The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Help with mini Tip-over Trunk (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
I am trying to make a mini tip-over truck out of a cardboard box. I would like to walk on stage with just it, show it empty, then proceed to pull stuff out to do my show, then pack it all back into the box to end.

but, cardboard is not as easy to work with as I had hoped. The box is not square, its flimsy, and it is hard to cut the cardboard pieces to the precise measurements I would like, and I think there will be some critical gaps in the finished piece.

Any suggestions on doing this? Or suggestions on a small(about 1.5 cf) commercial version?

Thanks
John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Mark Wilson (Cyclopedia of Magic) used to make a lot of his illusions from cardboard. You might find some guidance in his book.

I'd make sure to use a good razor blade (box cutter) and a metal straight edge (3 foot yardstick type). That way you will get a good, straight cut. Use an old piece of plywood as a top to cut on so as not to mess us something of value. Then use duct tape to hold the pieces together. Once painted, I think they would look great.

Good luck with your project. Mark.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Why cardboard? Is it important that it be recognized as a cardboard box?

Having asked that, I should also ask, why the tip-over principle? With a small box, there are other principles that would work just as well, if not better, depending on other performance variables.

Here's an alternative, if you don't have your heart set on a cardboard tip-over box: a brown paper lunch bag. Pull it out of your pocket, folded and flat. Pop it open by whapping it, and it is unmistakably empty. Now begin producing stuff from it. If that scenario works for you, I'll PM you a method if you don't already know it (I know you are a well-read magician, so you may have already run across the method).
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
You might try foam-core or Gator board. Both are foam with paper on the outside. Foamcore is more flexible, while Gatorboard is stiffer. Both are light and easy to work with. I cut the foamcore with a razor knife, but often use a table saw to cut gatorboard (just for the accuracy). Tape holds it well together, but I've also used small bits of wood as bracing and re-inforcement in the corneers.

Find both at a well stocked art supply house.
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Try using Hardboard. It looks like Masonite except that it is smooth on both sides and can tolerate sanding. It can even be painted to appear to be metal. Once finished, it stays square and holds hinges well. (Use piano hinges and rivets.) Mixing sheet metal with it can be well concealed with good paint.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Bob

How hard is hardboard? Untill I have a table saw, I have to make my cuts with scissors & knives.

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
John,

Cutting hardboard with scissors would make a real man of you! Don't try it.

However, with a cheap sabre saw, it should be a breeze. Use a saw with very fine teeth. Even a hack saw may work.

Bob
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Help with mini Tip-over Trunk (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL