The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » New camcorder and videos online (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1522 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
Hi all,
This is the first time I've ever had the technology to put something online and I am just trying it out. Feel free to watch the following clip of me performing the floating table and a sponge ball routine. Comments are welcome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkMVfaLbdSg
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Great Job! At first I thought it was going to be a little hokey. But then I was surprised. I love the premise/reason for floating the table.

I might chose to have different coloured balls (yellow? Orange?) or a different shirt. It could just be the video, but the colours were close and the balls were not that visible.
braunmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
373 Posts

Profile of braunmagic
Chad,
I like the video. One comment would be when doing the sponge balls either place the table on the floor or use the floating table for the effect. As having you turn your back toward the audience does seem to make it hard to follow.
I read somewhere about a 10-2 rule meaning your feet should never be past 10 Oclock or 2 Oclock when facing the audience. Granted rules are made to be broken but this idea helps alot.
Less is more, Max Howard says rehearse your show on a 8X11.5 piece of paper and only move off the paper if there is a theatrical reason. This will help build focus.
I recently saw a high paid performer at a fair who left all his props in his case way of to the side of the stage. He was constantly walking to the case. It made it hard to follow and several people even walked out. After the show I ask him why he left his props on the side of the stage and he said he did not want to clutter the stage.
Later that day I saw a street performer who had an ugly bag and table on stage he never left the center of the stage and it was riveting to watch. It was so much easier to focus on what was important when all the Unnesessary movements had been removed.
Hope that helps and keep up the good work,
Brent Braun
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1522 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
Thanks for the comments. I wanted to use the red sponge balls due to it being a Christmas themed show and the rudolph tie-in. I thought about the shirt making it blend in on the video, and I will change that in the future. Also, Brent, good idea about keeping the table down front and placing the balls on it during the sponge ball routine, as that would allow me to face forward the whole time.

Overall, the audience loved it and I had lots of folks come up afterwards and thank me, but there is always room for improvement. I also notice that I say "you guys" a lot. Now that I have the new camera, I will be using it to tape almost all my shows, and that will really assist me in fine-tuning things.

Glad you guys enjoyed it! Smile
sfmiraj
View Profile
New user
san fransicko, CA
45 Posts

Profile of sfmiraj
Chad,
Nice. I appreciate the fact that you don't "look" like a magician. Nice/professional attire, but no obnoxious ties, cheezy vests, or unfitting suits. If you could streamline your mike wind screen, I'd find it less distracting and can focus on your face more than the screen.
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1522 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
Heehee...I oftentimes do wear the vest, although it is not a bright multi-colored one, it's a normal one. The mike screen could be smaller, although, deep down an evil part of me is still in the early 90's when it was cool to have that "look." lol.

If you want to see my "other" look, check out http://www.photosite.com/magicwithchad and take a look at the library show 2006. That is one cool outfit!
RickVancouver
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
697 Posts

Profile of RickVancouver
Chad,

I enjoyed the premise of Rudolph's nose making the table float. You also have a relaxed and pleasant personality.

The only 2 observations I noticed are, that you tended to pace noticabley in the middle of the sponge ball routine and it would've been nice to see you lead the applause as your assistant was leaving the stage.

Rick
www.vancouvermagic.com
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1522 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
Lead the applause....I like that. Thanks Rick, great comment.
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of Logan
I enjoyed that! I especially liked how magical you made the floating table look as well as the motivation for the floating.

A small suggestion, perhaps you might like to place the floating table segment AFTER the sponge ball routine. As it is right now, the sponge ball routine can't quite match up to the miracle of the floating table. You can lead into the floating table effect after the sponge ball routine by saying that the balls can fly (i.e. mock explanation for the sponge ball routine) and you go on to prove so by placing the ball into the box which rests on the table.

That's just my personal opinion, overall, well done, I enjoyed that very much.
You've been hit by, you've been struck by, a smooth criminal.

Singapore's Hairiest Corporate Comedy Magician!
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Good job!

I obviously can't comment on patter because I can't hear it. But from reading the posts about the Rudolph I think it's a neat idea.

What I'll share isn't a comment on your video but a suggestion for something to add to the routine. Just an idea that hit me when I was watching.

Make a ball float first (Fearson's hook up). So you basically perform "Lite Flite" but with a sponge ball. I have a little tip on that because sponge balls are too light for that hook up to work well (They'll move up but not down). Look at sporting good stores in the hockey section. You can find street hokey balls that are made of a red foam rubber and they look just like our magic sponge balls. So they'll have a little more weight to them.

Then make the ball vanish with the old presentation that it's not gone but it's just invisible. Place the invisible ball in the box on the table then perform Bill Abbott's "The Thing". If you're not familiar with that it's basically a floating invisible ball. So it'll just be a way of proving the ball is really there but it's invisible.

With some practice you can mime that the invisible ball has a mind of it's own. Try to get it to float back into the box but it fights you and tries to float away from it. You finally win and lock the box close. Act happy with your success then the ball comes back and wins by making the table float.

You could end by making the ball visible again. Fights you some more by jumping to places you don't want it to. Put it in your pocket and it appears some where else. Put it in your mouth and it multiplies. I hope you get the idea. The ball becomes a life like thing and keeps messing with you. Kids love that kind of thing when the magician has funny things happen to him that make him annoyed.

Well, I know I keep adding on but that's just what came to mind as I watched your video.

Good work.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1522 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
Thanks Jaxon, that is an interesting idea worth looking into. Logan, another good point. I could easily see the sponge ball routine coming before the table routine.
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of Logan
I agree with Jaxon's suggestion about the lead into the floating table routine, very creative, as always!
You've been hit by, you've been struck by, a smooth criminal.

Singapore's Hairiest Corporate Comedy Magician!
Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1840 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
Sfmiraj

You described how most magicians dress lol.

Nez
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
sfmiraj
View Profile
New user
san fransicko, CA
45 Posts

Profile of sfmiraj
Quote:
On 2006-11-13 13:20, Neznarf wrote:
Sfmiraj

You described how most magicians dress lol.

Nez

Exactly! I despise 'the look' of cheezy attire. You can spot them in a crowd.

Elevate the art....and our appearance.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » New camcorder and videos online (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL