The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Sudbury Penny (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JeffMac
View Profile
Veteran user
Sudbury, ont
350 Posts

Profile of JeffMac
Just a few questions on it. I from Sudbury and can't find any info on an old mint being here. We did and still do have a tourist attraction that was called the Big Nickle Mine now Dynamic Earth. At one time it had several large Coin Monuments and sold Coin souviners.
I am wondering if they are talking about the same thing. Reason I ask is the Bar I currently run was a Theater previously owned By Ted Silva the man that also owned the Big Nickle mine and there are still several coins kicking around from his days as the owner almost 30 years ago.
It's mostly Large nickles slightly larger than neilson Plaming coins. But there are some pennies as well.
thoughtsexplorer
View Profile
Elite user
Elite... not D-Lite!
424 Posts

Profile of thoughtsexplorer
Can't help you, sorry. But magicians would be happy if the "plaming coins" were real "palming coins", I am sure. That would be a great help...
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Hi guys!

In case folks are wondering about the subject...I just wanted to clarify that the Sudbury Penny, is a gaff copper coin made the size of a silver dollar. The details are similar to our copper Lincoln penny, but it says "copy" under the UNITED STATES on the back. I carry one along with a silver dollar. It makes for a great looking SPELLBOUND.

Why they call it the "Sudbury Penny", is a mystery.

Doug
JeffMac
View Profile
Veteran user
Sudbury, ont
350 Posts

Profile of JeffMac
On the Site is says they were made at the Sudbury Mint.
Sudbury is a Mining town in Northern Ontario canada and is one of the largest mining communities in the World. To commemerate this a mine was taken over by a private group and turned into a tourist attraction. At the time Sudbury was the Nickle Capital of the world and also the place where nickle was first smelted. it is made be sepperating nickle out of the Ore and Leaving Copper gold and other metals behind we also produce signifigant amounts of these metals as well.
Anyways the people who turned the mine into a tourist attraction decided they needed a above ground landmark and Built a very Large nickel (30Feet)
http://www.sudburyphotos.ca/showphoto.php?photo=1856
as well for a while there were several other coins in the gift shop they sold commemerative coins I'm wondering if they are the same. I don't have a U.S. Silver dollar to compare to but the pennys are larger than a 50 peice.
the Nickles are slightly larger still
PaulGreen
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of PaulGreen
The "Sudbury Penny" was manufactured in 1965 by the Sudbury Mint for the Lincoln Coin Memorial in Sudbury, Canada.

It was made out of copper colored bronze. It is a an exact replica of the US 1 cent coin. It is the size of an Eisenhower "silver" dollar (pre Susan B. Anthony or Sacquegewa coins). Aside from the Sudbury II coin available from our very own Brad Burt, it is the only high quality replica available.

Enjoy the search.

Regards,

Paul Green
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2325 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
I was given one of these a few years ago. Does anyone know the value for collectors? I think it's original as the date is 1965.
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1458 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
When I first came across the original Sudbury Penny around 1974, they were selling for $2.50 each. I assume you're asking the value for magic collectors, as it's not worth much to a coin collector. I've purchased them recently in mint condition on E-bay for anywhere from six to ten dollars each. I'm sure the seller's had no idea that magician's might pay much more for them. If I were to resell mine, I'd ask between twenty-five and fifty dollars each.

Also, they don't actually have the word "copy" on them. And, they're not "exact" duplicates. The obverse and reverse are facing the same way. That's not the case on a genuine penny.
cablerock
View Profile
Veteran user
362 Posts

Profile of cablerock
Paul, NicholasD is pretty much on.

I have purchased several Lincoln Sudbury pennies and even more Canadian ones. I would say you can easily sell it for 25, but you can hold out for ~40 or so.

With that being said most I have purchased were from non-magicians and were ~8-12 each.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Sudbury Penny (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL