The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Habu introduction, howdy from Alabam (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Habu
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas / Alabama
393 Posts

Profile of Habu
Hello everyone!

I have separated my introduction into parts noted by dashed lines for those who wish to skip over what will probably be a little lengthy introduction…

First is how I came to become involved with magic, then how I ‘left’ the business, and finally why I am returning.

Next are my plans on how to come back and a query or two on advice on breaking back in on today’s ‘market’, good name or not, etc.

I am including a photo from my very first professional stage gig. It was for the introduction of the McRibb® at McDonald’s ® in about 1982.

------------Introduction, beginning -------------
My name is Rick Jackson. I am turning 50 this year. My initial interest in magic like most was probably in my very early years, but it began in earnest in the summer before my senior year at high school.

My family moved from one small town in Texas down the road about 50 miles to another slightly larger town in Texas that was home to the local University so that my brother and I could attend college without having to leave home… (Mothers sheesh!). We moved next door to an elderly lady of about 82 years of age. Her Husband was 96 (in 1975). I began doing chores for these folks and became quite fond of them. I painted their home for them which was very much in need of paint, and the old fella decided to share some of his life story with me. (That would be a very long and interesting post that I will spare you.) But the points of interest was that he was an artist doing murals in New York City in the 1920’s so he showed me some of the work he had done in the latter years. They were beautiful…except no one had a face. His eyes had gotten so bad that he could not paint in the faces. Since I was an artist of some caliber I painted them in for him. He was very happy for these paintings to be completed before he passed on and so introduced me to his other profession from the 20’s and 30’s.

He took me to the garage and gave me several large beat up card board boxes filled with you guessed it. MAGIC. He had been a vaudevillian stage performer specializing in Illusion and Stage Magic predominately rope tricks, but included the standard Squared Circle, milk pitcher, vanishing canes, clocks, etc. His prize was a 6 foot French Guillotine. Unfortunately his Doll House, levitation and suspensions had long since “vanished.” There were over a hundred magic effects plus scores of books (video and DVD did not yet exist so I had to actually READ how to do magic tricks!) Some tricks were well packaged with instructions while others were just a gimmick. He had little recollection of how to do many of the effects so we sat for hours trying to figure some of these out. I spent countless hours learning how to use this stuff and frankly some of it I never figured out the purpose of. Then I also had to figure out what patter would work, and since that is a major part of some effects, never did learn how to incorporate it into an act.

So that is how I was introduced to REAL magic. It was handed to me on a silver (beat up cardboard) platter.

Throughout High School I became well known as the kid who could escape from real police handcuffs…even did it for a real cop on the street once at his request (a shinning moment for an 18 year old boy)

I did not go to college at this time; instead I went into the Air Force because I wanted to get married. During my time in the Air Force I increased my magic inventory and worked on manipulation skills etc, showing off to friends with back yard shows etc but never did any real work. It was after the Air Force when I went back to college that it began to take off. I started doing magic shows for children’s parties via a local party supply shop. I then began to do stage shows for business promotional events, fund raisers for schools and benefit shows for senior citizens centers etc. I joined SAM during this time.

--------------How it ended------------------

I received a commission in the US Army and upon graduation I went into the Army as an Infantry Officer. For a while I continued to do little shows here and there but the true effort was held back by military duties…then it happened. There was a fire and I lost every bit of magic apparatus I owned. I could have begun to rebuild it right away but it was a devastating event loosing our home and everything we owned except for a few photo albums the firemen saved for us. That was effectively the end of magic for me for many years.

-------------The return----------------------

I have been out of the army for a number of years now and recently began to substitute teach in my local schools. Teaching allows me to be at home during the times my children are out of school. I found that I really enjoyed working with children again and don’t know why I didn’t do it sooner. I began doing magic for the kids to aid me in being able to control them with rewards. In discussing what I do at school with my 14 year old daughter we began to discuss magic. I talked to her for hours one night and she finally said why don’t you start doing magic again, and it clicked.

So that is how I have chosen to return to magic. I am setting up a workshop to recreate all the effects I can. I went online to the many internet magic supply vendors and was amazed at how much it would cost to buy even a part of what I once owned. I know you are paying not just for the gimmick but for the patter and secret to the illusion or trick. But when I can build a $30 or $300 item for $5 for items I already know the secret too, I decided it was wiser to invest in some power tools, lol. I of course will try to establish a good relationship with a local magic supply store if I can find one in my area and support them the best I can.
-----------------My current plans and questions-----------

I am going to spend some time rebuilding an illusion inventory. During that time I will seek out a SAM or IBM chapters either in Huntsville AL or Birmingham AL (I live smack dab in the middle of the two). Once I have practiced up enough and have built some routines and shows around my effects I will start doing children’s parties again and eventually start doing some stage work for school PTA fund raisers etc.

I have a few questions, one is my name. I used to go by just my real name. During my time in the Air Force I worked on the SR-71 Blackbird which is nicknamed Habu. From that I associated myself with that name and have used it for years as a screen name. I was considering using it for a stage name as well. Didn’t know if any of you had any advice on using stage names versus your real name now-a-days.

I also have to figure out what style of magic presentation I wish to perform. How are audiences reacting to magicians these days. Does the mysterious/serious magician play well or is that considered ho-hum by the crowds? For children I will just be myself, but for stage performances I am still searching for what will go over.

Anyway, that is who I am, where I came from and where I am going.

I will be reading all I can on the forums and look forward to “meeting” as many of you as I can and learning of your experiences and gleaning what I can from your advice.

I look forward to "meeting" everyone I can,
Sincerely, Rick Jackson

Click here to view attached image.
www.magicbyhabu.com
Habu: Taken from SR-71 spy plane I worked on. It's name came from a poisonous snake on Okinawa. Hope my magic isn't poisonous!
Maro Anglero
View Profile
Loyal user
FLORIDA
248 Posts

Profile of Maro Anglero
Welcome to the Magic Café Rick Jackson, Nice to have you here.
For the Magician: The hard must become habit, The habit must become easy, The easy must become Beautiful

Doug Henning
MagiCanada
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver
140 Posts

Profile of MagiCanada
Welcome to the Café!
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Welcome to the Café Rick - great to see you around.
Cards never lie
Jeff_Mash
View Profile
Veteran user
Bay Area, California
328 Posts

Profile of Jeff_Mash
Welcome to the Café!
Your friend in magic,

Jeff Mash, CEO
MJM Magic - "Magic for Magicians, Jokesters, and Mentalists!"
http://www.MJMMagic.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Hello Rick,

Welcome Aboard! (Some of us were U.S. Navy.)

Come join us at Ring 35 in Birmingham. We meet the first Tuesday of each month in Homewood at the library. We are called the Magic City Magic Club and SAM members are there too.

For a quick start in magic in this area, you might want to attend Winter Carnival in Tennessee coming up quickly.

Fortunately 50 is not too young to become active here on The Café. We look foward to hearing from you often.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- Some of us can even ride horses! Lucy and I have a rehearsal studio/theater at the ranch. Come shoot your DVD here.
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
mark1991
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, Lincolnshire, England
311 Posts

Profile of mark1991
Hi there,

Welcome to the Magic Café!

Hope to see you around!

Many thanks

Magical Mark Watson
(mark1991)
http://magicnewstelevision.com/mn/magicalmark

Magical Mark Watson - Christian magician, juggler, puppeteer, all-round entertainer and lover of Christ!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Habu introduction, howdy from Alabam (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL