The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Would someone please review James Brown - Still Fancy a Pot of Jam (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

malcolm
View Profile
New user
currently Calgary, Canada
62 Posts

Profile of malcolm
I've seen the long pre-release thread plus a few 'boy what a good DVD' posts about this DVD but nothing that comprehensively reviews the whole thing. Would someone mind doing this as I'm curious?

Thanks!
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4464 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
Ok, I've been working on this review for a couple days now, so here we go:

This DVD gets my vote for DVD of 2006. It is shot in the real world, at James's gigs. This is how all DVDs need to be shot in future! Rather than in front of an audience like on the L & L DVDs where it is the same people all the time, who have seen more magic than most will in 10 lifetimes!!! You get several performances at different gigs that show how different people react, and ALL get great reactions. So what if it wasn't shot at a big fancy studio with a HUGE production crew. You get to see the routines clearly, and several times, and they are all taught reasonably. To a worker and informed Magicians, this DVD is perfect in teaching. The teaching is covered well so you understand what you need to do and when, but they aren't incredibly detailed so that a beginner will all of a sudden become an incredible Magician. An informed Magician will get the tools to some fantastic magic that give the 'Wow' factor to your audience.

Signed card to Sealed Envelope- This is a great trick done all by the spectator. This is a VERY powerful effect, and you can see in the performance that the person performed to is just in disbelief. He cant believe what has just happened. It reminds me a little of Wayne Dobsons 'Teach a card trick', and this is a routine that I hope people wont over look. So a couple cards are folded in a demonstration of what the spectator has to do, but the effect is one that is worthy to do so. If you perform Torn or a similar effect, you can use the folded card from the signed card in envelope as your set up for your T & R routine.

Psychological Deck vanish- This is GREAT. When you see the performance, you see exactly what is going on, but the spectator doesn't, and you learn James great misdirection to make this work. The reason I like this effect, and actually all James effects, is that they are bold, and I LOVE bold magic! This is a definite for one of those show me a trick effects, as you are left with nothing but the card they chose in between your hands, and there are no more cards to perform with as the deck has vanished.

Card under box- Another great trick. I love card under box effects. Kostya Kimlats and Guy Hollingworth have two of the best I have seen, and I havent seen many to compete with these, but now I have a real contender. This is a fantastically constructed routine, and again is increible bold and I WILL use this for sure!

Card under watch- The effect that floored a room full of Magicians at the Session convention. I was eagerly awaiting seeing this trick again, and then learing it. It is a great utility to add to the end of any card routine, and I just hope many overlook this so I will be one of a few people using this.

Fancy a pot of Jam- Another effect that floored a room full of Magicians at the Session convention. A SUPERB effect that has gone straight into my routine, and I am sure anyone who sees this will automatically, no questions asked, add this to their routine. A MUST see, and a MUST use!

Band Up!- This is a great routine, to which I had seen similar before and been baffled, and I am glad to now know how to do the effect. If you have a deck of cards and a rubber band, I guarantee you will use this. The shock on the spectators face at the end shows how powerful this is.

Diminishing switch- I hoped this wouldn't get shown around too much. Gary Jones I believe was the person who created this effect, though James performs this completely different. Its the ending that I think is Gary's. Gary floored me when he first showed me this, and I have since created my own version which with Gary's permission has been included in my new book that is to be released in a couple months time. That being said, James has done an excellent job of this and it is packed full of magic and surprise. Another effect I hope many will overlook.

Cards opener- THE perfect opener to any card routine. Watching this I was amazed at how much magic is involved, and must say that for those that love to do card routines, this IS the trick to do to start of your routine. Incredible magic that just leaves the spectator amazed and clueless.

Brainless Travellers- I had heard great things about this effect from some top magicians. I couldn't wait to see it and wasn't disappointed. An incredible routine that makes the spectators jaw hit the floor, and the method is simple. Many Magicians will use this from now on as a cards across, and arguable is worth the price of the DVD alone. David Blaine had a similar EFFECT, but the method involved gimmicked cards that couldn't be examined. This version uses borrowed cards and can be done any time, any where.

All in all, though its impossible 12/10. This DVD is sooo good and I am so releaved all the mess was sorted out and it has been finally released. It was well worth the wait and more, and as said before, the price is a steal. If you ever meet James, carry a chair, because you will need one to fall back on!!!

More here, inlcuding this same review¬ http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=111
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3631 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
I agree 100% I use that card opener nearly everyday now, and the diminishing switch is hot!
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Diminishing Switch is my ultimate favorite but recently I've been using the Psychological Deck Vanish a lot and it's coming up to the level of the Diminishing Switch. This is one of those DVD's that for some reason is still more or less an underground thing but shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Let's all keep it that way since everything on the disc is highly usable material and slays lay audiences. The effects are also super fun to perform as much of it is VERY ballsy. Love it!
thastar
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of thastar
I honestly feel that this video is one of the best of 2006. clear concise instructions, creativity and misdirection makes it alsmot perfect. I suggest you cop it.
cosmicsecret
View Profile
Special user
Germany - Mannheim
504 Posts

Profile of cosmicsecret
I couldn´t agree more ,it´s a top card magic dvd.His card opener is a true worker!
I should mention that his art of misdirection is marvelous,i had learned very much from this dvd.
But beware its nothing for the beginners because you have to know the sleights etc,he just goes over them briefly.Thats okay for me but some magicians could have problems to follow up.
matt.magicman
View Profile
Inner circle
Mars
1524 Posts

Profile of matt.magicman
I heard he's got another release coming this year...........??
thastar
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of thastar
I agree this dvd is far more worth the price, it can add an extensive aresanal. great if you like misdirection.
mjb16
View Profile
Loyal user
Ossining, New York
208 Posts

Profile of mjb16
Great Dvd....two words....Band-Up!

Michael
the_monk
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of the_monk
I love this DVD, git it a couple of weeks ago. I think I would vote for best DVD of 2006 as well.
Goku
View Profile
New user
Japan
92 Posts

Profile of Goku
This is a great DVD, but you would have to have some basic card slieghts for some of the effects. I love Card Opender, it's fast and it hits hard.
jeebs9
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of jeebs9
Does anyone think this is worth it 8 years later? I've been watching James Brown stuff on youtube. And I'm really interested in his work. I've been doing card under watch without any instruction. But I'm wonder if the other tricks on this DVD are really good not. Anyone still using this stuff?
Chamberlain
View Profile
Special user
629 Posts

Profile of Chamberlain
Quote:
On Apr 29, 2014, jeebs9 wrote:
Does anyone think this is worth it 8 years later? I've been watching James Brown stuff on youtube. And I'm really interested in his work. I've been doing card under watch without any instruction. But I'm wonder if the other tricks on this DVD are really good not. Anyone still using this stuff?

I know a few guys who still perform his Pot of Jam routine regulary. IMHO get his Professional Opportunist Volume 1 DVD which I feel contains his strongest work.
jeebs9
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of jeebs9
Oh Ok thanks!!
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of puggo
I would recommend you pick up his Dunstable magic club lecture DVD download. not great production but good material & discussion.
http://professional-opportunist.com/lecture-2008-download/
Chappo
View Profile
Special user
Bris Vegas
754 Posts

Profile of Chappo
In my opinion, this was his best DVD. Well worth the investment, if you haven't made your mind up already.
The rules of a sleight of hand artist, Are three, and all others are vain,

The 1st & the 2nd are practice... And the 3rd one is practice again

- 'Magic of the Hands', Edward Victor (1940)
Richtofen
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of Richtofen
Quote:
On Apr 29, 2014, jeebs9 wrote:

it's a joke?
no it doesn t worths it! Every dvd or magic stuff older than 2 months is outdate! Pure garbage
colin72
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of colin72
I think Pot of Jam is great and Professional Opportunist is even better. The tricks aren't out dated if that's what anyone is wondering.

I'm hoping James does a Penguin lecture sometime soon!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Would someone please review James Brown - Still Fancy a Pot of Jam (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL