The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Which reel? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Banester
View Profile
Special user
669 Posts

Profile of Banester
I am looking for some suggestions on my first purchase of a thread reel. I have "UFO" now and like the effect and the use of thread, now I would like to expand my use of it. I have seen the ITR, Python pull, Spider pen and many others. what are the plus and minus of some of these? Also, are there magnetic tipped ones? And one thing I really hated was trying to seperate the threads, do any of these come with preloaded packets? Thanks !
The art of a magician is to create wonder.
If we live with a sense of wonder, our lives
become filled with joy
-Doug Henning-
Watchmaker
View Profile
Veteran user
369 Posts

Profile of Watchmaker
I know this isn't really answering your question but one thing I have learned about reels is that you really have to use it yourself. Going by a description in an ad or by someone else is hard. It not always what you expect.

You really have to feel them in your hand or get an idea of the tension of each reel. I realize this can be said for buying anything but especially for something mechanical like a reel if possible, go to a magic shop and get them in your hand. Try to have a good idea of what you want to have it for before you go in.

As far as seperating the threads, just sit down on some cold winter night when your watching the boob tube and start pulling them apart. Wind then seperately around an old playing card and you will be set for a couple of years. n
EvilGenius
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of EvilGenius
Check some reviews of the reels on this board and others. Penguinmagic has a quite extensive reviews section.
Banester
View Profile
Special user
669 Posts

Profile of Banester
Thanks for the information everyone! Penguin has a great review section and I decided to go with the ITR 2000, just have to wait for them to get it back in stock now. Might order the spider pen as well, they have a pretty good price on it.
The art of a magician is to create wonder.
If we live with a sense of wonder, our lives
become filled with joy
-Doug Henning-
GWSchott
View Profile
Veteran user
Southeastern Michigan
361 Posts

Profile of GWSchott
I have the Spider Pen and really like it. I've heard complaints about quality (i.e. pen parts breaking off, etc.) but haven't had any problems with mine. If you try to handle it like a pen and assume it can take a certain amount of abuse, you're probably going to break it. But if you approach it like a piece of magical equipment I doubt you'll have any problems. Great effect.
Yours In Magic,
Gordon
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I have a Kevlar Pen reel and really like it. However, if you're looking for minimal thread hassles, the Spider pen is the way to go. Just pop in a new thread reel and you're ready to go. I just get tired of the expense of thread and batteries.

Jim
EvanAlexander
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of EvanAlexander
Spider Pen's the way to go if you're sick of fumbling with IT. I will admit I broke the plastic clip off the front of mine within the first few days of experimenting with it, but I emailed Yigal and he sent me a new one, no problem. The ease of just putting in another spool when your thread snaps is fantastic and I haven't had any mechanical problems (motor, internal workings) with it whatsoever. One thing I will add, reiterating Jim's point, is that the Spider Pen's wonderful if you have a lot of replacement spools and batteries, as you will go through both rather quickly if you're not careful and aware. Also, I use fifty foot kevlar thread spools instead of the standard twenty-five foot ones (good for when you want to completely leave the room while your object levitates). You can obtain the 50' kevlar spools from Sorcery's website.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Which reel? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL