The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Witchcraft (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Celloboy
View Profile
Special user
London, England
534 Posts

Profile of Celloboy
I am currently working on a discussion of the causes of the European Witchcraft trials. Any suggested factual reading would be appreciated.
Many Thanks
Pete
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
The first thing that comes to my mind is The DaVinci Code. Whether or not it's factual is entirely up to you, 'though...
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3226 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
The DaVinci code is definitely not factual, as stated by several historians on National Public Radio who objected to a statements early in the book, which stated that part of the book wasn't fiction. They proceeded to list many historical discrepancies that were stated as fact. Much of the book is known to be fiction, as acknowledged by the author who stated that only part of the book was factual, so I wouldn't get any information from a source like that.

Narratives of the New England Witchcraft Cases, 1648-1706 looks like an interesting book. Also, The Salem Witchcraft Trials: A Legal History looks interesting.

Type “Salem witchcraft” into Amazon.com, and you’ll find many other books on this. Those two stood out.

King James made laws regarding punishment of witches, which started a wave of persecution that probably lead to the attitude in Salem one or two generations later, even though it was across the ocean. The book, The Discoverie of Witchcraft, published in 1584, provides a historical setting for that time, although there might be better books for that period in history.

That book is often quoted by magicians, because it's one of the early magic books that contain tricks (It’s not the first, though). But only chapter 23 mentions magic tricks. The rest of the book is an appeal to reason by the author, Reginald Scot, who states how people were being persecuted for unjust reasons.

The introduction to the book has more information than you'll need to set a historical context for what followed later in Salem.
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
A Google search for "europe witchcraft trials" may turn up some resources.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2006-11-15 17:31, Celloboy wrote:
I am currently working on a discussion of the causes of the European Witchcraft trials. Any suggested factual reading would be appreciated.
Many Thanks
Pete

Movable Type

Movable Type = Affordable Bibles = Reformation = Persecution of Witces

Find out about it here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/history/inou......21.shtml
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Simple politics. and therefore outside of our realm of discussion here. sorry. Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Celloboy
View Profile
Special user
London, England
534 Posts

Profile of Celloboy
Thanks for some of the suggestions. I did mean to say it was in Early Modern Europe. I understand we can't discuss politics so I will let this convo die a peaceful death but feel free to PM with any more suggestions if you think of some.
Cheers Guys and Dolls
Pete
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I think someone mentioned once that the "mass hysteria" form of witch persecution could be traced to food poisoning from a virus that infected the rye the pesants used to eat. (The rich got the wheat.)

Mind you, James wasn't poisoned... he was just insane! (A fact Will Shakespere was previously unaware of when he wrote "The Scottish Play" featuring James' ancestor Banquo in a supporting role.)
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2006-11-15 17:31, Celloboy wrote:
Many Thanks
Pete

Go to the source. Check with the Kriminalmuseum in Regensburg, Germany. They have many records of the material.

Most people who understand the situation believe that there was basically a competition between the Church and those who were unchurched for the various funds received for services rendered. A person who practiced herbalism without the approval of the church would be in competition with them.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
I have also seen this theory: this was a time when some women were engaged in business (taking the place of their absent husbands) or otherwise becoming property-owners and wielding economic power. The money and property held by these women was an attractive prize for some who stood to gain by denouncing the women, and it was easy to get the public behind the campaign because powerful women are threatening to many (isn't it still so today?).
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The only people who owned land during that time were those who were given a grant to do so by the royalty. There was very little money going around through the slaving classes, as well.

Your theory would make more sense if you would quote a source.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Celloboy
View Profile
Special user
London, England
534 Posts

Profile of Celloboy
I have never heard this approach to the Witch-trials before but it is a very interesting one and I intend to research it further! Thank you Mr. Palmer (I feel like I'm in 24 now...). I can see why you are in the Eternal Order!
Many Thanks
Pete
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
I have read quite a bit about the Salem witch trials, but precious little about the European ones.

Two curious facts regarding the Salem trials: Anyone who confessed to being a witch lived and anyone who denied the charges was condemned to death. Also, no witches were burned in Salem, unlike the European witch trials.
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1332 Posts

Profile of reese
Something interesting to watch on dvd from 1921, is 'Haxan' (witchcraft through the ages)

It's part of the Criterion collection.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Or you can just make stuff up.

I mean, how many people who died back then are going to be around today to argue?

You heard me
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1332 Posts

Profile of reese
Can't get the link up from amazon about the 'Haxan' movie (from 1922) but it explores european witch hunts in a unique visual way that you might find very informative and interesting...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Witchcraft (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL