The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » My Grandma had something VERY magical... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
You know, I suppose change is something we all have to accept...but not all change is good, and not all progress is either.

Example? Well, I was just thinking about the small town in Indiana where I live.

Back when I was a kid, and my grandma was alive she had something very magical, and very wonderful. It was called the "front porch swing". Grandma had one, and as a family we would employ that wonderful, creakin' contraption to just SIT and swing as a FAMILY, and chat, and treasure each other's company, and watch the world go casually by.

Sometimes we would eat home made ice cream together, or play a simple game...but it was so WARM in our hearts, and it was pure magic!

Now, I suddenly realize that as I drive through my town, there ARE NO MORE front porch swings. They have become a relic of the ancient past when families actually had time for one another.

SAD, but man how things have changed.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
We hung one on the front porch of the old house we bought halfway through our marriage. It was a favorite of old folks and young kids alike. My wife would often sit and swing and play her guitar on warm summer nights. It was the only house we ever lived in that had a porch swing, and I often think that many of our best memories were made there.

Now houses face backwards, to their decks and patios and big fenced-in backyards. Often the only thing you see when you drive past a new home is the big blank door to a two-car garage. Very un-neighborly.
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
CJRichard
View Profile
Special user
Massachusetts
542 Posts

Profile of CJRichard
Quote:
On 2006-12-12 11:33, airship wrote:
Now houses face backwards, to their decks and patios and big fenced-in backyards. Often the only thing you see when you drive past a new home is the big blank door to a two-car garage. Very un-neighborly.

And this has a lot to do with what's wrong in America today.
"You know some of you are laughin', but there's people here tryin' to learn. . ." -Pop Haydn

"I know of no other art that proclaims itself 'easy to do.'" -Master Payne

Ezekiel the Green
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
My best "grandparents/good ole days" memory was sitting around the piano. Grandma would play and the whole family would sing. It does not sound too entertaining, but it is. We always had a great time doing that. Back in New York, they had a paino bar that was like that. I wish I could still find a place like that near by where I live. People have largely forgotten that the simple things in life can often be the best things in life.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Oh yeah!
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Times change . . . .
Cards never lie
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
Gentlemen...

You have left out the pitcher of lemonade on the table next to the porch swing and running barefoot through the grass - catching lightning bugs in a mason jar.

Lyndel
CJRichard
View Profile
Special user
Massachusetts
542 Posts

Profile of CJRichard
Quote:
On 2006-12-12 17:32, Andy the cardician wrote:
Times change . . . .

Sometimes that's good, but sometimes it's not.

Individuals today seem to keep themselves more isolated from others--hiding on the deck in the back of the house behind the stockade fence, instead of sitting on the porch facing the street and each other. They don't know their neighbors as well. They don't look out for each other as much. Many suburban streets are sterile and lifeless.

On Wednesday mornings (my day off) I walk my six year old daughter a half-mile along Main Street to school. It is rare that we ever meet anyone else walking along the way.

That's not a particularly good thing.
"You know some of you are laughin', but there's people here tryin' to learn. . ." -Pop Haydn

Ezekiel the Green
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2006-12-12 17:32, Andy the cardician wrote:
Times change . . . .

Umm, that's what I said at the beginning of my original post....
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2006-12-12 20:24, Lyndel wrote:
Gentlemen...

You have left out the pitcher of lemonade on the table next to the porch swing and running barefoot through the grass - catching lightning bugs in a mason jar.

Lyndel

Lightning bugs in a mason jar...that is what we did every june as Grandma sat on that porch swing and watched us with happy delight. Then after we caught them in the jar, we would get BACK on the swing and share our glowing treasures with her.

So the swing remained central...a focal point of all the other family activities.
CJRichard
View Profile
Special user
Massachusetts
542 Posts

Profile of CJRichard
My grandmother had one of those large two-seated glider swings in the yard. I have a very clear memory of her singing a particular song to me while swinging there. When my daughter was younger, I sang the same song to her at bedtime a few nights a week. Every single time I sang that song it brought to mind the image of my grandmother singing on the glider swing.

The other grandmother had a swing on her porch, but that porch was on a second floor apartment. It was a little too high for my liking when I was three or four.

In the house I grew up in, which my brother now owns, we had rocking chairs on the porch. We always sat out there during thunderstorms, watching the water rush down the street out front.

We used mayonnaise jars for lightning bugs. Still, do, actually. I caught some for my daughter last summer.

Ezekiel the Green
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Yhe fond memories grow sweeter with times relentles passing, it seems.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » My Grandma had something VERY magical... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL