The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Flood & Rainbow- mouthcoils??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

yosef_dov
View Profile
Loyal user
NYC area
242 Posts

Profile of yosef_dov
Greetings...

I've worked up a routine involving rainbow mouth coils, with a story about Noah's ark, the flood, and the rainbow. I know some of you refuse to use mouth coils because of either gross factor (spit on them!) or you don't want to show kids stuff going into the mouth that isn't food, but I've had great reaction from kids with the rainbow streamers... audiences including from 2.5 years old to 6 years old...

I've also thought about getting one of Peter Loughrans's Rainmaker gadgets to play around with... perhaps walking out amongst the audience while telling the story, and then it starts to rain, and then I could produce the rainbow...or would that freak people out too much?

What do you think?

JN
randyburtis
View Profile
Inner circle
1256 Posts

Profile of randyburtis
I use a mouth coil in my mouth, and don't have any issues with parents or kids. I do a"sepcial announcment" at some point in my show mentioning that I use no supernatural powersd, and that I am a professional and there are some things they shouldn't try at home,like putting things in your mouth etc. I do it lightheartedly, but they get the message.

As far as the rainmaker, I did some research on it, and it appears to have some significant limitations as far as indoor use, so you will want to consider that before purchasing it
Randy Burtis
Calgary's Kid Show Magician
www.calgarymagician.com
www.Facebook.com/calgarymagician
Rickfcm
View Profile
Veteran user
lower Michigan
382 Posts

Profile of Rickfcm
I've started to produce coils from my hands. Get the same reaction and no yuck factor.
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
This is what I would do, and this is based on a routine I do for kids. Do the rain thingy then have a kid (or you) color a rainbow on a napkin. You tear the napkin open and produce the coil from the tear as if pulling it from the drawn rainbow.
Steve V
yosef_dov
View Profile
Loyal user
NYC area
242 Posts

Profile of yosef_dov
Rick & Steve--

Excellent suggestions! Have a child draw a rainbow (or have a pre-drawn rainbow), then "share" the rainbow...

JN
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
How about no mouth coils at all?
Avoids the question of mouth or hands.
Silk is more elegant and lasts longer.

The Noah story is fantastic,
but why not produce a long, long rainbow silk streamer?

Either by poking a hole in the rainbow drawing
and pulling it through the paper
(ala silks from newspaper)
or carefully decorating a production box
to resemble the ark or the clouds?

My two-cents,
Walt
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
Of course you could use a Rainbow silk, in this case he asked about a mouth coil. Pulling 25 feet of coil is impressive though.
Steve V
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
Pulling out an 8" by 25 foot rainbow silk streamer is pretty impressive too,
and more elegant appearing, I was just offering an alternative,
a more expensive one yes, but one worth the effect it could have.
Thanks, Walt
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
Lil tougher to palm effectively though.
Steve V
James Alan
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ontario
680 Posts

Profile of James Alan
I developped my mouth coil routine based on the Jeff McBride Commando Show DVD (Magic on Stage 1, I think) and as the coil comes out, you get spectators to support the coil at different places.

The first time I did it, I didn't get any comments from parents about wadding up tissue paper in my mouth, instead I got a huge YUCK! from the first kid I tried to hand it to.

A few months later, I saw some teaser footage from Abracadazzle and noticed that Jeff gave his cane to the volunteer and hooked the coil onto that and what looked like a mic stand. From what I saw the volunteer never had to touch the 'yucky' mouth coil. I thought that was very clever.

Now I let the first volunteer hold onto the coil on the end of a wand, and as I pull out more coil, I can usually spot a kid who I can see is eager to touch the streamer and give it to him to hold.

Just a thought,
James
James Alan

Magic & Martini | Blog | Facebook
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
I use a rainbow streamer with a small house(looks like a church).
Open it up to show nothing inside...then pull the streamer..

Didn't think of the Flood tie in. Sometimes the simple things escape me.

Thanks for sharing....

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Flood & Rainbow- mouthcoils??? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL