The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Chris Angel's Mindfreak (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
They ran a block of Mindfreak last night. I got to see (on my big screen TV) the sequence I'd caught on YouTube where Chris had the girl on the park bench pulled in two!

When I saw it on YouTube, I was stunned for a second because I hadn't been expecting it. Then I recognized the effect which I'd only read about for years.

However, if I can ask without giving too much away... how did she move so naturally and how did she lie down so casually?

PM me if you have a suggestion or if you want clarification as to what the Hey I'm talking about!
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
It took me while too. I had to rewind it a few times on my DVR (Pause and rewinds live tv) to find out what in the heck happend. I was shocked! My whole family just yelled WHAT THE %$R^%$#^%#???????
It was kindof disturbing. But if it was done the way I am suspecting, then I have the same questions you do. How DID she move so freely?
munkywrench
View Profile
Loyal user
Conway, SC
298 Posts

Profile of munkywrench
Wireless comunication and plenty of practise?
Family Biz. https://www.facebook.com/dreamweaverconway/
Disciple of the Close-Up Kinda Guy PH.
Balloon Blast Video Show junkie.
Supporter of http://www.myrtlebeachmagician.com/
Retired Demo Dude
IBM #334 supporter
MagicMatt13
View Profile
New user
New Berlin, WI
7 Posts

Profile of MagicMatt13
This is what I think. I believe that the top half of the women was a real women who was born with only the top half of her body. (I've seen it.) The bottem half was a women that could stretch her body in half. Before the trick they stacked on top of each other and the one on the bottem holding the top women.
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
It's actually an illusion originated by Kevin James, called (I think) "Operation" or some such, and I understand there's been a lot of discontent about Criss Angel using it on TVwithout bothering with permission or credit.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
From what I understand Criss uses a lot of effects credited to others without asking permission. I guess he has enough money to just pay them to go away.

I remember seeing this illusion on Mindfreak when it originally aired, and my stomach flipped over. Afterwards of course I realized how it was done but it was nonetheless a very startling illusion.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2006-12-31 14:27, DStachowiak wrote:
It's actually an illusion originated by Kevin James, called (I think) "Operation" or some such, and I understand there's been a lot of discontent about Criss Angel using it on TVwithout bothering with permission or credit.

That illusion was done back in the '40s I believe. Although I can't remember the name of the magician who originated it.

Perhaps KJ is the one who came up with a way to do it in public. The other magician did it on a stage and switched people at the last second.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
There's probably a long history of this kind of thing, people who have unusual physical anomalies being the basis of bizarre theatre. I know little people have been eployed this way often in the past, and the carnival geek shows were often performed by people who were either born different or maimed.

It's tempting to condemn this as exploitation, but it may just be a way for people to come to terms with, or even benifit from, being unusual or different.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1403 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
This was not originated by Kevin James.
This illusion was done in 1937 by Raja Raboid using Johnny Eck and his twin brother, Robert. The difference between the two twins was that Johnny was born with nothing beneath his ribcage, i.e. he consisted of trunk, arms and head.
His twin would be invited onstage and then switched for Johnny and a midget dressed up as the bottom half.
It's all in the reflexes.
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Quote:
On 2007-01-01 13:12, meauxfeaux wrote:
This was not originated by Kevin James.
This illusion was done in 1937 by Raja Raboid using Johnny Eck and his twin brother, Robert. The difference between the two twins was that Johnny was born with nothing beneath his ribcage, i.e. he consisted of trunk, arms and head.
His twin would be invited onstage and then switched for Johnny and a midget dressed up as the bottom half.

Then I stand corrected. If that is so, then I think Criss Angel is owed an apology from a lot of magicians, as he has been really widely criticized over this. Where can I learn more of the history of Rajah Raboid's version? Milbourne Christopher's "Illustrated History of Magic" only mentions him twice, referring to him rather dismissively as "Rajah Raboid, a Vaudeville crystal gazer", but mentions him in connection with the Thurston show and La Follette, which would tend to indicate that he must have been a bigger name than Christopher would have us believe.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
sibbie
View Profile
Special user
East Coast
525 Posts

Profile of sibbie
Rajah Raboid's version, I believe, is quickly mentioned on A&E's "The Story of Magic" with Ricky Jay. The only difference in the effect is that in Raboid's version the bottom half would run away and the top half would chase it and in Criss Angel's version just the top half scurryed away.

As Mandrake pointed out, Mr. James's may have a method but the plot outdates him by several decades.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
The "Illustrated History of Magic" is a great read, but one should take what it says with a grain of salt, as one should with any book. As writers, personal opinions color what we write, and not everyone has the same standard of research.

Tony
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2007-01-01 06:32, DStachowiak wrote:
There's probably a long history of this kind of thing, people who have unusual physical anomalies being the basis of bizarre theatre. I know little people have been eployed this way often in the past, and the carnival geek shows were often performed by people who were either born different or maimed.

It's tempting to condemn this as exploitation, but it may just be a way for people to come to terms with, or even benifit from, being unusual or different.

It might be exploitation, OTOH, it just might be that she enjoyed freaking out the "straights!"
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Quote:
On 2007-01-01 22:27, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
The "Illustrated History of Magic" is a great read, but one should take what it says with a grain of salt, as one should with any book. As writers, personal opinions color what we write, and not everyone has the same standard of research.

Tony

True Enough, Tony, it just happened to be the reference that was close at hand.
I have always enjoyed Christopher but I have always been suspicious of history written by someone who was almost a contemporary of his subjects, they tend to grind personal axes a lot. Christopher would have been in his teens, and certainly active in Magic, at the time Rajah Raboid was performing. He might well have had an opportunity to develop a grudge, or at least a negative impression.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
rpierce
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire - USA
1220 Posts

Profile of rpierce
I saw Criss Angel on youtube, does anyone know where to find the effect of disappearing from the outside garden tables?
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I <did> notice something in watching the clip for the umteenth time.

Angel reaches up and cradles the head of the woman as she's laying down. This would make sense if she's "top heavy" and won't be able to lay down gracefully on her own.
Alex Linian
View Profile
Inner circle
Peru
1277 Posts

Profile of Alex Linian
...Not an exposure forum...
Scattered Dream
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of Scattered Dream
I was looking up criss angel on youtube and I saw something very bizarre. I was watching him performing a levitation with a women, the video was old. The women he was levitating was the same women he levitated there on Fremont Street in his season 1 of mindfreak.
Scattered Dream
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of Scattered Dream
I was looking up criss angel on youtube and I saw something very bizarre. I was watching him performing a levitation with a women, the video was old. The women he was levitating was the same women he levitated there on Fremont Street in his season 1 of mindfreak.
Maleficia
View Profile
Regular user
Ottawa, ON, Canada
101 Posts

Profile of Maleficia
Apparently, there used to be a similar effect to "that quarter through arm" one Criss performed called "Surgical Reveal", but it has since disappeared from the market. I don't think it's the same one, but it's close. Ebay might yield some results.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Chris Angel's Mindfreak (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL