The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Holiday Rates? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
My philosophy fits in with Destiny's. When I managed a restaurant, my employees were paid double time as an incentive to work Thanksgiving, Christmas Day and New Years Eve.

I also see it as Supply and Demand. I have a commodity (Comedy Entertainment)that is in high demand on these days and in short supply. Several different clients are vying for this service. Years past, I would sit back and watch mediocre entertainers collect fat paychecks for easy gigs while I busted my hump for my regular fees. The local First Night Celebration was paying thousands of dollars to bring entertainers in from out of state...while I was being paid to travel to South Carolina or Tennessee. Why shouldn't that money stay HERE? WHy shouldn't we local entertainers DEMAND that the tax-sponsored planners give patronage to skilled local entertainers? Why shouldn't I charge the same rates they were willing to pay the out-of-state entertainer?

The fact is simply that I am worth whatever my clients are willing to pay to secure my level of service. When these services are in demand, they are WORTH the premium rates. I don't see it as gouging. Rather it's the entertainment market at work.

While developing and maintaining a sound, professional relationship with your clients is important, it's still Show BUSINESS, not Show Friendship. Market demands are a huge part of that...and the professional client will understand this.

My thoughts,
Skip
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
You know Skip, I have had similar problems with the town I lived in hiring out of town entertainers. But I was being hired in their towns. So it was even I guess.

There is the old saying that one cannot be a prophet in one's own town.

It is often harder to prove your worth where you live and perform regularly. Booking outside talent also has the image of fresh different talent.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
BTW, don't get me wrong. I am not trying to imply for a minute that this is the way that all enterainers do their business in my country. That would be an arrogant assumption. We are a pretty big country, and I only know a handful of other entertainers.

I even know of other local entertainers who increase their rates for Christmas party / event shows for dates throughout December and November. I'm just not one of them.

BTW, I really had no idea that certain businesses increase their rates for this season (besides these other local entertainers). Guess I don't use their business. But yes, I do realize that employees get paid extra for working right on holidays.

So, do all of you charge more for shows that are actually on October 31, as well? Because that is another high-demand date besides December 31.

- Donald

P.S. One thing I forgot to mention regarding supply and demand. Because my birthday shows are reduced rates, I will only do birthday shows in December on weekdays. I won't schedule them on weekends, because those are reserved for Christmas customers. I've had this policy for a few years, because I started having birthday parents who were on the ball early, beating Christmas customers to choice weekend dates and times.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Mr. Bill
You have hit on something that I loose sleep over. All of my family, and friends claim I have changed, but it is them that have changed. Many think that because I don't have a day job I am being supported by my wife, some think I must be selling drugs, or I'm doing something illegal, because a juggler magician can't possibly get more than 10 jobs a year. There is nothing I can do to get respect from my family and friends, while others are prasing me my friends are possitive I'm a lazy goof off. I remember seeing people that went to school with Johnny Carson tell a news man that Johnny was never any good.
HAVE FUN
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Al, looks like from your pic that you sleep on one side way too much!

I use this attitude to help drive me to succeed even more. Always try to turn a negative into a positive.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Yes Bill this problem does drive me even harder to succeed. I recently bought a sports car in order to let everyone know I can't be doing too bad. I don't know if it changed anyone's opinion, but it does make me feel better.
Al Angello
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Isn't that called overcompensating?
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On 2006-10-18 08:46, Skip Way wrote:
The fact is simply that I am worth whatever my clients are willing to pay to secure my level of service. When these services are in demand, they are WORTH the premium rates. I don't see it as gouging. Rather it's the entertainment market at work.

Just an apology. I realized that by using the term "gouging" in my earlier post, I might have offended Skip and others, who seemed to focus in on this word I used. It was probably not the best word to choose to describe my point of view.

- Donald
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
Like someone said earlier. Just look at the oil companies. THAT IS GOUGING! And they are having record profits every year.

I like what Skip said earlier, this is show BUSINESS. We need to remember that. I don't think our clients would be upset if they found out we were charging them more for shows on holidays. I think they would completely understand. They probably value those days more than I do in the first place!
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of icentertainment
I charge the same all year round so December is the same as March

but Xmas day , new years eve are higher rates.
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Al! You changed your picture!
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Mr. Bill
Not by any member of the magic Café staff, but by many of the distinguished magic Café members I was reminded that a 61 year old man who is a magic Café grammar host should look, and act like an adult, so I'm trying adulthood out for a while to see if I can pull it off, but remember Bill I still enjoy bathroom humor.
Al Angello
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Why was tigger looking in the toilet?

He was searching for Pooh!
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Don't worry about the 'gouging' comment, Donald. It wasn't offensive. You were just stating an opinion. The discussion is useless if we don't get different perspectives.

I don't worry about customers finding out I charge more on those dates - I tell them. It's accepted practice for everyone else to get more. It is only a shameful secret if we make it that.

I agree totally with Donald about not making cheaper shows available at peak times.
On Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays in a small city there is a lot more available work, than weekdays. Weekdays I have a full range of performances available. Weekends - only the more expensive.

No argument with Skips laws of supply and demand though - recently in Australia, because of a cyclone, bananas went from $4 a kilo to over $12 a kilo. Before Al went all corporate on us he reminded me of one crazy banana.

We have to be reasonable, and while being business like treat our clients fairly. If it's a regular gig, it needs more consideration. One venue, where I had a weekly gig for years, I never charged extra for holidays because they never cancelled a show or asked for a discount in off season.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Aw, heck, Donald! I don't believe there's ANYTHING you could ever say that would offend me...I simply viewed it as your opinion and your belief and you're certainly entitled to that. Heck, bro, we can't agree on Everything! That would be ... well ... we just can't! Smile I saw exactly where you were coming from...used to believe that myself until I finally accepted the fact that I am a commodity...yada yada yada.

Cheers, Pard!
Skip
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Guess I never thought of New Year's Eve itself as a holiday before, and therefor a justification to charge extra. A special event / special date, yes. But not a holiday.

Like I said, if I ever didn't want to work on a date (because of it being a holiday, because of me wanting to spend time with family or friends, etc.), I didn't accept shows in the first place.

- Donald
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Holiday Rates? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL