The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Getting it big (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Joey Jones
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of Joey Jones
I am 13 and preform close up...linking rings, change bag, etc. I hope to preform at amusement parks and cruise ships when I get older. How do I make it so big? The necessary skill is not an issue. How would I practice illusions (zig zag girl, Mismade girl etc.) with out a stage?

Thanks!!

-Joe
ThePartyMagician
View Profile
Loyal user
Bristol, UK
216 Posts

Profile of ThePartyMagician
I suggest you contact Brad Ross:

http://www.bradross.com

He appears to have been successful at performing illusions etc. at a fairly early age (not quite as young as you though!)

Be warned that there is no shortcut to success - but there are plenty of people on this board who can hopefully help you on your journey!

Best regards
Mike
London
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A.
769 Posts

Profile of London
First of all Joey , welcome to the Café I see you are new hear.
Now to answer your question(s). First I do not know a single answer as to "how to make it so big". Making it at all any where will come with education time hard work and a lot of failures in between. I wouldn't worry so much about making it right now. Just keep working at your magic and making it the best it can be.
And as far as practicing the illusions. I don't know many 13 year olds that can afford zig zags and mismade girls. (not to be confused with messed up girls wich you should be able to find at your age). Anyway all joking aside. The illusions are something that I would not put too much energy towards at the moment. You said you do close up. The items you mentioned "linking rings etc" are more stand up / parlor. They will work well on stage aswell if played properly. If you want to start working and working your way up. Start by learning how to properly routine a show. Put together 30 minutes of your best stuff. Show everyone you can. Do shows for family friends school or at this point anyone willing to sit and watch. You will learn as your do it for a while on what works and what doesn't. Slowly and I mean slowly build up to a large stage show if that's want you want in the long run. Save you money and maybe in a few months or whatever after you have been working with what you got , you can afford to buy or have built a illusion you want and are sure you can travel with to shows. That one illusion will be your "feature" effect. Build upon it. Then possibly months to a year later after working with what you have maybe the it will be the right time to add another larger item. But do not rush it. Work with what you got. Worry about making it very well polished. Slowly build up. Other wise you may end up with a bunch or crap you and your parents wasted a crap load of money on that you find out you just can't use or carry from show to show etc. Just remember you can't rush success. I wish you the best of luck and keep asking questions. That is the only way you will find out the answers.

THOUGHTfully,
London
THOUGHTfully,

LONDON
Joey Jones
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of Joey Jones
Thanks so much London and party magician! Soo, I continue to practice and practice, and eventually build up...But How do I get the actual job/gig. For example David Garrity (dont know if you know him)preforms at six flags new england, and I want something similar to that... not HUGE but just a decent stage and audience. How do I get that?

Thanks Sooooo much!
ThePartyMagician
View Profile
Loyal user
Bristol, UK
216 Posts

Profile of ThePartyMagician
If you're looking at something like Six Flags, contact Brad Ross -he's been there and done it. He should be able to help point you in the right direction....

But first I suggest you read London's post again - there is a TON of wisdom and helpful advice in there.

Best regards
Mike
LeeDillingham
View Profile
Loyal user
Las Vegas
263 Posts

Profile of LeeDillingham
In addition to the great advice above, I would suggest that you get involved with your local IBM Ring. Let the local magician know your interest. Once they know that you are serious, you will be invited to participate in what they are doing.
poofersmagic
View Profile
Regular user
philadelphia
134 Posts

Profile of poofersmagic
Hi Joey,

You can also contact your local SAM and find out if there is an SYM (society of young magicians) in your area. That would be a great place to start as well and make new friends and gain experience. I know that there are several SYM assemblies in CT. For information on the SYM contact Jann Goodsell at bravesjann@comcast.net and she can help you find one in your area.

Also, every year at the SAM national convention, they have a stars of tomorrow show featuring young people ages 7-17. If you have any interest in that, you can contact Hope Anderson at hopemagic@aol.com and she can give you all the information.

Hope this helps and keep us posted.

Kelly
Kelly Peron
Magician and Magical Partner
http://www.kyleandkellymagic.com
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
London has given you some excellent advice. The ladder of success starts with you doing shows for little or no money for community service organizations, senior citizen centers, nursing homes, etc.

World Champion Magician Michael Ammar got his start in Bluefield, WV, where he performed once a month at each of the four senior citizen homes for very little money. Even Michael pointed out that everyone needs someplace to be bad. That's where you polish your act.

Work on the 30 minute "club act" that you can perform as a solo performer under just about any conditions for any audience. Classics like the Linking Rings are classics for a good reason - they can be performed anywhere. If you start adding illusions too soon you will limit where you can perform. Even Harry Blackstone, Jr., who had a large scale illusion show, performed his simple club act more often that the illusions.

Polish that 30 minute act to perfection every chance you can get. Then start adding material. In ten years you will be ready for a cruise. When you are, go for it and have a great ride.

Break a thread...
Jim
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Getting it big (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL