The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » L & L's newly released Paul Potassy DVD. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
I spent last night watching this amazing set. From the introduction by Jeff McBride to the performance then the interview with Max Maven, the first DVD just blew me away. This first disk was worth more than the asking price of the set.
The act was technically and artistically perfect. The magic and presentation, was more than I could have hoped for, but it is the man and his charisma that fills the stage. At the end of the performance Paul Potassy received a rousing standard ovation, this was not just courtesy from the L&L audience, this was recognition for the art that was witnessed and out of respect for the performance it had been treated to.

The second DVD goes through most every conceivable aspect of preparation, execution, psychology, and philosophy of the material performed, you get the how's and why's.

The third DVD provides additional material, some of which is not in the book. Much of this is classic material, but in the hands of a master. His thoughts on the Brainwave are enlightening, his card across, masterful, his cards to pocket, amazing and brings a smile to my face just thinking about it.

If you are looking for a set of DVDs to find material to add to your act, look elsewhere, if you want to learn the art of performing from a master, get these now. The reason I say this is brought out in a statement from Max Maven during the interview, which I will paraphrase: 'Everything you do in your act fits you perfectly... ’ The material as performed on the set is a part of Paul Potassy, and this small part is a wonder to behold.

Tony Iacoviello
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2076 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Thanks for the wonderful and very timely review of this newly released DVD set Tony.

Just curious, does Paul share much in the way of technique and /.or showmanship in terms of his pickpocketing routine and abilities?

Jonathan
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Jlevey

Yes, he does. It is a bit limited because of the medium, but he (as he states it) explains it to the best of his ability. Every aspect is explained. (Tom, as the "victim" of the explanation, could shed better light on this. Smile Good Job Tom!)

I'm not a fan of pickpocketing for entertainment, but his version is so well thought out and executed, and ends in such a flurry of activity, it is highly entertaining.

Tony
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2076 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Thanks Tony!

I plan to order my set of Potassy DVDs very soon.

Jonathan
Jonathan
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Our friends at MJM Magic have this set:
http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/the-worldr......830.html
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
I was with Paul last night and we talk endlessly about his new DVD set. He says that the dvd is exactly like the book except for the rising card effect. He totally gave everything away in this project. THis is according to him, is his greatest gift to the community and art that he loves so dearly. I think it would be best for the serious students of magic to get both the book and the DVD. Watch the DVD and use the book as a reference.

Here is a photo of Paul, the lovely Lita, my friends, Chubby Flores (top kiddy magician in Manila), Lou Hilario ( Manila's Premiere magician for more than 20 years) and myself.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l296/r......7147.jpg

Enjoy the DVDs and experience the magic of Paul Potassy!

Rannie Raymundo
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

PS.... The only secret Paul did not share is how he keeps his fantastic haircut is top form, as well as the brand of hairspray he uses. Sorry guys.... he tipped it only to me! Heck I even know where he has his hair cut! LOL! Thanks for everything Paul!
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Rannie, thanks for sharing that wonderful photo of such good friends!!

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
learachel
View Profile
Elite user
446 Posts

Profile of learachel
FANTASTIQUE DVD! really! buy it!
fbnc
View Profile
Loyal user
Memphis
227 Posts

Profile of fbnc
These Paul Potassy Dvd's are a real education into how magic should be performed, his performance is as close to perfection as one can get (IMO). Watching him do his razor blade effect will make your hair stand on end, you just know he's handling the real deal. Just a great set of dvd's from a great magician.
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
Just to show y'all what a pro Paul is...., He was very sick during the filming of his DVD. Lita , Paul's wonderful wife was so worried.

Too bad they were not able to capture Lita's facial reaction when Paul was explaining the Blade routine.... She was absolutely astonished to finally find out how dear Paul does it!
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2076 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Rannie, your timely review of Potassy's recent release is definitely "cutting edge".... Thanks!

Please keep the reviews and info coming...

Should anyone happen to order this DVD set and for some very strange and bizarre reason not wish to hold onto their purchase for the longterm, please send me a PM immediately.

I would defintiely purchase a good but "used" copy of this sepcial set in a "snap".

Otherwise, I am still planning to purchase this item, NEW, in the very near future.

Many thanks.

Jonathan
Jonathan
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2076 Posts

Profile of jlevey
I have ordered my Potassy DVD set from a member that viewed it once and was kind enough to let it go at a very reasonable price.

Can't wait to see Paul Potassy in action!

Jonathan
Jonathan
fbnc
View Profile
Loyal user
Memphis
227 Posts

Profile of fbnc
You won't be disappointed !!
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
I have just finished watching my copy of "The Magic of Paul Potassy" and I am overwhelmed. I can't remember enjoying a video series as much as this!

There is just one word for this set - INSPIRATIONAL. Regardless of what type of magic you do, Paul Potassy will show you what being a "master" is all about. His performance is about as professional as I have ever witnessed and is what we should all aspire to. From the moment he begins, you know you are witnessing a legend.

Max's interview of Mr. Potassy is exceptional and getting to know the man is every bit as entertaining as his magic. Paul's enthusiasm over his life's accomplishments is contagious.

I plan to watch this set over and over again. It would do any performer well to always watch the first show on video one just before leaving for one of their own performances. I can't think of anything that would put you in a better frame of mind.

Get this one, please, and see what magic can be!

Richard
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
For those of you who haven't yet seen these as of yet, be certain to grab your set as soon as you are able.

It's a wonderful series unlike anything you have seen for the most part. You will find some highly polished commercial material in here that works either as close-up, cabaret, or stage work!

Phil Goldstein does a wonderful job interviewing Mr. Potassey!

http://www.hanklee.org/xcart/product.php?productid=8629

Thanks for the recommendation Mr. Richard!
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4541 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
For bringing this up again. I have my sights set on this!
mike donoghue
View Profile
Inner circle
1299 Posts

Profile of mike donoghue
Paul Potassy is fantastic.

What a performer, what an entertainer. He is an absolute master of magic.A skillfull, classy and likeable performer who we could all do well to study.

The "tricks" (or in his hands masterpieces) are great but PAUL POTASSY IS THE TRUE MAGIC.

I tried to get Paul to the South Tyneside Convention a few years ago( or should I say I begged my good friend Martin Duffy to get him) but alas is never happend.

Paul Potassy was very kind and sent me some autographed photos and a signed copy of his DVD which I will treasure for ever.

They don't make performers like Paul Potassy anymore he is a one off and I will always remember seeing him many years ago on British tv and being totally mesmerised. Very few performers created that feeling that when you saw them work you thought wow if only I could be like that.Potassy, Berglas, Harry Blackstone Jnr are the names that left a mark on me.

Mike Donoghue Mega Paul Potassy fan
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
Couldn't agree more.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » L & L's newly released Paul Potassy DVD. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL