The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Dove help (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

boppies2
View Profile
Elite user
Arizona
422 Posts

Profile of boppies2
I recently bought a new Dove. He is about five months old and the last few days doesn't look good. He 'puffs' himself up and just sits very still in his cage. Compared to my previous dove this one is very listless.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Two possibilities come to mind. First, there may be a draft in his cage. He'll puff up and sit still to keep warm. Second and probably more likely is that he has a respiratory infection. Are it's eyes open or closed, watery or clear? Does it settle down if you hold it and does it look like it's breathing heavier with it's beak open? If option two fits, then you need to get to an avian vet as soon as possible.

If you just got it, it might just be the trauma of getting a new home. It will pass in a few days but if you've had it for more than a week or so, then he should be acclamated by now.
Where the magic begins
boppies2
View Profile
Elite user
Arizona
422 Posts

Profile of boppies2
Thanks Dave,
Doesn't appear to be breathing heavy and settles down (looks good) when I hold him or when he is perched on my finger. He was outside for the past few months (Summer in Phoenix), then moved to our A/C home. Now that the weather has started to cool down now we don't use our A/C, but the dove's still acting the same??
I'll keep an eye on him.
Max
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Dove help (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL