The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » Three Card Monte (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

CardShark2004
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of CardShark2004
What are the best resources for learning the real work? I'm come to the decision I would really like to master Three Card Monte. ( I know, I know, mastering anything takes a lifetime) But I've been caught up in all the gambling sleights, false deal hysteria that is sweeping a good deal of the forums. But Three Card Monte really interests me.

School for Scoundrels monte dvd and ebook. Im aware of that and it sounds like the standard, So I will be getting that. Any other reccomendations?
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
Nope. You may want to read about the characters involved in history, they can help you develope your own character.
Steve V
luvisi
View Profile
Special user
601 Posts

Profile of luvisi
The School For Scoundrels stuff is good. Their exhibition routine has some really good ideas that you may want to use, even if you don't use it as is. Also, the Scoundrels Wiki has a wonderful bibliography (http://www.scoundrelsforum.com/wiki/ScoundrelsBibliography).

Some of my other favorite resources are the Scarne book, Ganson's Three Card Monte as Entertainment, and Vernon's routine in Further Inner Secrets of Card Magic (reprinted in The Inner Card Trillogy).

You may also find some value in my write up of Three Card Monte at http://www.practicenotincluded.com/

Best of luck,
Andru
CardShark2004
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of CardShark2004
Thanks luvisi
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
All great ideas. I have gotten so much from just the SFS info.

With these resources, and lot's of practice, you'll be well on your way!

Good luck. Mark.
CardShark2004
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of CardShark2004
Quote:
On 2006-10-21 11:41, mrunge wrote:
and lot's of practice

that's the plan mark
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
See, no thank you to ol' Steve...and folks wonder why I don't like helping the young'unz.
Steve V
TheGiz
View Profile
Veteran user
335 Posts

Profile of TheGiz
Daryl's "Full Monte" goes over the moves and different presentations pretty well. It'll keep you busy for a long while.
http://blackbeltmagician.com

"And it's a good thing I only use my power for good!!!"
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
Another vote for SFS. I dealt the game in my young years...this book/DVD is not magician's fantasy though very good magic presentations are covered.

SFS DVD and book on the Three Card are magnificent.
Moderncelt
View Profile
Veteran user
Twin Cities MN
343 Posts

Profile of Moderncelt
I also raise my vote for S4S video. They go into the psychology of the game, not just the mechanics. They also do a re-encactment of a street game and how a crew would work a pigeon from lure to blow off. Plus they go over multiple ways to prep your cards. The dvd also has the notes, so I have to recommend it's probably the best for your money
jbohn
View Profile
Regular user
Minneapoils, MN
102 Posts

Profile of jbohn
For the history, and some psychology (as well as a hell of a good read) check out George H. DeVol's "Forty Years a Gambler on the Mississippi". DeVol was the real deal, and his stories are priceless...
Howard Hamburg
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of Howard Hamburg
Go on youtube put in brick tilley look out, cleveland to see a combo of street and magic type monte routines that is entertaining.the paper clip is an excellent addition and could be the final bit in the routine,should it need to be shorter.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » Three Card Monte (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL