The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Video taping your practice sessions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

myname1960
View Profile
Regular user
Chris from Ohio
111 Posts

Profile of myname1960
Has anyone else ever video taped themselves practicing a routine?
I have heard of using a mirror but you have to concentrate more at looking at the mirror then what you are actually doing.
I wanted to see what I wouldn't have seen if I had used a mirror.
I practiced one of my tricks and had myself taped from the front, then the right side and finally the left side.
What a difference it makes as to where you are being watched.
I think I will be doing that trick in a very low light situation, Lol.
Give it a shot if you haven't done it. You may be suprised as to what you see Smile

Chris
Mr A
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Mr A
Don't forget you can use your camera hooked up to your tv as a monitor. This also helps you get different veiws .
jcards01
View Profile
Inner circle
Waterloo, IL
1438 Posts

Profile of jcards01
Video is good because you can actually perform to the camera and see overall how everything looks. Initially, a mirror is not bad also. A friend made one for me that is a tri-fold mirror. Looking at the mirror is not all bad because in certain instances you should not be looking at your own hands. The mirror affords you the opportunity to execute and see what someone else would see.

Jim Molinari
Jimmy 'Cards' Molinari
www.jimmycards.com
secondbaseman
View Profile
Loyal user
Amsterdam
225 Posts

Profile of secondbaseman
I don't like the mirror that much. For example, when doing a pass in front of the mirror, you will always see it, but when you do it in front of the camera, you won't, because the camera is at the same eye level as your specs. I have practiced my pass for six months in front of the mirror and I thought, "When will it be better?" After the 6 months I thought, "What the heck?" and I did it in front of my mom and dad. They didn't see it. I did it 10 times and they didn't see but when standing in front of the mirror I still see it.

So I prefer camera.

niels
mcatalani
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of mcatalani
Both the mirror and video camera work hand in hand. Videotaping is good, but you'll have to spend some time setting up, recording, playing back, etc. A very good tool, but I always keep a mirror nearby, as I can instantly tell if I have an angle or handling problem. The mirrors are a lot more handy when traveling, and I keep one in my PC bag with a few sets of cards at all times. I occasionally find time at work to practice some moves, and I have everything I need with me. (I also keep a dvd or two in there as well. You never know when your going to be stuck on the interstate at a dead stop for half an hour or so. A good time to work on Daryls super duper cut!)

Michael
Dan Farmer
View Profile
Loyal user
Northern Nevada
235 Posts

Profile of Dan Farmer
I've been recording my practice sessions very nearly since I started. One thing that is kind of cool, I've only shown my closest friends (and I stand guard at the Fast forward button for when I blow it) but I would show them sort of a montage and you could see at the beginning what a klutz I was and then get smoother and smoother and then all of a sudden it's like you're watching a sanely dressed Jeff McBride (yes that was a joke.)

-Dan
khuber
View Profile
Regular user
SLC Utah
125 Posts

Profile of khuber
The first show I ever did was my own family christmas party and we always video those.
When it was done and I reviewed it I saw several mistakes that I didn't even know I made. Now I tape all that I can because it does help. Smile
Hernan
View Profile
Regular user
San Francisco
126 Posts

Profile of Hernan
I use both video tape and mirror.

The camera can be as forgiving as an audience.
myname1960
View Profile
Regular user
Chris from Ohio
111 Posts

Profile of myname1960
"all of a sudden it's like you're watching a sanely dressed Jeff McBride (yes that was a joke.)"

More like an episode of magic bloopers for me right now, lol

Smile

Never really thought of the long term benefit of taping. Was just doing it for the moment. Something to think about.
Is there an easy way of forgeting the camera is there? I think it would look more natural if i didn't try to impress the camera. Maybe the more I do it the easier it will get.

Chris
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
I have found that human nature, being what it is, causes you to blink at just the wrong time. Working with a mirror is good, but if you blink just when you're doing a move or making a steal etc, you may miss something and think you are fine. The camera doesn't blink and sees exactly what the audience sees. When I tape my stage act (at least once a week)I tape from the front, and both sides. I'm fortunate enough to have several cameras and just have them set up all the time in my practice area. This may sound like overkill but this past year, do to an illness, I was unable to fully practice or perform my act for 7 months. When I did start again, it was amazing how many angles I had forgotten about. I also had forgotten some moves I had made to enhance the performance. The video tapes were extremely valuable to refresh my memory. Sometimes I just watch the older versions of the act when I'm in a mood be comically entertained. Just how many times can you drop a silk before you realize it's not the day to practice. Smile The camera and the mirror both have their place but using them together is a winning combination.
Where the magic begins
Angus
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Angus
The first thing I saw once I started taping myself practicing was to take a closer look at the lighting that was around me. It was amazing how much the "audience" could see going on behind the scenes by looking at the shadows.

-A
Jim Davis
View Profile
Special user
What is....? Utah
945 Posts

Profile of Jim Davis
Video is the mirrors greatest enemy. Videos greatest enemy is ourselves. Both have strength and weaknesses.

In the mirror you have to look up at the mirror to see what's going on, it get's you away from staring at your hands.

The video allows us to be more focus oriented on the task or sleight at hand.

The mirror only allows us to focus on one aspect of the performance.

The video can be replayed over and over to get the whole picture.

Basically they both go hand in hand. Use them both as tools, and for it's worth tape practice sessions and performances. Both are valuable if you are serious about improvement.
Diamond Jim Davis "The Cardslinger" ~~~ Magic from the '80's....................the 1880's!
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>Don't just be a magician, be a human interest!
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>[url]www.periodplayers.com[/ur
Dan Farmer
View Profile
Loyal user
Northern Nevada
235 Posts

Profile of Dan Farmer
Oh yeah, Jim's post reminded me of something. When I first started recording myself I hooked the camera through the VCR into the TV so I had a monitor right behind and to the right of the camera. Well it seems ok at first but after awhile it gets really unnerving watching a magician doing his routine just staring intently over your right shoulder the whole time.

I found that practicing without a monitor on was more useful because I would actually make "eye contact" with the camera and I had to learn how to judge angles instead of just fiddling on TV until I couldn't see anything - unfortunately staring at your spectators forehead will not allow you to see what they are seeing Smile

-Dan
Torkova
View Profile
Regular user
Astoria, NY
192 Posts

Profile of Torkova
Mirrors are good to initially check moves and angles. If you can video tape on a regular basis you can be way ahead of the game. I also agree you should not use a monitor and instead learn to play to the camera. This will come in handy in case you get on television.

Also, a disadvantage to a mirror is that unless you have a very large one, you will tend to rehearse your moves within the limits of it. You will find yourself not moving your hands and arms in larger gestures so as to keep within the mirror's confines. You can tell a performer who uses a small mirror too much to rehearse as his/her arms are always close to their bodies and look cramped.

So by all means, use a video camera as much as possible. It is a tremendous advantage.
slipperyice1507
View Profile
New user
Fort Wayne, IN
3 Posts

Profile of slipperyice1507
I am looking into video taping myself. I have found I like to perform in front of an actual person who you can trust though. (my mom, I am 13 years old). Although sometimes I beg her to tell me the truth.
-Nick- Smile
MyTurnPlzAA
View Profile
Loyal user
NC
288 Posts

Profile of MyTurnPlzAA
I found this very helpful, I do card effects on my webcam.

The quality is a bit dodgy but my magi friends can then see what it looks like and then they can give me advice..

Its a good way to practice.

Go for it.

100 posts

Regards

James
KJ
View Profile
New user
Louisville, KY
97 Posts

Profile of KJ
Video taping allows you to go over your performance and work out the errors. It also let's you know how your patter sounds with your moves and allows you to put the right patter in the right time and place!

-KJ
Danno
View Profile
New user
Boston
94 Posts

Profile of Danno
At the risk of sounding conceited, I found that by videotaping my practice sessions it showed me how good I was.
Let me explain.
I tend to be pretty tough on my self.
As an example, I always thought that my retention vanish looked lousy. I videotaped myself doing it, and realized that it looked pretty darn good! As did a few other tricks that I didn't feel were up to snuff.
So, while a camera is a good tool for spotting mistakes, it's also a great tool to show you what looks good, and boost your confidence. Smile
bilz
View Profile
New user
Cornwall, UK
88 Posts

Profile of bilz
If you don't fancy the hassle of setting up a tripod and camera etc. for a practice - try a web cam. I have one setup on my desk and often do a quick capture of something I'm working on. Not a good quality as a video camera but it's quick and gives you an idea!

Bilz
Learn as if you would live forever...
...live as if you would die tomorrow.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Video taping your practice sessions (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL