can be found on Simon's website.

All up, I had about 15 minutes of strong material that gave the overall impression of complete mastery over a shuffled deck of cards. I was particularly pleased with A Subtle Game, as I hadn't thought of using it in that manner before. I don't think I would want to do it with the entre deck, but with a dozen cards or so, it's great.
So, yes, an entire mem-deck routine is not only possible, but kind of cool too.
Magically yours,

Michel Fouché
Believe in the Impossible
Simon Aronson
View Profile
1943 - 2019
74 Posts

Profile of Simon Aronson
Michel

Nice idea for restacking "Two Card No Touch Location," creating yet another effect! And then you're still in business. Good sequence.

Simon
"There's a world of difference between a spectator's not knowing how something is done versus his knowing that it can't be done."

Shuffle-bored (1980)

http://www.simonaronson.com
chrismatt
View Profile
Special user
Why would you read any of my
978 Posts

Profile of chrismatt
Quote:
On 2006-08-24 21:36, Flying Magus wrote:
I kind of improvised the set from routines I often do separately. Here's how it went:

Two Card "No Touch" Location (from Bound to Please) with the piles dealt face-up.

Claiming to have memorised the cards in the two piles, I then simply called them out in stack order, thus reseting the small part of the stack that had been upset. (see A Subtle Game in Encyclopaedia of Card Tricks)

Finally I finished with Christ-Aronson Aces which can be found on Simon's website.

All up, I had about 15 minutes of strong material that gave the overall impression of complete mastery over a shuffled deck of cards. I was particularly pleased with A Subtle Game, as I hadn't thought of using it in that manner before. I don't think I would want to do it with the entre deck, but with a dozen cards or so, it's great.
So, yes, an entire mem-deck routine is not only possible, but kind of cool too.

That's the kind of routine I was asking about. Thanks for sharing this, FM. Does anyone else have a combination of mem'd deck tricks that they think would make a great routine?

Thanks to all,
CM
Details make perfection, but perfection is no detail.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Past, Present and Future leads quite nicely into Shuffle-Bored as you know the number of cards on the table. I think Simon refers to this in Simply Simon.

So . . . how about:

Invisible Card (From TTI, easy stack reset)
Past Present Future
Shuffle-Bored

They'll need a chance to catch their breath after that!

Jack Shalom
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The August 2006 entrée: Simon Aronson » » Complete routines incorporating the mem'd deck » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL