The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Street Magic in LA (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tom Frank
View Profile
V.I.P.
industrial Strength Magic
493 Posts

Profile of Tom Frank
Friday night worked Hollywood & Highland. Nice sets, nice people. . . real freak scene. Costumed characters take pictures with tourists for tips. So it's not uncommon to have The "Terminator" with half his face ripped off revealing the machine beneath, carrying a shotgun in my audience or the "Grim Reaper" or 'Luke Skywalker".

The new sound system works great. These are LOUD places I work, often with another amplified act right next to you. I'm not competing with these acts, rather; I understand that there is an audience for every act and it's part of my job to enlist them.

It's hard to not feel intimidated when the act next to you draws 10 times as may people. It might be a a break-dancing / acrobatic troupe, or a magician / juggler. You have to feel good about what you do. I do a good show but don't gather huge audiences. It's the way I was taught. Bang'em out. I did 4 shows to his one. Who made more money. . . who cares.

Got a nice tip from a young man who watched a couple of my shows. He works security at a nightclub and said he would pass my card on to someone who wouldn't call me. He didn't really say that, but that's what I heard. It didn't matter anyway cause he gave me a nice cigar to enjoy and a couple bucks. A real fan of magic I guess.

You never know what your going to see. While queuing up for a 2-4PM slot on the Santa Monica Third Street Promenade, I saw a bunch of storm troopers. Nutty huh? The promenade is a much more relaxed pitch than Hollywood and Highland. You don't have traffic at your back, but it can be backed up with street acts every 40 feet. Once again, LOUD as you weave in and out of pedestrian traffic. Another picture perfect day in LA.

Here is the sunset from the 9th floor of my parking garage in Santa Monica. I love this view and always relax for a few minutes before getting out of the car and unloading my stuff. Brought Buster out here last week to take a sunset walk on the beach. I was Halloween night. I blew off working so that we could spend some time together. It was a beautiful evening, a super sunset, where the sun just fell off the edge of the earth. Nice walk. . . he was unimpressed.

Sunday I headed out to Venice Beach. I hadn't worked there in over 20 years and was a little nervous. I didn't have a permit and the spot I had picked out didn't really feel legal. It was just too good. I banged out my first show a little after 11AM. It was early in the day and the traffic was light. It would pick up nicely. The show went well and afterwards a French magician/juggler introduced himself to me. He was visiting and doing shows at Venice Beach for the the last couple of weeks. He confirmed that the spot was not a legal spot. I was going to pack up and find a new spot when an old homeless drunk talked me into staying. He assured me that he would speak on my behalf to the authorities if that situation arose. I stayed and agreed with the Frenchman that I would not start at the same time as him. Staggered shows make it easier for crowd gathering. He ended up getting a HUGE crowd! I study the patience that is involved in the gathering of a crowd this size, but find it hard to waste a lot of time in my own work. Get the crowd, Keep the crowd, Get the money, turn it over, do it again. that's just what I was taught. I need to slow down and really look at the other approach. I would like to work for bigger crowds.

It was interesting to talk to him. When I told him how humbling it's been working in LA, he was glad to hear it wasn't just him. We both agreed that this is about as tough an environment as we had EVER worked, and we both are well traveled. While he was glad to be leaving for San Diego today, I explained how I really wanted to figure out this city and by doing that and conquering the obstacles of human nature here in LA, everywhere else I go. . . should be a lot easier.

A lot of things can shut you down in the business of busking. A cop, a store owner, a fist fight. There are lots of spontaneous events that just occur and make you call it a day. Here is one of those instances. A car backs up into a fire hydrant and sends a jet of water shooting up in the air. I'm glad that I had just finished my show. You can't compete with that. I packed up my act, just in time. Hundreds and hundreds gallons hitting the street and heading my way. A lot of the arts and crafts people displaced.

If you want to see this post with pictures, with the storm troopers and Frenchman's huge crowd click on the blog link below.

Peace Out Homies
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
Cool stuff Frank, thanks for sharing and the pics look great!

BTW what cups are those you're using?

johnny

ps I'm so jealous of your pitch!
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
SeaDawg
View Profile
Special user
The Lunatic Fringe
718 Posts

Profile of SeaDawg
Tom, love the venue... It is too bloody cold to be doing street here in Halifax so I am working on next years show and doing kids & corp gigs.

The only thing I know about street is the more I learn the less I know...

Like your set up... Portability always an issue.
Crazy people take the psycho-path thru the forest...
walid ahumada
View Profile
Special user
sinaloa, mexico
892 Posts

Profile of walid ahumada
Quote:
On 2006-11-06 13:39, johnnymystic wrote:
Cool stuff Frank, thanks for sharing and the pics look great!

BTW what cups are those you're using?

johnny

ps I'm so jealous of your pitch!

I bet he always work with phoenix cups(while they last) to promote them.
“Magic becomes art when it has nothing to hide.” BEN OKRI quote
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1787 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
You think? Tom's a real worker I really miss his shop in downtown Cincy, he taught me the advantange of beating the cups & although I do not presently do street work it still works in the other venues I do work. Love the ironwood wand he provided with the phoenix cups too. A word of advice if you haven't seen his ring routine do yourself a favor & buy his dvd, his 3 ring routine is ^&%^&%^&% awesome!
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Tom, that looks like a Crate Limo. Is that correct?
What mic are you using with that?

When I was in central park in NYC, there was a fenced off area for
roller-skaters and they were using a Crate Limo as well. Maybe 2.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Great session today at Dill's... Tom rolled in to see Carney, Farrington, Dill, Marty, Sebastian and three or four others... some strong magic and a chance to see how, in just a few months, Tom could make a brand new set of RNT II cups look like Gazzo had hammered on them for seven years!
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Frank...its a crate taxi I beleive.....i think the taxis are yellow.....i ahve a limo (works great) and its black...
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Man! You sure know how to take care of those Phoenix II cups!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Tom Frank
View Profile
V.I.P.
493 Posts

Profile of Tom Frank
Pete, a lot of fun and enjoyment at Dean's. Thank you for telling me about it. I'm sorry you left before this pic was taken.

Click here to ENLARGE

I feel like I'm starting to get to know some of the LA Magicians and really digging the scene.

Peace
BAH1313
View Profile
Elite user
Ohio
445 Posts

Profile of BAH1313
Yep it's the Crate Taxi. I have a yellow one exactly like it. Great Amp!

Tom when are ya headin back to Cincy for a visit?
I am truly blessed to have a job where people are laughing all the time and everyone believes in magic....Come to think of it, I'm blessed to even have a job.
Tom Frank
View Profile
V.I.P.
493 Posts

Profile of Tom Frank
No plans currently to get back to the midwest. If I booked a gig or bought Haines House of Cards, that would get me back.

Am I missing anything good?
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Tom,
How are you posting these photos in the post? I'd like to do that too.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Street Magic in LA (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL