The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » New Roya/Stingham DVDs anyone? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1695 Posts

Profile of Futureal
Anyone seen the new balloon DVD's Hank Lee recently put on his Hot List?

Balloon Sculpting DVDs -
Volume One- Will Roya: Beginning Single Balloon Sculpting - Get ready to grab a bag of 260q's and learn over 35 balloon animals & figures with professional balloon artist and Las Vegas entertainer Will Roya. These balloon creations are simple, commercial, and easy to make. You will be able to impress and entertain groups of children and adults in no time. Will also reveals his favorite bits of business when entertaining with balloons and reveals some of his marketing secrets for the aspiring professional in a candid interview with S. Frank Stringham. Whether you are a complete beginner or just looking to increase your repertoire, this is the DVD for you. $19.95

Volume Two - S. Frank Stringham: Expert balloon sculptor and Las Vegas performer S. Frank Stringham is ready to take your skill to the next level with some of his favorite intermediate multiple balloon figures. Besides entertaining you throughout this entire DVD he will show you the proper technique for blowing up a balloon and some of his signature techniques like making eye balls, to give your figures that extra special touch. Also S. Frank sits down with Will Roya to tell you about his career. You now have no excuse not to take your balloon sculpting to the next level with this easy to learn from DVD. $19.95

Volume Four - S. Frank Stringham: Hats and Cartoons are some of the most requested figures for the working balloon artist and S. Frank Stringham shares some of his favorite with you. From a basic flower hat to a 13 balloon elaborate monster hat, plustips on how to customize your tips. Learn two popular cartoon characters along with a general superhero that can be easily adapted to create just about any popular superhero. These are advanced detailed multiple balloon figures, not the generic figures you see some other sculptors make with only a few balloons, so be ready to do some serious twisting! A special bonus feature includes the underground hit music "POP" starring "One Eyed Jack" that is guaranteed to make you smile. $19.95
Ryan Price
View Profile
Special user
winnipeg, MB, Canada
641 Posts

Profile of Ryan Price
These seem to be an amazing resource. Has anyone viewed them? If so what are your thoughts?

Thanks
Tivoli
View Profile
Loyal user
Paris (France)
252 Posts

Profile of Tivoli
I didn't but I know S. He is soooooooooooooooooo good my friends, it depends of your skills level but you can directly to the 2nd and 3rd volume just for S
Arthur Tivoli
Fantaisiste-Magicien
www.arthurtivoli.com
Michael238
View Profile
Inner circle
1193 Posts

Profile of Michael238
I have vol4, and it is phenominal!
smartypants
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of smartypants
Hello all, just picked up a set of S. Frank Stringham's "Entertaining with Balloons" on DVD. I actually got just vol 2, 3 and 4, since vol 1 was billed as a "Beginner's" DVD, so I skipped it. Anyway, here's a quick review, your mileage may vary...

The Good: S. Frank is not just a balloon twister, or a balloon twisting entertainer, but a consummate, all-around entertaining talent. His personality and skill shows through on these DVDs. He's funny, and fun to watch throughout.

The DVDs have good, solid balloons, from simple stuff to more complex creations. His section on weaving is easy to follow and a nice overview of the art without getting too bogged down. There's lots of nice ideas here, some new and some "classics', but overall, good stuff.

Also, S. Frank has a nicely done section about his "America's Got Talent" experience. Very interesting "behind the scenes" interview for us curious types.

The Bad - I'm a little disappointed in this set, mainly because my expectations were so high. The DVDs focus mainly on twisting balloons - nothing wrong with that, but I had hoped for more material on entertaining with balloon twisting - routine ideas, comedy suggestions, discussions of what S. Frank actually does on stage with balloons, etc. The DVDs have good material, but there's already tons of twisting resources already out there, and with S. Frank such a creative and unique talent, I was hoping to see more of the work on this tape that only S. Frank can do, the stage stuff that's garnered him his well-earned stellar reputation.

Also, the interview with Will Roya wasn't filmed very well - I would have used the classic two-camera interview technique, of the interviewer asking the question, followed by a shot of S. Frank answering. The interviewer seemed a bit unpolished in his interview skills - not a huge deal on a DVD like this, but I really did want to know more about S. Frank as a performer and this interview didn't quite do the job 100%

Overall, I'd recommend the set - each DVD is very reasonably priced ( I paid about $20 each) and available from most magic shops and a few dealers on ebay. Worth the money, but hey S. Frank, let's get a second round of DVDs going!
For more about Smarty Pants, see smartypantsworld.com!
toomuchmagic
View Profile
Special user
534 Posts

Profile of toomuchmagic
I ordered vol 1, 2, and 4 (not interested in the letters, though I may pick it up sometime later if I get bored.)

Vol. 2 box came empty?

One is ok for basics, but there are better dvds out there...

Four is just great. Except S.'s explanation confuses me a lot, because sometimes he is repeating himself...and sometimes he really means to make another pinch twist. If you have the dvd you know what I mean....if you don't...get your pause button warmed up.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
How long do they run?

(Just for mark)
:rotf:
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
Quote:
On 2007-07-17 11:32, dave_matkin wrote:
How long do they run?

(Just for mark)
:rotf:

#### resist the need to self promote####

S is a great guy he talked with me for 5 minutes at Twist and Shout : )
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Wow he managed to talk to you for a whole 5 minutes! He disserves a medal ....

Oh and congratulations on resisting the urge to promote your 2 DVDs.

IN fact double congrats as you managed to resist the urge to promote both Bad to the balloon 1 and 2

And well done on not saying that you can preview the trailer for number 1 here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNXzX4tMBI4 and a funny short here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiFHnsCwDmI that comes on the DVD number 2!

And especially well done on not saying that both available direct from you at a very reasonable price!

I don’t know how you managed to resist it!!

But well done for not saying any of that stuff!
Mishel
View Profile
New user
Israel
100 Posts

Profile of Mishel
I am starting to think Dave and Mark are the same person...
Mishel.
Don't let the same dog bite you twice.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Strange how you never see us both at the same place at the same time!

And for that matter how we never email at the same time as well!

OHHHHh conspiracy theorists untie!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » New Roya/Stingham DVDs anyone? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL