The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » How was your first performance of cups and balls? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
The first time was when I was a kid and did magic shows in my neighbors garage. I charged 5 cents a ticket. My cups and ball consisted 3 paper cups. The balls were made of cotton with an adhesive tape around it. In those days I never even heard of a magic shop. (I was probably 9 or 10 years old). I made my own props to do tricks that I read about in books. The first magic shop I ever heard about was Al Flosso's, but I didn't get there until I was about 13.
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
I owned a Morrissey Combo Set when I was about 10 years old. At that time, I also found a copy of the Mendoza Routine (a little treasure that I still have today). Although I could perform all of the requisite moves for the routine, the final loads scared the daylights out of me. As a result, the cups and balls continued to be nothing more than a practice exercise for me during the several years that followed.

During that time, however, I continued to develop my skills and acquired a fair amount of performing experience. I read everything I could get my hands on dealing with showmanship and misdirection. As a result, my skills in developing patter, rhythm and misdirection began to evolve and mature. Eventually, I came back to the cups and balls and found myslef realizing that the final loads really weren't that difficult.

That's when I picked up the cups and balls again and started performing the full Mendoza routine. I must have been about 14 at this time. I remember performing the routine in front of as many friends and family members as could tolerate me. When I had it down cold, I incorporated it into my show (I was performing paid gigs by this time). I don't remember the exact show but I do know it went very well.

Ever since then, I've been completely enamoured with the effect. Although I no longer perform the Mendoza Routine, I do continue to perform the cups and balls, with a personalized routine that I'm proud to call my own.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Eddie Torres
View Profile
Special user
New York City
692 Posts

Profile of Eddie Torres
I don't remember the first time I performed the C&B, but I do remember the first time I performed it with any type of sleights. I was performing at a cabaret and I dropped the ball like 4 times, letting it roll off the table. At one point I couldn't even find the ball when it rolled off for a few seconds. I also sped the routine up so fast that it took me less than a minute to get through, before the final lemon loads. I sucked pretty bad.
Eddie Ivan Torres
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
The first I remember, other than probably driving my parents nuts watching it was before "uncle harry". Dad and mom went on a trip to california and dad took me with him to visit this relative (actually grandfather's cousin) whom he called "uncle harry". I was never without my trusty Mark Wilson magic kit and its cups and balls was my favorite trick. Took it with me to Uncle harry's. I remember him asking me what I had and told him it was my "magic" which he asked to see. I did my routine. I have no doubt it was the worst routine he ever saw in his life, but he patted me on the back , told me I did good, encouraged me to keep practicing and learning. He made a bird cage disappear from between my hands (first magician I ever saw outside of Mark Wilson who was still in pre magicland of alakazam days) and one other trick with a ball. I remember repaying him for this delightful demonstration by telling him he needed to study magic from Mark Wilson and get a Mark Wilson magic kit if he really wanted to learn. My dad recalls he chuckled and said "Yes, I've heard good things about young Mark Wilson"
Was a couple of years that I realized that "Uncle Harry" was Harry Blackstone,Sr. the premier magician of the day. Well if ur going to mess up you might as well do it in front of a relative who will be encouraging.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
For years the only routine I knew of was the basic one ball thru the top of the cups three times in a row ending with the suprise revelation of a mysterious fourth ball...lame, which is why I hardly ever did it with those cheap multi colored plastic cups.

I then got me a set of combo cups from Canada, came up with what I thought was a decent routine, boy was I wrong, I then went on public t.v. and performed my routine, I dropped balls, cups, my hands shook, I sped up the routine...

It was just an appalling attempt at a classic of magic and I butchered it horribly and it was on live t.v.! Argh!!!

So I swore off the cups for several more years and then one day I was an addict and could not put them down...for about six months straight. I practiced absolutly nothing else.

johnny

http://www.myspace.com/chris_robertson
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » How was your first performance of cups and balls? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL