The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Lack Of Sleep! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Pete Legend
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1401 Posts

Profile of Pete Legend
I cannot seem to sleep! For the last 6-7 months Im getting somewhere in the region of 2 or 3 hours sleep a night Smile So frustrating,especially when I have important meetings,football games in the mornings...Anyone here experience sleep problems and what would you recommend?Sometimes Im so tired I get headaches and fall into the bed exhausted but cant switch off! I like to find something besides tablets and all that type of stuff!

All the best,

Pete
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Hey Pete...Been there, done that.
Here's some of the stuff that has worked for me.
Make sure that you are doing something calming before bed...Something not related to the rest of the day. Reading, stuff like that...It has to become a ritual. It might take a while, but eventually your body will reprogram to the shut down signals. Sipping chammomile tea can help.
Also, if you find you can't fall asleep within 15 or 20 minutes of going to bed, get back up for ten minutes and go read or do something relaxing again.
Nothing is more frustrating than lying there saying "I can't fall asleep" to yourself over and over. It stresses a person out, and makes it even harder.
Lastly, you need to focus on something that will not keep you awake. Environmental CD's with or without music can help. Nice rainstorm sounds or ocean waves so you aren't focusing on the sounds of your own breathing and can do some calming visualization. Another trick is to replay the plot of a book or movie in your head. If you forget something or screw something up, you start over. It gives your brain something noncritical to work on.

And ditch any and all forms of caffine, at least within four hours of going to bed.
Hope this helps and you get a good nights rest soon.
Gwyd
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
I never had any problems with caffine. I could drink a 32 oz. Coke and drop right off to sleep. Then suddenly I wasn't able to fall asleep. It took me a couple of months to realize that my body had CHANGED the way it reacts to caffine. I quit drinking any caffine drink after 5PM and instantly started dropping off to sleep on schedule.

Of course, your problem COULD be that you brain is constantly in a state of cognitive dissonance from calling soccer 'football'. Smile
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
If you know for a fact that the root of the problem is in stress of life or Caféne, then there is nothing wrong with the above techniques, try them and see what happens.

If those techniques do not work, best to see a doctor on the issue. There could be a medical reason for your sleep trouble.

I occasiionally have a night like you describe, and the key here is occaisionally. It is normal to have trouble sleeping now and then. Most people (maybe you maybe not) when they feel they have slept so little have actually taken a long series of short naps, and gotten more sleep then they realize.

6-7 Months is a VERY long time to go on so little sleep, my guess is you get more than think. However, that does not mean it is OK. Over time without enough Sleep you can becpome quite ill, pshycologically and physically.

I once went 2 1/2 days without sleep and that was not good.

See a Doctor if other methods don't help. And please, stay away from over the counter sleep aids, unless your docter recommends them.

Good luck...

Cliff
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Get thee to a sleep doctor ASAP. Sleep disorder are nothing to be taken lightly. There are many, many reason as to why you are not sleeping and simple folk remedies might be masking a more serious problem. I unknowingly suffered from Sleep Apnea for several years before being properly diagnosed. I was suffering over ninety events and hour and thus was never actually sleeping. I've been on a Bi-Pap now for several years and now can sleep through the entire night.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
See a doctor.
See a doctor.
See a doctor.
See a doctor.
See a doctor.

Am I making myself clear on this matter?
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
NiallTL
View Profile
Veteran user
308 Posts

Profile of NiallTL
Patrick, am I seeing quintuple?
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Let me clarify...
If you have trouble falling asleep, do as I suggested.
If you can't stay asleep, then yes...Seek medical attention.
Gwyd
(And I only play a doctor on stage)
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
Yep. And I'll say it again.

Seriously, talk to an MD. This is a serious matter. Serious. Serious. Serious.

As an aside... I'm not a doctor, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn last night.
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
Pete Legend
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1401 Posts

Profile of Pete Legend
Thanks for the advice guys!

Gsidhe you have without question gone through what Im going through..everything you said made perfect sense! Focusing on my own breathing,or a drip of a tap...very frustrating.Also the whole "Jesus I cant sleep!" monologue in my head very annoying.Thanks for the help and suggestions buddy!Nice to know Im not alone! Smile

airship lol I could of being going on about gaelic football (our national sport) but I wasnt yoiur right I was talking about soccer Smile By the way I watch a bit of your footie over here when ever I get..Dont know why but I like the eagles!

Cliff maybe your right,I have my phone next to me and it does seem like 2/3 hours but maybe I dose off for minutes in between without really noticing.2and half days without any sleep..sounds terrible man!

Thanks also Patrick and Payne,I think its the obvious sensible next step...I will go Monday and see what he has to say...

Got a game in the morning..fingers crossed I get some shut eye!Im begining to think that I put myself under so much pressure to sleep and as a result I don't...the doc visit Monday should be interesting..

Thanks again guys!

Pete
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Lack Of Sleep! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL