The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Making a living of a Restaurant Job (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

martinjmac
View Profile
New user
Georgia
35 Posts

Profile of martinjmac
I was just wondering if it was possible to make enough money to live off of or is this just a weekend job for some extra cash? Smile
Thanks
-Martin-
Andrew E. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1428 Posts

Profile of Andrew E. Miller
It depends...I would say that you most likely could not make a living off a job at one restaurant, but certainly many of them. The pay is pretty good and the more restaurants you work at the better. I think it is definately possible and I am sure people do it.
If you get bored go to www.a-miller.idz.net and watch some magic.

-Andrew
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
I'm not trying to be sarcastic, but it depends on how you want to live. You'll never make big bucks off of the money you receive from restaurants, but you can use it as a vehicle to get much higher paying private gigs by passing out cards at the restaurant, by advising potential clients who call you and who haven't seen you perform anywhere to check you out at the restaurant, etc.
Bfrancabandera
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Bfrancabandera
While I do not have any experience in the field of table hopping, it does seem like wonderful advertising (and you get paid for it!) Smile Smile
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
If you have the desire to work at restaurants try finding as many as you can for different days of the week. You can make a living making more than a average worker, working less hours. One good book to read is "The Restaurant Worker's Handbook," by Jim Pace. And an audio tape named "Restaurant Magic Business," by Charles Greene.

There was a magician in Micigan named "Al the Only." He made a living off of restaurant magic. He did good marketing. That is why he now lives in Hawaii.
sleightly
View Profile
Elite user
New Hampshire
500 Posts

Profile of sleightly
You can make a decent living off of restaurant & bar magic, but it does require proper targeting and positioning to get the pay this type of work ought to...

For more detailed information, see The Magic Menu compilation volumes or, better yet, subscribe (www.magicmenu.net)!

Andrew
Michael_MacDonald
View Profile
1964 - 2016
Washington
2034 Posts

Profile of Michael_MacDonald
actually, due to some hard work I made 42k last year doing nothing but strolling.
29k the year befor doing table hopping in mid range restaurants.

so yes, you can make good money.
but..........with the marketing I am doing and the response i am getting this year will be quite a bit higher on the pay ladder.

I am now doing the resorts, corp. parties, wddings, and trade shows.
this year should make last year pale.

Marketing is the key.
just my 2 cents

Michael Macdonald
BenSchwartz
View Profile
Elite user
Southern California
499 Posts

Profile of BenSchwartz
See... Michael speaks from experience. As of right now. I work four hours a week and probably make about 10 k a year and that is inclusing all the shows I do. So it pays very well for how long you do it for. But I can't complain I am only 17. Hee hee hee hee.
"The experience of astonishment is the experience of a clear, primal state of mind that they associate with a child's state of mind." ---- Paul Harris
Elijahhenry
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Elijahhenry
That's how I'm paying the rent... Hustle hustle and more hustle... Birthdays, Anniversaries, Clubs anywhere anytime...Constantly promote yourself and your talent and anything is possible...

Like Mike said Marketing and Promotions is everything...
Clayman
View Profile
Loyal user
New Jersey
243 Posts

Profile of Clayman
I would like to know if there is a format of such that one would use to negotiate the price of the hopper. I guess what I'm trying to ask is "How do you price your gig?" Do you go for free and hope for tips? Please, any info on this is appreciated.
"A flash of silvery light ..and it was gone."
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Clayman,
Avoid working for free and hoping for tips; this is akin to begging! (Now I await the flames from those who contend that they do just fine on tips!)
In fact, I avoid accepting tips whenever possible.
There are a couple of reasons why:
First of all, YOU are usually not the main reason the customers are in the restaurant; so you don't want to "blackmail" them into paying more than they want to (the tip) for something they didn't order (you!). I always stress that the magic entertainment is complimentary, a little gift from the management while they're waiting for the food to arrive.
Second, tips in a restaurant are the province of the wait staff and you can tick them off if they perceive that you are cutting into their territory. So what, you say. Well, anyone who doesn't see the value -- nay, the necessity -- of having the wait staff on your side isn't working restaurants (and probably isn't working, period!)
Third, I find it demeaning; maybe that's just me, but it's something I stand by. If someone offers a tip, I turn it down politely; if they offer it a second time, I accept it, because I don't want to offend the customer who sees this as the best way of saying "thanks". But I certainly don't hustle tips.

Best way to price yourself in a restaurant is to charge, per hour, what a table for two would spend. It makes for a selling point with the management ("It's only going to cost you the price of two dinners to increase your customer base."), and it means you only have to get two people into the place (who wouldn't normally go there) to justify your pay.

Selling yourself to the management is a bit trickier: The selling point is what you can do for them -- boost traffic, provide a more enjoyable atmosphere for the customers, etc. -- not what the restaurant can do for you!
Review your sales pitch and, every time you see the word "I", cut it out.
And, oh yes, be prepared for a LOT of rejections!
kasper777
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of kasper777
There is a magician here that is contracted to work only one restaurant and makes 50k a year. He's been there for about 6 yrs now. He doesn't just do strolling, he also helps out in marketing. Does school shows and other publicity stuff to help promote the place. By doing that, he is more to the restaurant than just a magician, he's part of their management. That is another pitch to through at a restaurant you are trying to get hire for, point out that you will advertise their place, by doing a trick that you can give away that has both the business name and your name on it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Making a living of a Restaurant Job (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL