The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Swordswallowing faux pas (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

scaress
View Profile
Veteran user
salt lake city
337 Posts

Profile of scaress
hi there,
I was thinking of buying a collapsable sword and using it for a gag.
before I cough up the money (haha, pun), does anyone who put the work into real swordswallowing find this offensive?
thanks.
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
It is swordism at its worse! When will people stop ridiculing Sword Swallowing Americans (and those from other and diverse cultures)? I hope you got the point sir, I realize it is hard to handle, but you seem rather sharp.
Steve V
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
If you use it as a gag and expose what you are doing, and never say that you are a swordswallower, there is no problem.

Brett.
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
Loyal user
Cincinnati, Ohio
203 Posts

Profile of erikkloeker
Yes, a lot of Sword Swallowers take offense to the use of gag swords. I would say pick a different magic trick to do, and if you must use it then be sure to let the audience know that there are sword swallowers that do it for real. The use of these perpetuates the "Sword Swallowing is fake" a good performer will prove to the audience that it is real, but there are still always some that will say I've seen a magician do that trick before. Just my opinion, take it for what it's worth.
Quote:
On 2006-08-28 20:57, scaress wrote:

hi there,
before I cough up the money (haha, pun), does anyone who put the work into real swordswallowing find this offensive?
thanks.

Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Quote:
On 2006-08-28 20:57, scaress wrote:

hi there,
thanks.

It really depends upon how you use it. If you are trying to pass it off as real skill, then it does not reflect well on the the true demonstration. Also, it is doubtful you will be able to make it look believible. When people see real sword swallowing done they often feel it's a trick. So what are they going to think when it IS a trick?

As a gag, it can be funny. Strive to do something original with it.

Todd
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Also be sure that if you do the fake swallow, you do not book yourself as a Sword Swallower. If something goes wrong and it is exposed accidentally you are now in breach of contract.
Don't ever try to pass it off as real, especially not to the ones booking your show.

Personally, I don't do it anymore.
Felt it was taking away from the ones doing it for real.
Gwyd
scaress
View Profile
Veteran user
salt lake city
337 Posts

Profile of scaress
I'm not commited to it yet, just trying to revamp my show.

maybe I'll hold off until I think of something original to do with it.

thanks for your help.

I hope I don't get sued by the SSA (Sword Swallowing Americans). they'd might get my fake sword and my crappy car for a settlement.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I do this as a gag and it kills.

(hey TWO unintended puns in one sentance)
rkrahlmann
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of rkrahlmann
When people see real sword swallowing done they often feel it's a trick. So what are they going to think when it IS a trick?

This reminds me of a joke:

Two astornomers were talking, and the first one says "Why do you think people always thought the sun revoled around the Earth?"

The second responds, "I guess because it looked that way."

The first pauses, then says, "Well, what would it have looked like if it looked the Earth was going around the sun?"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Swordswallowing faux pas (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL