The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How much to practice (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On 2007-01-11 16:59, Richard71 wrote:
I use a rather holistic aproach to practice- practice as long as you enjoy it....if you stop enjoying it, have a rest. Don't forget the reason we all got into magic, because it's fun. If it stops being fun, it's just like any other day job! Or am I wrong?

Rich

You are right!!! Magic should be FUN. Smile Smile

I like practicing till I can fool myself and that takes awhile. Smile
Tempesta
View Profile
Elite user
USA
404 Posts

Profile of Tempesta
I practice so much, I lose track of time so I never know what day it is.

And no joke, if I want to ACTUALY shuffle a deck of cards, I have to think about it, otherwise, I'll false shuffle as if I'm normally shuffling. Very frustrating.

I literally do sleight of hand with random objects without thinking about it.

I say, practice until it becomes second nature. When you do it, and you didn't mean to, you're ready to go.

||sean ||
//Sean Beard
ChristianR
View Profile
Veteran user
356 Posts

Profile of ChristianR
Quote:
On 2007-01-11 14:17, scottthegreat wrote:
Whats the best way to get motovated about learning.

Scott

I havn't read to the bottom yet, but I think the best way to get motivated is to practice what you love! Find the right genre of magic, just like books that are fun to read (Secret Life of Houdini) and those that are not.
Tarbell!
Michael Taggert
View Profile
Special user
Fredericksburg Virginia
656 Posts

Profile of Michael Taggert
Practice can be a journey. to perfect one's magic starts small yes learn a few of the self working takes little prectice magic that's out there then add a pewrsonal challege to your practice and work for it. as with all bits of hard work reward yourself along the way with performances of what is ready to be seen by an auidence. anly you will know when you have reached a goal. setiing that goal is up to you. For instance I know that Geoff has been working Veru hard o a his new show That prmeired in the DC area just before the Holidays his new show is amazing and has taken him to a new level in performance. I personally have been on a two year journey to perfect a new rotuine of one of my illusions. and Im almost there. will you see it in someone living room no but I also am begining work on a new Parlour rotuine. after 20 years in the business The prectice never stops. it just takes on new form. Think of prctice like an onion each step is a new layer.
Mike McErlain
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto & Green Cove Springs, FL
130 Posts

Profile of Mike McErlain
As a relative newbie to magic (5 years); I admit I underestimated the time and dedication required to acheive a good skill level.
Two of the best pieces of advice I've ever got:
Michael Close: "don't perform a trick until you can do it well. The lay person will judge the magic industry by the last trick they saw."
David Ben: "when learning sleights, expect to repeat a move over 700 times before you acheive muscle memory. Just like a person learning a new sport."
With that, my work is cut out for me!
Gary Richards
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of Gary Richards
Ah, "practice." There isn't anything else. It's all "practice." Ask even the finest neurosurgeon. We can only hope and trust that the "practitioners" of any Art will maintain a finely focused concentration on even the smallest, and seemingly most insignificant detail that goes into the "practice" of their craft and Art. So much hangs in the balance.
The important thing, in my estimation, is to remember to pull down the shingle when the joy is gone from the practice. Have mercy on yourself. Those you "practice" on will be eternally grateful. Good luck to you.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Gary,

Many professions use the term "practice" but not the same way a magician or other entertainers and artists would. To physicians, CPAs and lawyers the "practice" is a business entity. It is far from perfecting the act.

The standard in medical education is watch one, do one, and teach one. You're done! So much for "practice".

To an artist, practice is repeating the activity over and over. Unfortunately some magicians' acts should be called a "practice" due to the lack of practice! LOL

Enjoy!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
WoodRat
View Profile
Loyal user
California
233 Posts

Profile of WoodRat
I practice all the time. Sometimes I just keep repeating a move to make it second nature so that when I add it into a routine I don't struggle with it. A slight variation is practing a sequence of moves, especially getting into and out of the move I'm working on.

Sometimes I just work through the moves while thinking through my patter. Imagining audience reactions and how I might handle them. Double-checking the story to see if it still feels good enough to tell. Often I'll check the timing of the patter in my mind to see if it makes strong sense in terms of the effect I am trying to create.

Sometimes I just practice creating a new story for something I already do, just to keep it fresh. I think all this stuff is practice. I spend a lot of time on the train/bus

Cheers =D
Learn something new everyday.
sBosma
View Profile
New user
BC Canada
57 Posts

Profile of sBosma
I practice around 2 hours a day. I learn a trick, practice it untill I can do it natrually, then I learn another trick or routine. After awhile to remember the ones I've learned before is to just go through all the tricks you know and practice them once.
'Pick a card, any card'
Keith Mitchell
View Profile
Special user
799 Posts

Profile of Keith Mitchell
When I started doing the coin roll on my knuckles for the first time, I could not do it at all. It took months for me to be able to do it without dropping the coin. I don't know why I kept practicing, but I guess it's one of those things that I wanted to do so I kept at it. Using different coins and poker chips has helped keep me motivated. The dime was the hardest since it is so small and light, the half dollar was the heaviest, and the poker chip the biggest and smoothest. All these choices gave me an excuse to practice. Always carried something in my pocket just in case I wanted to practice. Even when walking the dog I would practice, and this was a challenge while walking and the dog pulling on the leash. Got better all the time, but still took a lot of practice. Performing the coin roll in front of a spectator was even harder, but I kept on practicing.

I try not to think of practice as punishment, but something that helps pass the time. Practicing can be very relaxing for me.

Now I am practicing throwing a spinning card up into the air and then catching it. I wonder if I could do this while walking the dog (I doubt it)?

My thoughts.
Keith
Mark Wilden
View Profile
Veteran user
San Francisco
375 Posts

Profile of Mark Wilden
I do my boomerang practice while listening to the Go Magic Go! podcast.

You're going to find it way easier than the coin roll!

///ark
ibm_usa
View Profile
Special user
In Your Mind, Ky, USA
722 Posts

Profile of ibm_usa
Quote:
On 2007-01-11 14:17, scottthegreat wrote:
Im new to magic. I was wondering how much should I practice.

If you have a lot of time in your day, spend 2 hours every day. If you don't have 24 hours to commit to, do what I do, practice a trick in the mirror and infront of a trusted friend. you should practice until it looks natural and you can do it without thinking twice. practice at least ten times before the day of your show. practicing should not be a chore but a past time. if your busy a lot, just practice what you can. IF you practice to the point where you are fooled yourself, then it shouldn't be a problem for you to show it to somoene else.
"You may think that i only talk of things from the past, you know, history, well magic is history"

-Guy Jarrett

"Curiosity isn't a sin Harry, but it should be exorcised with great caution."

-Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire)
http://www.jordanallen-mentalist.webs.com/
mark1991
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, Lincolnshire, England
311 Posts

Profile of mark1991
Hi there,

I like to practice whenever I can, even if that's just ten or fifteen minutes whilst watching telly or in the car. However, if you carry a deck of cards, some coins, or whatever with you wherever you go, you will be surprised how much time you eventually spend practicing just during your spare time!

Hope this helps!

Many thanks

Magical Mark Watson
(mark1991)
http://magicnewstelevision.com/mn/magicalmark

Magical Mark Watson - Christian magician, juggler, puppeteer, all-round entertainer and lover of Christ!
Gerald
View Profile
Veteran user
Arkansas
325 Posts

Profile of Gerald
Andy the Cardician,
Thank you for recommending my book, Andy. I appreciate your interest in the practice method.

Thanks again!
Gerald
Shufton
View Profile
Veteran user
California
316 Posts

Profile of Shufton
The reason to practice and rehearse, is to perfect the performance of an effect! Then, maintenance practice is required. You need to be well rehearsed in the effects you perform. I would take them one at a time.

I love to practice!

-Steve
Fobulous, Emergency Cash, 3D Paradox, PS-I Love You, X-Ray, The Portal, Ultimate Floating Match, Miracle Premonition... and more!
http://www.shufton.com
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
The best way to be motivated is to embrace the experience of how much you like performing and to enjoy the reactions of your audience. Another way to be motivated is to enjoy learning something (or the process of learning) something.

Most performers are not inspired by big checks but by a need to connect with an audience or improve their abilitys.

Basically, being motivated has nothing to do with being a magician AND being a magician has nothing to do with being motived BUT if you find that being a magician is rewarding because it makes you happy, that should be your motivation.

Within the art, there are different reasons why we are motivated to act a certain way or in what order you deside to present a show but that type of motivation is different from having the desire to share your talents or improve your skills.

Try performing for a friend and if you get a "kick" from their reaction, that should motivate you.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How much to practice (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL