The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » "Invisible Palm" sleight (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I had the pleasure of having Bill Malone show me the last move (palm) of the Invisible Palm trick. I had been having trouble with that palm. However, after thinking about it especially in the venues I usually perform, which are often surrounded, I have decided that rear palm isn't for me. Does anyone have a substitude handling for getting that forth ace to travel to the other three? Maybe even another palm, like a handling using the magician's palm? Thanks.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4291 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Check the(argueably) original: Open Travellers, then check Paul Harris's work on it.

Much better to look at the beginnings instead of asking for substitutes for a 3rd or so generation variation.
Chris SD
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Chris SD
If you don't mind having a little bit of setup involved, check out Chris Kenner's version "TRVLRS1".
It's exceptionally clean.
JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
2024 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
I do not know if this is in print, but how about showing them what the last would look like if it was visible. You then slide top card out of your hand ( you are holding two right?) and place it on top of deck and say you will cover both piles.
remove both hands. Ask a spectator to quickly place palm on top of deck and lift up their hand. "see any one can do it..." I know it is outside of having them doing the last ace, but in Malone's presentation he calims how they cheat and you could patter how anyone could do it!
Furthermore, this will allow the last phase to happen in their hands a you let them turn over the 4 aces Smile
J.P.J.Stevenson
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of J.P.J.Stevenson
As Daegs says, definitely check out Paul Harris' handling in AoA.

JS
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Thank you, everyone.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Kawika
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of Kawika
Paul Harris performed three tape/dvds for The Stars of Magic series. I believe the third dvd is called Adventures in Close-up, where Paul performs Mondo Nifty Invisible Palm Aces. All of his effects in this series are extremely strong.
Jonathan P.
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1484 Posts

Profile of Jonathan P.
David stone version in his last DVD is great for table-hopping situation where performer is standing-up. Nice subtelties in handling the doubles as well. This DVD is a must have anyway...
Jonathan.
totothemagician
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of totothemagician
ToasterofDoom
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of ToasterofDoom
Hmm... I don't know if I really like the exchange into the four aces. It seems like a climax this trick doesn't need.
Jonathan P.
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1484 Posts

Profile of Jonathan P.
I am not fond of this "kicker ending" neither. But that wasn't my point.
under the table
View Profile
New user
Detroit
81 Posts

Profile of under the table
Having the aces in the end is pointless I think. Although its always fun to be able to show a card and then invisible palm it to the table and show the same card. I set mine up like that. So I can show at least ONE card before and after I "invisible palm" it to the table.
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Wow. David Stone's magic is usually better than that... And the camera work sucked. A layman watching might just as well think the aces were switched while the camera was on his face and the cards were hidden.

I dislike the idea of the cards changing at the end and I really dislike the Paul Harris 'cheap shot' packet switch.
Jonathan P.
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1484 Posts

Profile of Jonathan P.
BTW, the clip of David Stone is not his performance on the DVD, which is better. I don't know the source of this one, but it lacks of acting, relaxed rythm, and s.o.
Yehuda
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of Yehuda
I came up with my own odea for the fourth ace travel in invisible palm aces. If your routine uses an extra card then ditch it when up to the last ace. Take last ace face towards audience and do the first phase of Oz Pealrman's Card Vanishes on Stealing Pips. Make a throwing action with the hand that supposedly has the card while depositing the card in tenkai palm next to the other three aces. The "throw" will be misdirection for it. Then point to the ace next to the other three.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
I do not like to repeat a move - even it is a feint - several times for the audience.
Cards never lie
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
James, almost anything can work in context. Perhaps even Paul Harris's "Super Swindle" where in this case you put the ace between the other two cards. It really all depends on exactly how you want the routine to play.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
rawdawg
View Profile
Special user
Southern California
686 Posts

Profile of rawdawg
When I used to do this routine(quite some time ago), I was using a duplicate Ace. The extra Ace allowed me to "palm" the final Ace face up and finish with a very visual ending.
One time, when I was young, I botched a sleight so bad, Vernon, Marlo & Miller rolled over in their graves. But I didn't see Elmsley, probably because he was behind the others.
Vraagaard
View Profile
Inner circle
Copenhagen, Denmark
1479 Posts

Profile of Vraagaard
Paul Harris in AoA has a very practical way to get around the problem and so does David Stone. There will be no problems with the last palm.

I don't mind the change into four aces at all. When you are performing for a live audience, they will love it. Actually the best version I've ever seen of this effect ended with a 10 of spades being cut to (or casually dropped) and the four aces changed into the JS, Qs, Ks and As revealing a royal straight flush. I reacted strongly to this as a magician (I thought the effect was over), so it works, and the lay audience I perform for goes crazy when the change appears (Eric Decamps has the most wonderfull handling of this - this is the one I use - combine with PH's method for the 2nd transfer).

Try the change of the card, any changes of anything actually, out for a real audience before you slay it. Visual vanishes, color changes, changes in general is among the strongest in a lay persons eyes. They might be baffled with the invisible palming, but they go wild on the transfer (just like David Stone's "friends" does on his DVD). that's the paradox, what we believe is the finest (the invisible palm sequence) will sometimes be overruled by the simplest (the change) - it doesn't matter - its about having fun and entertaining - So after seeing Eric Decamps routine I chose to do this with a change in the end.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » "Invisible Palm" sleight (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL