The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The day of Conjunction is nigh (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2054 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
Here's an advance look at something that many of you have been asking about:

Conjunction -- the REAL self-linking business card

Available mid-Novemberish. Please address any questions, comments, and/or wild speculations to this thread.
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
Trestkon
View Profile
New user
Canada
94 Posts

Profile of Trestkon
Interesting Smile How long (in real time) does it take you to execute the trick?
-Larry
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2054 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
Once you get it down, about two minutes.
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
papawemba
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of papawemba
YYYYYYYYyyyyeeess Quinn !!!!! Smile
I have been waiting a year for this moment Smile Smile

I can't access the video right now but can't wait to see it !!!!!!!!!!!
But from what I've heard, Conjunction is very very promising.

Nicolas
Jonathan P.
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1484 Posts

Profile of Jonathan P.
Great. Along with Nicolas, I've been waiting for it for a while. It seems that things are going forward. Keep us informed of the upcoming release.
Many thanks, that sounds like a very twist to the tological possibilities.
Jonathan.
papawemba
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of papawemba
Hello,

I gracefully receive from Quinn a preview booklet of Conjunction, I think he knew my motivation on impossible object and topological effect Smile So this is more a review but since it is not out yet, I leave it in Latest and Greatest.

As I received it, the booklet is 45 pages long, very well written with picture, jokes, inside story, that makes it a joy to read. English is not my native language but I understood everything in a first read. Pictures are very clear and of course help a lot on the method behind Conjunction.
The final product of Conjunction (linked frames) is really nice and deceptive! Yes both frames are really link and you don't have to buy any
glue, no cut and join....a real impossible object Smile
I am already very happy with these linked frames you can just show around as an impossible object!
(I love to make impossible object, and hop, one more in my collection Smile)

In a first part, Quinn shows how to create the Conjunction (linked frame) just to see the principle and how it work. You can use this method to create the object but not as a performance (you do it alone Smile). Not very hard, I did it in first try!
In a second part, Quinn shows how to actually perform the effect with your business card; with folding and tearing. I can tell you there are a lot of steps to create the final product and some step are tricky, that can only be successful with practice ! (I guess nothing new here Smile) You can also find alternative method to ease the process...
What is great is that you leave the spec with an impossible object souvenir with your business card.

Now the downside (beside the number of step to create Conjunction...not easy), is that the Business card must meet some criteria, cannot be done with ANY card.... But Quinn explain this in detail, best paper to use and even gives you brand that
works very well ! So he really knows what he is talking about.

* Con
- Not so easy for a real performance if you follow everything as describe (takes some time and can be frustrating) but I found a less purist way that makes it very easy and quicker ! (you will find it too).
- Business card must meet some criteria (so it is better to do it with your business card, is it really a con after all ?...)

* Pro
- In all case, the final product is an impossible object that can be left for souvenir; Not very common.
- I found an easy way to perform it (you will find it too).
- Originality!
- Pack small (it's in your wallet).

So if you:
- Like topological effect that leave spec with a strange object to bring home,
- Like original effect,
- Don't mind for a little craft,

The probability that you like Conjunction is very high Smile
Also I did not actually perform the effect but I already love the linked frame that can be showed around ! (those can be done easely)

Thanks Quinn to bring this original effect !

Nicolas
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2054 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
Thanks for the comments, Nicolas. I know you've been waiting for this for a long time, so if it lives up to your expectations, that makes me very happy.

To address a couple points...

First off, as Nicolas said, this is not a get-it-today, perform-it-tonight effect. (Not that any of them should be, but you know what I mean.) It will definitely take some practice to learn how to make the linked rings. It's not difficult in the way that learning something like an invisible pass is difficult; it's more akin to learning how to make an origami bird, or make a Jacob's ladder out of a loop of string. None of the steps are particularly hard, but there are quite a few of them, and they need to be performed correctly and in the right order. However, once you understand how it's done, it comes very naturally and you won't be able to remember what seemed so tricky about it at first.

Second, as to the requirements of the card, I want to make this as clear and explicit as I can without giving too much away. It's possible to make a set of linked rings from any card, but in order for the result to be deceptive, the card will have to meet certain requirements in terms of its design and its materials. That's as specific as I can be, but the bottom line is this: If you just want to create a pair of linked rings, you can definitely do so with your current business card. If you don't want people to be able to tell how you did it, you may or may not be able to pull that off with your current card. And if you want the linked rings to still have your name and contact info intact on them, it's very likely that you'll need new cards. I have occasinally come across cards that allowed for that as-is, but they've been few and far between. However, if you like the idea of the effect but don't want to change your card, there is a section of variations and alternate ideas that you can use.

I'm ironing out final revisions to the manuscript now, including a foreword from a highly respected performer and author whose contribution I'm honored to have. Still on track for a mid-November release, so stay tuned.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The day of Conjunction is nigh (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL