The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Jason Randall on Letterman (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4541 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Anyone see this last night? I've seen Jason a couple times on Letterman before. I find it hilarious when he's trying to grab a double lift, he counts the back of the cards with his thumb in broad daylight along with his pinky breaks are gInoRmous!He preformed the tricks well. Just wow lol his double lifts. I mean, he's a professional isn't he?
magic123454321
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of magic123454321
I noticed it too but it's just cause we're looking for it and even if we do see it we know what it is. His prediction change trick seemed to do the best even though it was so simple. Simple hits hard!
taller8
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, Washington
1087 Posts

Profile of taller8
What was the upside down force he used? The jack of clubs or the jack of spades were the cards. He did have to fish a bit, but that was a neat force.
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4207 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
I thought Mr. Randall was great!
I also appreciated the Letterman crew for shooting the performance properly and with respect. I was transported back to seeing magic on Carson's Tonight Show.

I was really thrilled for him!
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
3341 Posts

Profile of tophatter
Yeh as soon as I saw the Jokers I said NFW great effect for Tv he did a nice Job . The audience really liked the cups with the water keeping it simple will always fool em .
Adam Hince
View Profile
Special user
Pittsburgh, PA
509 Posts

Profile of Adam Hince
I was less than impressed with his most recent appearance. I've caught others and thought they were ok, but there were moments during this one that made me shudder. Like the double lift count that was mentioned and when he openly transposed the top and 2nd from the top card prior to the double in the "fishing" card trick.

Also, the whole performance lacked flow and seemed totally unscripted. Eek. While I've never performed on national television, I'd like to think that I would script the performace beforehand.

Adam
cfrye
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon, USA
940 Posts

Profile of cfrye
You can't totally script a performance with Letterman...you never know when he's going to break in. While Jason lost his way at the start, I think he recovered.

As for the breaks and counting, I think the possibility of getting a trick wrong because he lost a break or missed a DL was more of a concern than getting caught by non-experts.

On one of his bar magic DVDs, Doc Eason showed the break he took for his twenty card routine...he might as well have put a wood-splitting wedge in there. Smile

Curt
Magicjg
View Profile
Elite user
477 Posts

Profile of Magicjg
Poor material for a show like that. I thought it was really bad
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
I didn't see it. But a woman at worked asked me if I had seen it. I said "no, was it any good?" She said that she and her husband really enjoyed it, and were definitely fooled.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Adam Hince
View Profile
Special user
Pittsburgh, PA
509 Posts

Profile of Adam Hince
I think there was a misunderstanding in my post. By saying that his performance was "totally unscripted" meant that he didn't appear to have a script during any part of the appearance. That is different than saying "talk show appearances should be totally scripted", which I did not say.

As for the mention of Doc Eason, I agree. There's nothing wrong with a large pinkie break so you don't lose your place during a multiple selection routine. But c'mon, a professional should be able to do a strike double.

Jason Randall seems like a likeable guy. But I stand by my initial analysis that the presentations were sorely lacking. When you get to the level of performing on late night talk shows, your presentational skills, as well as technical skills, really should be above par.

Adam
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2007-01-19 16:25, Adam Hince wrote:
But c'mon, a professional should be able to do a strike double.

Vernon never used a strike dbl. Of course some will say Vernon wasn't a real worker.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Adam Hince
View Profile
Special user
Pittsburgh, PA
509 Posts

Profile of Adam Hince
Neither was Slydini.

Kidding aside. Slydini and Vernon were masters of misdirection but were known for performing for magicians.

Adam
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
Our southern border could use
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
Quote:
On 2007-01-17 03:07, Eddie Garland wrote:
I thought Mr. Randall was great!
I also appreciated the Letterman crew for shooting the performance properly and with respect. I was transported back to seeing magic on Carson's Tonight Show.

I was really thrilled for him!

It must have been a rare night indeed. I’ve never seen Letterman show anyone respect like Carson did.

Letterman usually make me think of the kid in the audience that telling everybody “It went up his sleeve. It did , it did”!
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
Adam Hince
View Profile
Special user
Pittsburgh, PA
509 Posts

Profile of Adam Hince
For some reason, Letterman is always a gracious host to Jason Randall. Is it just me or didn't David Letterman used to HATE magicians?

Methinks Randall may be a personal friend of Letterman. I mean, this has got to be at least the 3rd time he's been on the show.

I know Amy Sedaris is Dave's "goto" guest when he has a spot to fill. The night Randall was on, Sedaris was the first guest. It was also the night of the Golden Globes. Any merit to this theory? Who knows.

Adam

Adam
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Dunno 'bout that, but Penn & Teller sure did bug him...

>snicker<
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Jason Randall on Letterman (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL