The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » First trick, amazing feeling. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

AAC
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of AAC
Well, having praticed my my backslip, I decided to try out a little mentalism trick...

Today was my grandmother's anniversary , so I knew a lot of people were going to be there, so I armed my belt with my weapon of choice...a "ordinary" deck of 52 playing cards...stacked...But nobody would know that part.

Now due to not wanting to totally mess up from being nervous, I decided to go with just one or two people watching me, so I sat down at the table outside with my cousin, his friend, and a friend of the family who is 26 years old, I just had to wait for my cousins little friend to leave cause he was at my bad angle for the sleight, once he got up to get a drink my patience paid off.

So I did the prediction in the wallet trick, backslip forced a card on my cousin after telling him a bunch of mombo jumbo about my dream I had last night that we were all sitting here in these exact spots, we were playing cards and I cut the deck and you got this card, I "rushed from my sleep and wrote the card down"...

blah blah, you get it by now...

He got the 6 of spades, of course he did, I forced it on him...

At this point I knew I had nailed it...being it only took one sleight, and I noticed that my heart was nearly beating out of my chest.

So I finished up by tossing my wallet on the table after taking out the prediction...reading what I had about climaxes, I gave the slip of papper to the friend to read it for me...

The reaction was great, the 26 year old friend of mine started laughing telling me how wild and crazy what he just saw was, my cousin freaked out and started yelling how that had to be a trick, and the 26 year old was still just laughing and told him how that'd be impossible cause "I stopped riffling the cards where he told me to and I just cut the cards at that point", "Yeah, he somehow saw your card, that he never looked at, and pulled out a peice of papper, THAT HE HAD IN HIS WALLET, wrote down the card and stuck back in there, and we didn't see it."

The feeling was so good...lol...I had a hard time keeping the look of utter shock on my face, trying not to smile from ear to ear. It STILL feels good...

I noticed my hands were shaking from nervousness, so I said "LOOK, I'm as freaked out as you are... my hands are shaking!"...That played into it perfectly, it got odd looks from both of them.

My cousin started yelling "Every card in that deck is a 6 of spades!", so, as it wasn't, I did a thumb fan, tossed it on the table and said, look through it yourself. He did of course, then he walked off and the other guy was still just sitting there laughing and giving me odd looks...

So I walked off from the table with "I need a drink after that"...grinning from ear to ear of course.

I never realised one sleight could accomplish so much...I'm SO glad I started looking into card magic, I practiced the sleight last night till I couldn't stay awake anymore, and it was worth it. =D

Well, I just had to tell somebody and I couldn't think of a better place.

I know a one sleight trick isn't a big deal, but I've only been looking into card magic for about a month or so now, so it is to me. =P

I searched for a topic about first tricks, and I couldn't find any, I also went down the entire forum list looking for a forum for it so if there is one, I tried =P.

Maybe a first trick forum is in order?
Card trick hobbyist.
Electronic music producer.
www.soundclick.com/aac
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
Good for you. It always feels good to have people freak out over something you did. It just goes to show. It doesn't matter how easy the trick is, (All you did was a backslip) but it all goes into the presentation.
By the sounds of it, your presentation is pretty good. Good luck with magic. If you are looking or some more card magic books, I suggest "Royal Road to card Magic" by Jean Hugard and Frederick Braue.
And "Expert card Technieque" by The same authors.
Another good one that teaches all sorts of magic is Mark Wilsons "Complete Course in Magic"
Anyway, best of luck to you.
vonbodan
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of vonbodan
Another series of great card magic books besides the ones already mentioned are " Card college series". The backslip force is one of my favorite slieghts. Good job.

Vonbodan
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
Excellent, well done! I think that reaction is why most people pursue magic - it truly is an addictive feeling.

AS said, presentation is everything. You sound like you bought into the effect fully, as you genuinely were nervous - and this makes the whole thing probably seem more real to your spectators. A valuable lesson there, to invest yourself fully in whatever effect you will do, and the effect will be exponentially more powerful to your audience.

Simon
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
afillius
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of afillius
Congratulations! The 1st time I performed I was also shaking like crazy, but it does get better and the reactions like the one you got will keep you motivated.
www.stsgroupinc.com
pro audio/video/lighting

Great magic is about creating great images - Jay Sankey
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Transylvania
1367 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
That's great. I am really glad for you.
the sooner you realize that presentation is extremely important the easier journet you'll have in magic.
keep it up and good luck !

-Matt
The masters make the rules, for the wise men and the fools
Foucault
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey, USA
424 Posts

Profile of Foucault
That's such a great story....and so the journey starts!

By the way, don't get disheartened if you don't always get reactions like this. Many members of the public are not used to seeing magic, and have "forgotten" how to react. But that adreneline rush from such a great first performance should be enough to keep you doing what you're doing.

This is also a great lesson in how powerful something so simple and direct can be.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » First trick, amazing feeling. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL