The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Twisted UnTwisted (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
I am looking for a simple prop to buy or make to help me illustrate the idea that whether an idea makes sense (untwisted) or seems odd (twisted) depends on ones perspective. That what seems righ to the word, is really twisted
Proverbs 14:12 (NASB)
There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death.

The prop that I have in mind consists of 2 inter-twined cords. One is twisted/curled around the length of the other(which is straight/untwisted). Yet when I release tension on the straight piece, it becomes twisted around the first(which is now straight/untwisted).

The closest item I've come up with for this a coiled telephone cord with a straight cord strung through the center of the coils. Yet I can't get this to work, possibly in part because the way I threaded a rope through the cord, and also that the cord doesn't fully straighten out.

Any ideas?

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Think of the letter Y. Two of them one at the top and one at the bottom. The pivot points set at the center of the two Y arms. Use an elastic cord for each on both being twisted together slightly as they run through the veiwing area. As both Ys are shifted you shold have one cord pulled tight and one twisted if the lengths and strengths of elastic are correct. It may require much testing of twists, lenghts and strengths. Cover the pivot arms and the two different colors should produce the effect in a specified visable area.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
BryanKelly
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of BryanKelly
Quote:
On 2006-12-24 15:49, KingStardog wrote:
Think of the letter Y. Two of them one at the top and one at the bottom. The pivot points set at the center of the two Y arms. Use an elastic cord for each on both being twisted together slightly as they run through the veiwing area. As both Ys are shifted you shold have one cord pulled tight and one twisted if the lengths and strengths of elastic are correct. It may require much testing of twists, lenghts and strengths. Cover the pivot arms and the two different colors should produce the effect in a specified visable area.

I bet you write patents for a living because that was written like a pro...confusing as heck. Smile
BryanKelly
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of BryanKelly
Not exactly what you asked for but this is what came to mind. Maybe you can use it, maybe not.

I was playing around and making my own a*****ing straws when I noticed a neat little twisting principle. You have to have the straws with stripes going straight down the side. Mine was a white straw with different colored stripes, I think. Well anyway, if you don't know how to make one, take a small pare of scissors and cut a single slit going long-ways all the way down the straw. Even with this slit the plastic will maintain its form and look perfectly like a normal straw. You just wont be able to suck a thing through it.

This is a miniature version of a certain something you should know about. If you haven't seen this performed with a straw... let me know and I'll give you a link.

But what I noticed was something neat... with the lines. If you take the straw with your fingers on opposite ends, and start twisting the straw... obviously the lines will start to twist too. But you cant see the slit in the straw so it looks like a rubbery straw that you can twist, and then if you let go it untwists and looks like a normal straw again... try it out... its kinda neat.

Everyone knows how firm straws are so it really looks impossible...
BryanKelly
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of BryanKelly
Maybe drink from a straw, have it examined ask them to try to twist it, obviously they can't, then switch it out, and then twist it your self...idk tell me what you think...
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
KingStar:

I tried wrapping one rope around a straight piece of a second rope. When I pulled on the rope that was initially twisted, the one that was initially straight, became twisted. Ta Daaa.

Yet it was not very impressive to look at. At the very least I would need different colored pieces to make clear that the change occurred. The elastic cord sounds like a good idea. I may just need to experiment with different materials to see which is visually effective, and easy to handle(I don't want to have to keep re-twisting the cords).

Bryan: I had previously noticed that twisting of the prepared straws(it took me awhile to figure out what "a*****ing" meant Smile). Yet, it doesn't seem to illustrate as well what I was interested in, namely that some ideas appear twisted only because our reference frame is twisted.

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
I am so glad I wasn't the only one that had a hard time figuring out "a*****ing."

I was thinking of the photograph of Jerry Andrus, and his mysterious box. Where is standing inside it, but really he isn't. All perspective. Or the possiblity of the drawing of the old woman/young woman, depending on what you are looking at, or for.

How big does this have to play?

RevJohn
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
RJ

I was thinking this would be relatively close up.
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
If it is pretty up close, then what about Reality Twister? I am just thinking out loud, as well.

RevJohn
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Twisted UnTwisted (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL