The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » A Rough Question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MRReed
View Profile
New user
Lake Odessa, MI
58 Posts

Profile of MRReed
I've been performing tricks (unprofessionally) for about 55 years -- but... I've never performed tricks that require roughed card surfaces (or are aided by using roughed cards), hence my newbie-type question.

A shop sold me "Rustoleum Painters Touch" clear matte for roughing. It works fine... for awhile. However, the cards seem to lose their roughness very rapidly -- after using only a VERY few times. Is this normal, or is there another brand of spray that will last longer?

Help is greatly appreciated... Smile

(moved from "Pick-A-Card" forum)
The Affordable Card Presses
1-, 2- and 4-deck Presses at Card Presses
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
You might try Tesco (sp?) Dullcote 1260.
You can get this in spray or paint in any hobby and craft store. It is used to dull the finish of model cars and planes.
(I prefer the spray.)
Use very little and let it dry thoroughly; the cards I've used it on have seen VERY heavy use and I've never had to re-spray.
The other advantage is that it is about half the price of roughing fluid that is sold in many magic shops. (And that is exactly what roughing fluid is! The label on the can of Dullcote is removed and a new label stuck on!)
kpkilburn
View Profile
New user
Ft. Bragg, NC
23 Posts

Profile of kpkilburn
I use Krylon Spray Matte Finish, which has worked very well for me. I may not be using the cards as much as you are, so your mileage with it may vary.
WilliamWHolcomb
View Profile
Special user
Twinsburg, Ohio
533 Posts

Profile of WilliamWHolcomb
Testor's Dull Cote and Krylon Spray Matte Finish are two of the best. Be careful when using the Krylon becase if you use too much the cards will, to coin a coin phrase, "talk" too much when you slip them apart.

Testor's is the best I've ever used but I can't find it locally anymore. Good luck!
William Holcomb
BenSchwartz
View Profile
Elite user
Southern California
499 Posts

Profile of BenSchwartz
I also use Testor's Dull Cote. This is the best.
"The experience of astonishment is the experience of a clear, primal state of mind that they associate with a child's state of mind." ---- Paul Harris
pyro
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of pyro
I've heard hairspray works well as a substitute for roughing fluid.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Testor's! That's the name! Thanks William and Ben.
I suppose my forgetting the name is a testimonial of sorts on how little you need, if it's been that long since I had to buy any!
kpkilburn
View Profile
New user
Ft. Bragg, NC
23 Posts

Profile of kpkilburn
Hmmm... I thought the "talking" was just inherent to roughed cards. I didn't realize that it was a problem for Krylon Matte. It's never been a problem, but I did notice it. That's all I've ever used, so maybe I'll try the others. Thanks for the advice!
Just4Fun
View Profile
New user
Dallas
49 Posts

Profile of Just4Fun
The only thing I've used is the Testor's - got it at Michael's.

I know some people swear on just using wax - anyone had any experience with that?
Alex W.
View Profile
Loyal user
211 Posts

Profile of Alex W.
Check out this link.
David Fletcher
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of David Fletcher
There are three cans of Rough King on the Estate Sale I posted in the Marketplace. Cheap. Even though it is is actually testor's dullcote. Cheaper than hobby shops
You have to give it away to keep it.
Rafa
View Profile
Regular user
Costa Rica
102 Posts

Profile of Rafa
I bought a can of "Magician's special something" and it was a can of spray with NO LABEL at all!!!!
Thanks for the advice.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » A Rough Question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL