The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Http://www.magicste.co.uk (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Stephen Williams
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of Stephen Williams
Hi Brad,
Thanks for your reply. I will do my best to answer all your questions. First I will try to tell you my question, "What can I change so my website looks more professional, so people don’t think that I am just a kid with a Paul Daniels magic set?"

"Who do I want to visit my site?" - I would like people who can further my career to visit my site, weather it be by booking or just to get the name Sparks out there!

"How do I want people to find my site?" - My website is on my business cards and on the Late Lounge flyers, also a local newspaper has decided to print an article about me and they said that they would do there best to put my web address in it too.

"What action do I want visitors to my site to take?" - I would like visitors to look through every page of my site and hopefully tell one or more people about Sparks and the fact that you can book something unusual (because of the magic I can do at my age) for there party or occasion.

I hope this helps.
Magically,
Ste.
P.S Yes SoCalPro, that is 'The Silent Treatment' in my pocket.
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
Your website is definitely improving. The slow loading photos can be be reduced in file size and that should speed them up. I've sent you an email with two photos that I have reduced for you. I just reduced the image size (one was HUGE!) and saved them for the web using Adobe Photoshop Elements. That should do it for you. Keep up the good work.

Jim
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
Stephen Williams
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Thanks a lot Jim,
I was wondering how to make them faster, is this possible for me to do this is Fireworks or Corel Paint Shop Pro Xl?
Thanks again, I will put them onto my site now,
Ste
Baggins
View Profile
Regular user
london
148 Posts

Profile of Baggins
Sparks, zap, pyro, dynamo. These all names of pro magciians with electrical themd names that may also be used as batman graphics in fight scenes.

p.s also mr electric.

Phelston Jones also controls the elements but he doesn't work much anymore.
benlewis2004
View Profile
Regular user
150 Posts

Profile of benlewis2004
Seems like a fairly good site. However, you quote on your site that you are a comedy magician.

Now a real comedy magician (what the customers expects) is someone who is proficient in both skills. IE you would perform 45 minutes stand up comedy with no magi, not a magician with a few one liners and a few situational jokes.
BradBrown
View Profile
Regular user
Florence, KY, USA
183 Posts

Profile of BradBrown
You can reduce the image file size in most any decent graphics program. I have access to an older version of Paint Shop Pro. Under the File menu there is an option for Export. The Export option has, among other things, a JPEG optimizer and a GIF optimizer. As a general rule, you should export photos as JPEG and line art and other graphics as GIF. Since you have a newer version of Paint Shop, the menu option may not be the same, but I'm sure the functionality is still there somewhere.

There is also a free online tool for optimizing web graphics. It is here: http://www.netmechanic.com/products/GIFbot_FreeSample.shtml

-Brad
BradBrown
View Profile
Regular user
Florence, KY, USA
183 Posts

Profile of BradBrown
Ste,

I do like a lot about your site. Here are a few suggestions for you to consider.

In my opinion, your initial splash page isn't helping you reach your goals. When I look at that picture, the first thing I notice is how young you look. I think people may jump to the conclusion you are just "a kid with a magic kit." Once people form a first impression, it's hard to change their minds. While there are things that could be done to fix the page, I'd recommend removing it entirely, and making your home page the first page they see. I've always felt a splash page without any useful content is just a barrier between your visitors and the content they came for. (Of course. many people feel differently, or there wouldn't be so many of these kinds of splash pages out there.)

Your home.htm page looks good. The picture of you in action is great. I would recommend adding at least a little content to the page. This could be just a good quote about you, or a headline that gives a benefit of bringing you to an event.

If you want people to visit every page, then guide them through the site. At the bottom of each page, tell them where to go next and provide a link. For example, at the bottom of the Sparks page, add a big link that says something like "Click here to read what people are saying about the magic of Sparks" to take them to the Quotes page. You should still keep the navigation menu at the top so folks can choose to go somewhere else where they want, but guide them where YOU want them to go.

On the contact page, I'd be a little "pushier." Tell them what to do and why. Instead of "Feel free to contact me..." I'd go with something more direct, like "Contact me now to..." Also, make your e-mail a click-able link to make it as simple as possible for people to respond.

I hope these suggestions are helpful, or at least give you something to think about. Good luck and have fun!

-Brad
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1634 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Quote:
On 2007-01-04 13:01, benlewis2004 wrote:
Seems like a fairly good site. However, you quote on your site that you are a comedy magician.

Now a real comedy magician (what the customers expects) is someone who is proficient in both skills. IE you would perform 45 minutes stand up comedy with no magi, not a magician with a few one liners and a few situational jokes.

I disagree Ben. I myself am a Comedy Magician. Have been since 1992. My show is filled with comical presentations, jokes, one liners, audience interaction and tons of energy. I really don't believe that your client expects that you will be doing 45 mins of nothing but stand up. If they wanted a stand up comedy show, they would have called a comedian. I bring the best of both worlds. Smile
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1634 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Quote:
On 2007-01-05 00:19, BradBrown wrote:
Ste,

I do like a lot about your site. Here are a few suggestions for you to consider.

In my opinion, your initial splash page isn't helping you reach your goals. When I look at that picture, the first thing I notice is how young you look. I think people may jump to the conclusion you are just "a kid with a magic kit." Once people form a first impression, it's hard to change their minds. While there are things that could be done to fix the page, I'd recommend removing it entirely, and making your home page the first page they see. I've always felt a splash page without any useful content is just a barrier between your visitors and the content they came for. (Of course. many people feel differently, or there wouldn't be so many of these kinds of splash pages out there.)

Your home.htm page looks good. The picture of you in action is great. I would recommend adding at least a little content to the page. This could be just a good quote about you, or a headline that gives a benefit of bringing you to an event.

If you want people to visit every page, then guide them through the site. At the bottom of each page, tell them where to go next and provide a link. For example, at the bottom of the Sparks page, add a big link that says something like "Click here to read what people are saying about the magic of Sparks" to take them to the Quotes page. You should still keep the navigation menu at the top so folks can choose to go somewhere else where they want, but guide them where YOU want them to go.

On the contact page, I'd be a little "pushier." Tell them what to do and why. Instead of "Feel free to contact me..." I'd go with something more direct, like "Contact me now to..." Also, make your e-mail a click-able link to make it as simple as possible for people to respond.

I hope these suggestions are helpful, or at least give you something to think about. Good luck and have fun!

-Brad

Brad,
I can honestly say that I am scared to have you look at my page. LOL
BradBrown
View Profile
Regular user
Florence, KY, USA
183 Posts

Profile of BradBrown
I hope I wasn't too mean or scary. I certainly didn't intend to be. Actually, with the exception of ripping out the splash page, I thought my suggestions were pretty small--more tweaks than major changes. I think Ste's site is actually a great beginning. He's avoided most of the mistakes magicians tend to make when they first put together a website.

And don't worry SoCalPro, you're safe. I don't give unsolicited advice. (Though I couldn't resist taking a quick peek at your site, and it looked good. I'm sure I could find something to pick on if I tried. Let's face it there's always room for improvement, and that includes my sites. I've got a list in my head of things I want to change on my sites when I get the time.)
Stephen Williams
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Thank you everyone.
Thanks Brad for taking the time to help me. I would just like to say that I have made the following changes to my site, I have removed the splash page, I now have a quote on the home page, at the bottom of each page is a click-able link to the next page and I have made my e-mail address a click-able link!
Thanks again,
Ste.
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
You will go very far my friend if a great, professional attitude was success fuel! (And it IS, in part!)

Great Job!
Dean Hankey, *M.D. - The Dean of Success Solutions!
Serving & Supporting YOU and Your Success!
"Book More Shows... Make More Money... SERVE MORE PEOPLE! - Not Necessarily In That Order…"

(*Marketing Doctor) Smile
Stephen Williams
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Thanks Dean, I really appreciate it!
Ste.
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1634 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Quote:
On 2007-01-05 17:31, TheDean wrote:

You will go very far my friend if a great, professional attitude was success fuel! (And it IS, in part!)

Great Job!

I second that. We've seen other "younger" magi that come in here. Most don't seem to have half the professionalism that you seem to have. Keep your head on straight, you're gonna do great! Smile

JIM
Essie
View Profile
Loyal user
Boulder, CO
278 Posts

Profile of Essie
I'd agree with the others here in congratulating you on your page so far. One minor thing I noticed was that in the "sparks" section (the first link), there's a typo. It currently says "..with a smile on there face," where it should probably say "...with smiles on their faces." Also, in a couple places you used "slight of hand" instead of "sleight of hand." Pretty minor, but I thought I'd point them out. Good job so far!
"Comfort the disturbed, disturb the comfortable."
-Jeff McBride
Stephen Williams
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Thanks Essie,
I have now changed the errors.
Thanks again,
Ste
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Http://www.magicste.co.uk (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL