The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Magic Café Tech Help Area » » Couple of suggestions » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Steve Friedberg
View Profile
Inner circle
1402 Posts

Profile of Steve Friedberg
Steve:
Howzabout the ability to search by location; perhaps we could stage a meeting of the Philly members of the Café, if we can do an appropriate search.

Also, how about making it possible for us to know "which number" member we are. With us reaching 5k members, I'm interested in knowing if I was member #234 or #1038 or whatever.

Many thanks.
Cheers,
Steve

"A trick does not fool the eyes, but fools the brain." -- John Mulholland
Gene
View Profile
Café Forum Developer
Howard City, MI
276 Posts

Profile of Gene
I hope you don't mind my answering you?

Finding your member number is easy enough already. Just put your mouse over the "profile" link or over your avatar picture and look at the address in the status bar at the bottom of your browser window. Yours shows "user=874", so you're user #874. User number is relatively unimportant here - usually it's the number of posts everybody is concerned about.

Searching by location is already somewhat possible. If you look at the member list you'll see "From" as one of the headers. You can click on that to rearrange the member list by location. It lists members by location then, in descending order. You can just page through it until you reach the location you're looking for. (I see 10 people from Pittsburgh.) I submit that searching by location is somewhat hit-and-miss anyway, because many people don't enter their location, or they enter an actual city of a suburb or something, rather than the big city itself. Even yours shows Downingtown, so if you're near Pittsburgh and you're looking for people from there, you would need to look through all of the list to find places near enough to Pittsburgh. See what I'm getting at? Very hit-and-miss, but it's there already if you want to look around.
Somebody kick me off the computer, will ya? Smile Smile
Steve Friedberg
View Profile
Inner circle
1402 Posts

Gene:
Many thanks for the response...didn't know that about the member number stuff, and I'm glad to see it's that easy.

However, if we can make it any easier to track people by location, without jumping through the hoops, it'd be great. Many thanks.
Cheers,
Steve

Mary B.
View Profile
Café Tech Advisor
Howard City, Michigan
626 Posts

Profile of Mary B.
Well, a search could only be as good as the information people put into the "From" field in their profile. Several of them have put their names or business names in there, and among the more exotic locations where they (apparently) reside are "the outer limits", "the Brownsville city Morgue", "Uranus", "the end of space", "The Chasm of Spasms", you get the drift!
Steve Friedberg
View Profile
Inner circle
1402 Posts

Agreed, Mary...there's no accounting for taste or the lack of same. However, imagine if we could set up regional MagicCafe.com meetings...letting people who talk online meet each other in person. We'd be extending the community and really doing some cool stuff. That's what I'm after.
Cheers,
Steve

Dave Egleston
View Profile
Special user
Ceres, Ca
632 Posts

Profile of Dave Egleston
I also have a suggestion - It's going to sound like I'm a crochity old man -(I am) - But it seems like we're getting more and more topics with the heading "Help!!!!!!!!!!!" or "Need Advice!!!!!!!!!!!!!" with no further info until you click on the Topic just to find out they want to know whether to use red back or blue back bicycle cards when practicing. 0r a review request, with no reason for the request, and lots of "trolling" questions such as "Fastest Sleight?" or "Do you like red backs or blue backs?"
Could we try and ask these posters to cut down on punctuation symbols and stating the topic on the topic board rather than having other forum members click the topic to find out it's something of no interest?
and on and on and on

Just a mean old man

Dave
MxJoKeR
View Profile
Regular user
Nowhere, Oklahoma
173 Posts

Profile of MxJoKeR
What about changing the From field to include city field and a state field that would help the searching
Do or Do-Not, There is no try--Yoda
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Magic Café Tech Help Area » » Couple of suggestions » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL