The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Puzzle me this... » » Power problems (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Nir Dahan
View Profile
Inner circle
Munich, Germany
1390 Posts

Profile of Nir Dahan
1) you got a 10x10x10 cube made up of 1x1x1 white cubes. Someone comes and paints the outer side of the big cube with black paint. All the cubes with a black side fall to the ground. How many are left?

2) you have a 20x20 chess like board. Imagine the x and y axis as its sides.
on 1,1 there is 1 cube.
on 1,2 and 2,1 there are (on each) stacked 2 cubes
on 1,3 2,2 and 3,1 there are (on each ) stacked 3 cubes
in general: on coordinate x,y you got stacked x+y-1 cubes

How many cubes on total are on the 20x20 board?

--------------
Try finding an elegant solution for both problems, not just counting. you will need all your "powers" for this...

Nir
Steve Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1119 Posts

Profile of Steve Martin
2) For a square with side n, the total number of cubes is n x (sum of cubes on the x=y diagonal). The sum of the cubes on the x=y diagonal is the sum of the odd numbers from 1 to 2n-1. When n is even, that sum is n^2. Therefore, on a 20x20 board there would be 20^3 cubes.
Any man who reads too much and uses his own brain too little falls into lazy habits of thinking.
Albert Einstein
Nir Dahan
View Profile
Inner circle
Munich, Germany
1390 Posts

Profile of Nir Dahan
Steve - the answer is correct, but could you find a way without calculating the sum of the diagonal?

The answer I am looking for is technically the same, but just a different prespective on the problem.
Steve Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1119 Posts

Profile of Steve Martin
1) The answer is 8^3. In general, it is (n-2)^3 (for any n).

2) The answer is 20^3. In general it is n^3 (providing n is even).

I arrived at my answer to 2) by noting that the total number of cubes is 20 x (sum from 1 to 20) + 20 x (sum from 0 to 19), which is equivalent to 20 x (sum of odd numbers from 1 to 39).

The sum of odd numbers from 1 to 39 is in fact 20^2. Hence total = 20^3
Any man who reads too much and uses his own brain too little falls into lazy habits of thinking.
Albert Einstein
Nir Dahan
View Profile
Inner circle
Munich, Germany
1390 Posts

Profile of Nir Dahan
I guess I am being a bit petty. What I meant was that in question 2 - if you "fold" everything above the 20 cube height over the long diagonal - you will get a perfect 20x20x20x cube.

For answer 1 - you are perfectly correct. You will be surprised how many people try to count the cubes falling on the floor, especially if you ask how many there are on the floor and not how many are left... (maybe I should have asked that instead...)

nir
drkptrs1975
View Profile
Elite user
North Eastern PA
452 Posts

Profile of drkptrs1975
I am not sure what you are asking.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Puzzle me this... » » Power problems (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL