The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Presentational Ideas (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jondark445
View Profile
Special user
716 Posts

Profile of jondark445
Hi All:

Okay, there are a few rope tricks that I want to add to my act. But here's the thing: presentationally, I find them all boring. In essence, what I have is a few rope effects in which all the presentations are nothing but explanations of what you're doing with the ropes.

Anyone have any suggestions or advice to help me spice this up a bit. I've turned it over and over in my mind and can't seem to come up with anything creative or interesting.

Help!!!

--Jon
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5473 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Okay... I am certainly not recommending that you copy the routine, but if you want to see an inspirational take on presentation, check out Cyril's rope routine from the 2001 World Magic Seminar in Japan. Additionally, pick up a copy of Shigeo Takagi's VHS tape, called "Far East Mysteries of Shigeo Takagi." Be aware that there are actually two tapes by the same name; one is rope magic, the other is cards & coins. Both are great, and possibly still available from Stevens.

Best of luck!
graywolf
View Profile
Special user
South carolina
631 Posts

Profile of graywolf
Sandsational by George Sands...
Cordially, Howard
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Put a hangman's noose in one end of the rope, and make up a story about a hanging gone wrong.

Put a cowboy's lariat loop in one end, and use a tale about cowboys and Indians.

Make it a silent comedy routine, where you keep trying to cut a rope and it always magically restores.

Use different colored ropes, and tie in gypsy magic relating to colors.

Tie knots in the rope (learn some really FANCY ones!), and use a story about sailors.

Make it about ANYTHING but the rope itself.

Tie together (pun intended) several 'tricks' - maybe even including some that don't involve rope - into a coherent routine that creates a compelling story.

And remember that magic isn't about the TRICK, it's about the PRESENTATION!
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
SteveM
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of SteveM
The hanging thing might hurt some, it's happening a lot recently, but good ideas!
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Check out the comedy potential in a rope routine:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=......mp;hl=en
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
The hanging may hurt some, it is happening a lot recently? Where the heck you live, Central Africa?
Steve V
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Whit's is a class act. You can see a lot of work went into it.

Also, check out Steve Bedwell's "In over your head".

Check out the Cellini DVDs.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
SteveM
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of SteveM
Well, at my brothers school, there have been 3 kids hang themselves in, like, 2 weeks. You're always on my case, huh, Steve? I was just trying to be cautious. I didn't think that many people thought hanging jokes were funny. Actually, it's Alabama not Africa, but it's close en0ugh.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Jordak,
I find that some bad one-liners mixed in with the rope tricks works for me, but not everybody can tell a joke. Just put your tricks together and start talking. The more you do it, the better your presentation will become. That's how I'd do it, or watch Whit's videos several times, and his greatness will rub off on you. It is not about the rope, it's all about the magician and style.
HAVE FUN
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
Three people in your brothers school? Dang. See, here in California, the kids are too lazy to make nooses. Is that my pal Steve? Didn't realize it was you! Good to see ya!
Steve V
thecardtrick
View Profile
New user
Northern NJ
72 Posts

Profile of thecardtrick
Mr. Haydn:
You're handling at the end is real nice. The ending is especially difficult for me. Sincere thanks for sharing this video.

The bit about fresh pixie dust - was that improvised?

Another thought: Do you think your Prof's Nightmare could be stronger if you didn't initially, after cutting, show the 3 pieces of rope to be the same length? It seems that audiences, once they've seen that the ropes can appear the same length, might not appreciate the stretching effect as much.

Perhaps after cutting and restoring, you could put that rope away and say, "This knot also works to join 3 pieces of rope, but they also all have to be the same length. Well, at one of my earlier classes, I instructed a student to cut his rope into 3 EQUAL pieces, and he ended up with this (shake head, hold up the three pieces for Prof's Nightmare). Luckily, once we learn the magic words and technique, poor cutting like this is no longer a problem ..." I feel like if you do that, you can play the stretching up even bigger.

Or you could have marks, so you know where to cut like the earlier student did, and so you are still using the same rope.

If I were you, I wouldn't change anything. It's a thought, though, that might help other magicians who haven't spent years working out a flawless routine like you have.

- thecardtrick
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Presentational Ideas (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL