The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Advice to a student (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Hi guys,

A student of mine is interested in Learnign the Art of Escapology. He is already learning to do a simple straing jacket excape. He would like to do one upside down. I suggested he log on here and read what you guys have had to say on the subject. Sadly the Café now restricts people from joining with free e-mail addresses.

His name is Nathan K...

Is there anyone out there willing to have me give him your e-mail address os he can contact you privately? Let me know.

Thanks,

Cliff
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
To be completly honest the USD is overused ,with little or no difference between one showing and another, and certainly not worth the risk for a new student. Certainly there are routines like Simon Lovell's (sp? simon?)that show the uniqueness that can be obtained and positively entertain at the same time. I have two and possibly a third coming on and I clearly draw the line as to what is ok to begin with, and then later with a demonstration of high skill, and then with direct assistance. Keep in mind I use no gaffed equipment, so it is critical to educate properly in stages from the begining. Unlike what I did, getting into bad situations that could have easily soured. Risky things come with confidence and the demonstration of a back up plan.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
BBunnell
View Profile
Regular user
Utah
116 Posts

Profile of BBunnell
I feel differently. Each time I perform it, people ALWAYS ask why, were you scared, are you crazy? It is for that reason I believe it is not overused. If it were then the fear and escitement of the crowed would not exist.

I am glad that someone wants to try something new. That is how we grow and learn and pass on the art for future generations, at a time when perhaps it is new to them.
Your Friend in MAGIC
Bruce
numamagic@yahoo.com
www.numamagic.com
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
I would have to agree that you grow and learn. The question here is Clearly not that at all. The question here is someone who is just learning to get out of the jacket on the ground. There is a described lack of experience.

Knowingly assisting a new student to become involved in escapes where failure means a wheelchair or death is highly irresponsible at best. The moral, ethical and financial implications are enormous.

If there is a sincere desire on the part of the student he should get the Jay Leslie tape, where safe methods are demonstrated properly for this skill level.

Of course it would depend on what your insurance agent says about the liability end. It may be wise to ask your agent first before the ambulance shows up. But then again what do I know? There are a couple folks here that have fallen and lived so they should be the ones that comment.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I have a feeling the school may say no to such a risk, he is actually doing quite well getting out of the jacket (non gaffed) on the ground. Anybody know where to get the Jay Leslie Tape, I can send him in that direction too.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Hi Cliff,

For you guys in the States you'll probably be best with the Cannons.

Anyone here in UK and the rest of Europe, I've just started stocking it.

Its now on dvd too, so that's loads better.

Cheers,

Ros
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Advice to a student (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL