The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Voodoo Video (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
I loved the Vid. Thanks. Love that song as well.
Seth speaks
View Profile
Inner circle
New Mexico
1250 Posts

Profile of Seth speaks
Wow! Really beautiful... thanks Baba. The music credits, btw, are listed in the info box next to the video. Just click "more." Lovely images and music, and very informative!

Seth
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Quote:
On 2006-11-17 01:35, Seth speaks wrote:
Wow! Really beautiful... thanks Baba. The music credits, btw, are listed in the info box next to the video. Just click "more." Lovely images and music, and very informative!

Seth

SETH SPEAKS.

(HAHA, SORRY, couldn't RESIST)

:)
ptbeast
View Profile
Special user
Oregon
831 Posts

Profile of ptbeast
Thanks Seth. I totally missed the credits.

Dave
Geronimo
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of Geronimo
http://www.ubu.com/film/deren.html

The whole teepee!

Geronimo.
Give me back my head!
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
Fantastic video Baba; do you have a source for the music used ib it?
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Kotah, Pm'd you...
Geronimo
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of Geronimo
Below is the text to accompany the film I posted a link to above.
Just in case I was not clear enough about what I was posting.

The link is to the complete film, 57 minutes,

Geronimo.

Divine Horsemen 1947

Maya Deren takes us on a journey into the fascinating world of the Voudoun religion, whose devotees commune with the cosmic powers through invocation, offerings, song and dance. The Voudoun pantheon of deities, or loa, is witnessed as being living gods and goddesses, actually taking possession of their devotees. The soundtrack conveys the incantatory power of the ritual drumming and singing.

"Maya Deren first went to Haiti as an artist . . . but the manifestations of rapture that seized her, and transported her beyond the bounds of any art she had ever known."
Give me back my head!
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1378 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
Thanks, Baba. Nice video and very informative. I can REALLY relate. Funny how Hollywood twists up the truth of SO many different people to meet their agenda. Sad how many people believe these Hollywood movies are factual.
Autumn
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
Thokoza Baba,
I've watched the video a few times, I really enjoy it. We would have quite the time together!

It's beautiful, really. It reminds me of "home" Smile

Go well,
J.
"Join my update list here!" http://eepurl.com/uE3Jf
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Glad to offer this fellas...just a smidgeon of what goes on in the Vodou/shamanic realms...

Listen, there are a million books on vodou, and I've read at least half; of all the books, as stated above, Divine Horsemen by Deren is the sin qua non for education on the subject...a must read...one of them books that you never ever stop learning from...

and thanks to the mage who gave the link to the Deren movie....

Hey Bill Ligon--how'd you like the DVD Divine Horsemen??? old, yet timeless...

Baba
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Baba, DIVINE HORSEMEN is terrific. It is old but not out-of-date.It is one of my treasures, to be sure!

Bill
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5473 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
I studied film making in College and my specialized focus was on Avante Garde cinema. Maya Deren was among the leaders of the feminist experimental cinema wave and flat out took my breath away. Her experimental films (also available on DVD now) are every bit as worthy of your attention.

Baba,
I know that I have some of her unreleased films and writings. Unfortunately they are well packed away, but I will search for them and contact you when I find them.
bradyofspades
View Profile
New user
new york
14 Posts

Profile of bradyofspades
I loved the video, I didn't know any of this before. I was one of the products of hollywood. I'm glad you showed me the light. the song behind it was beautiful, what language was it in? Creole?
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Marqus
View Profile
Special user
899 Posts

Profile of Marqus
I watched part of the vid. I will get back to it again but it is VERY informative.
Good job!

Marqus
Prof. Pabodie
View Profile
Veteran user
318 Posts

Profile of Prof. Pabodie
Yes, thank you for this post. Very educational. I am wondering if Baba or anyone else has ever read a novel called 'Falling Angel' by William Hjortsberg. I just ordered it from a small press publisher. Although fiction, it supposedly has much to do with voodoo and, I believe, was the basis of the film Angel Heart. As we know, there is usually a marked difference between book and film, as evidenced by Wade Davis' 'The Serpent and the Rainbow'. I was informed that the voodoo information in 'Falling Angel' is very accurate.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Voodoo Video (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL