The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » MAGIC - The Magazine For Magicians » » New column in Magic magazine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
898 Posts

Profile of David Parr
Some friends have scolded me for not letting them know about this sooner, so I'll put the word out here, and that way I can honestly say I made a formal announcement! The fifteenth anniversary issue of Magic magazine includes my new column, "The Magic Word." It starts in the September issue, which is arriving in mailboxes and magic shops as I type. That's the announcement, which, come to think of it, wasn't very formal.
Scott Compton
View Profile
Special user
Hampton, VA
747 Posts

Profile of Scott Compton
David,

What does the column discuss?
Magic is an art. I am merely a tour guide.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Scott-Compton-Magician/160270640674735

"You are the magic" Jay Ose to Albert Goshman
jamesbond
View Profile
Loyal user
249 Posts

Profile of jamesbond
Looking forward to it!

Bond
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
898 Posts

Profile of David Parr
The column will examine the magic that is just beneath the surface of words we may view as ordinary. Each month a new word will be explored, and I'll explain why I think that an expanded understanding of the word, or looking at the word from a different perspective, could reveal a meaning that would be helpful and important to magicians. I hope it's surprising and fun and that it encourages magicians to spend some time thinking about the words we use -- or should be using.
Scott Compton
View Profile
Special user
Hampton, VA
747 Posts

Profile of Scott Compton
It sounds very interesting!
Magic is an art. I am merely a tour guide.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Scott-Compton-Magician/160270640674735

"You are the magic" Jay Ose to Albert Goshman
ttorres
View Profile
Special user
Rock Hill, SC
513 Posts

Profile of ttorres
Good deal, I think more magicians should take a look at what they are saying in there routines. It is a good idea to “cut the fat”. In other words get rid of anything that doesn’t need to be there or add any missing elements.

I will be looking forward to reading your column.
...the magic that creates Memories!
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4207 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Sounds great! Especially since I just subscribed again!
Thank you Mr. Parr!!!
Alex Linian
View Profile
Inner circle
Peru
1277 Posts

Profile of Alex Linian
That is an awesome idea... There is way too much meaningless patter in magic and this could a step towards ending that trend.

Alex
Jon Dee
View Profile
Regular user
148 Posts

Profile of Jon Dee
Great, I am going to read it right now.

jd
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
898 Posts

Profile of David Parr
My description of "The Magic Word" was a bit vague, because I don't want to take the sense of discovery out of reading it. The column is not really a guide to script-writing, although I may broach that subject at some point. It's more of a contemplation on words that we use every day and how they might apply -- or be better applied -- to magic.
Jim Stan Magic Man
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago Area
241 Posts

Profile of Jim Stan Magic Man
I always make sure to read David's article in MAGIC. There is a lot of thought put into these. You should also check out his book "Brain Food". I have read through this book twice. You always pick up something else everytime you read it.
Regards,
Jim
David Parr
View Profile
V.I.P.
898 Posts

Profile of David Parr
Hi Jim. Good to see you here! Thanks for your kind assessment of my work. I'm pleased to know that you're enjoying "The Magic Word."

As I've suggested elsewhere on this site, I hope readers who like the columns and articles offered in Magic will consider sending Stan Allen a note to let him know that they appreciate the direction in which he's taking the magazine. Send email to Stan at: editor(at)magicmagazine.com

A few words of encouragement go a long way!
Jim Stan Magic Man
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago Area
241 Posts

Profile of Jim Stan Magic Man
David,
Will do. Hopefully we will see you at the Knights of Sleights Flea Market again this year. It will be held at the same location (and the night before) as the collectors convention.

Best regards,
Jim
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » MAGIC - The Magazine For Magicians » » New column in Magic magazine (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL