The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Harry Lorayne at Fantasma!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

snushy
View Profile
Veteran user
338 Posts

Profile of snushy
I had the honor of being Harry Lorayne's permanent spectator at his lecture last Tuesday night at Fantasma. If you were lucky enough to attend, I'm sure you'll agree that it was a tour de force. Harry lectured for about 3 1/2 hours!
Included in the lecture were timeless classics like "The Card Sharp and the Four Gamblers," "Gambler vs. Magician," "The Best Gosh Darn Impromptu Linking Card Effect You'll Ever See" and "The Sting."
There was also an in depth discussion of Harry's "Ultra Move" and a lap/switch of four cards for the four aces that drew gasps. Of course I'm leaving a ton out, but those were just some highlights.
Bottom line is that we all got to spend some quality time with one of magic's true living legends. Not a bad way to spend a Tuesday evening!!
Larry Zaslow
YOU KNOW WHY YOU DON'T SEE? BECAUSE YOU DON'T WATCH! - SLYDINI
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Man, I'm green with envy...Harry Lorayne is a living legend and to spend 3 1/2 hrs with him is a once in a lifetime treat! Kudos to you...
Cardamagically,
<<<KRaZy4KaRdZ>>> Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Richard Paddon
View Profile
Loyal user
214 Posts

Profile of Richard Paddon
What a treat.

When Harry lectured in Australia (May 16th, 1986) at Maurie Rooklyn's home, he performed, lectured and amazed everyone for about 4 hours, which contained 8 hours of material. Plus, autographed books, performed requests and more. Almost 21 years ago & I remember it like yesterday. Thanks Harry.

Cheers,
Richard
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Harry does everything with passion and conviction . . . great to have such characters amongst us.
Cards never lie
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Unquestionably one of the finest card teachers out there. I've enjoyed every lecture, lecture notes, video and book I have ever had access to when it comes to Harry. And I've never seen anybody recover from a flub better than he does, sometimes when he messes up, it turns out even better than what he was going to do. One of the all time best teachers out there.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
And the man is going to be 81 this year!
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1779 Posts

Profile of Ross W
Quote:
On 2007-01-25 23:04, photius wrote:
And I've never seen anybody recover from a flub better than he does, sometimes when he messes up, it turns out even better than what he was going to do.

QUESTION TO HARRY (If he's reading this, and he often does!)

Do you ever say to an audience, "Sorry folks, I screwed that one up!" or do you always manage to salvage the situation? (Confession: I screwed up "Anniversary Waltz" on the client and his bride once. I still have night-sweats about it.)
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Ross: I've said that to magicians, NEVER to laymen. No need to. Best - HARRY LORAYNE.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Roland78
View Profile
Special user
Torino, Italy
567 Posts

Profile of Roland78
Quote:
On 2007-01-26 09:28, ross welford wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-01-25 23:04, photius wrote:
And I've never seen anybody recover from a flub better than he does, sometimes when he messes up, it turns out even better than what he was going to do.

QUESTION TO HARRY (If he's reading this, and he often does!)

Do you ever say to an audience, "Sorry folks, I screwed that one up!" or do you always manage to salvage the situation? (Confession: I screwed up "Anniversary Waltz" on the client and his bride once. I still have night-sweats about it.)

What happened and how did you manage it? I think it would be useful for everybody knowing this kind of experiences...

Dave
bobbyk
View Profile
Special user
Florida
683 Posts

Profile of bobbyk
I was at a lecture of Harry's in Dallas many years ago. What a treat! I wish I could do it again sometime. He is a fountain of knowledge and a masterful teacher.

His book, "The Magic Book" made me realize I could indeed perform card Magic. Then of course I had to get most all he's written....and I have his memory course as well... which is amazing!

Harry, thanks for everything!

Best,
Bobby
marknem7
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of marknem7
I've been a fan of Harry Lorayne's ever since I bought his mail-order memory training course back in...uhm, when was that? Oh yeah...1969. I was 16 years old and this man's mind STILL scares me.

Word of another lecture by Harry, at Fantasma or anywhere else in NYC, might well have me jumping on JetBlue for a quick trip there from here in California.
NYCJoePitt
View Profile
Special user
558 Posts

Profile of NYCJoePitt
I also had the opportunity to attend Harry's lecture at Fantasma in NYC. I have to admit that was disappointed in the venue in several different ways.

Harry seemed to be fighting an uphill battle with this lecture. He was fighting a cold, he had trouble with the lighting and he appeared to be disorganized in between effects. But there was no question that once he got into the meat of one of his card effects that he was very thorough and he was also very entertaining.

He had some great tips and was very generous with sharing his knowledge and experience with the large audience of magi(that was occasionally rude and chattering in the background.) Harry often went off-tangent but it was always for something worthwhile and for something on-target and then he would come back to where he left off... I guess that memory stuff DOES work Smile He often fooled me with some of the simplest and most elegant of effects and moves and I just loved that.

I was only able to stay for the first 3 hours, but felt I got more than my moneys worth. Thanks Harry for some great stuff, it was an honor to watch you perform!

If someone in the management at Fantasma wants to PM me, I have suggestions about how to improve the venue.
cardone
View Profile
Special user
860 Posts

Profile of cardone
I also was told by a few friends that some magicians in the back were talking and laughing and being very disruptive and disrespectful ....so sad ..
marknem7
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of marknem7
Let's hope the lecture organizers at Fantasma will learn from this one, and do something to keep the lecture area quiet for future events.

Or hire some "enforcement" staff from Jersey.

Lorayne deserves better.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Boy, I must have been at a different lecture! I don't usually allow any talking, disrupting, etc., when I work. If I'd heard it, I'd have stopped it, but I sure as h*** didn't. Anyway, I just saw this post and got my laugh for the day. Talk about a back-handed compliment. Fortunately, from what I've heard, Mr. Joe Pitt is either in the vast minority, or doesn't really know what the h*** he's talking about. Incidentally, the best stuff came after hour three! I'm sure Fantasma will be checking with you for your improvements. Best - HARRY LORAYNE.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
NYCJoePitt
View Profile
Special user
558 Posts

Profile of NYCJoePitt
That's probably the difference between sitting in one of the front rows and sitting in one of the back rows. Next time, you'll just have to find a venue where we can *all* sit up front, Harry. Smile
snushy
View Profile
Veteran user
338 Posts

Profile of snushy
I don't know how many magic lectures you've attended, Joe, but this one was smooth as silk. It's true I had the best seat in the house, right beside Harry, but I certainly would have noticed if he was annoyed by any disturbances. He wasn't.
You've also got to understand Harry's teaching style. He likes to keep things loose so he can go off on pertinent tangents. This is what gives his lectures a unique energy. If you have any of his videos you'll see that he is the same way in that medium.
Just my two cents...
Larry Zaslow
YOU KNOW WHY YOU DON'T SEE? BECAUSE YOU DON'T WATCH! - SLYDINI
marknem7
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of marknem7
Snushy, you got me thinking about why I enjoy watching HL's tapes so much. The conversational, "weaving" style of his performances makes one feel like he's right there in your living room. His quick and straightforward delivery, the strong personality, his interesting sidebars, to say nothing of his great technique make him a joy to watch. Not to gush or anything but, seriously, if somebody were to start a contest to proclaim "Professor II", my nomination would be Lorayne.
Roger Dreyer
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Roger Dreyer
There is no magic venue in the world like Fantasma. We take the performing art of magic very, very seriously. We are very fortunate that Harry agreed to lecture with us and we all loved it!How many magic venues do you know that have 3 flat screen tv's? We even had Harry appearing on one of them. There is no one like Harry. We treated Harry with the same respect like we do all others. We have had in the past Jeff McBride, David Williamson, Darwin Ortiz, Rocco, Rafael Benatar and more of the best. Everyone that has ever experienced a lecture at Fantasma has nothing but the greatest things to say. If someone had a constructive comment, then I wish they would have approached me right there and then. Feel free to email me personally with any comments. Roger@fantasmamagic.com We can't please everyone, but we will sure try! Can't wait to have Harry lecture again and look forward to his Best of Friends #3. It will be another classic.
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3624 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
81 this year?? That must be a joke, I don't believe it. Harry has too much energy!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Harry Lorayne at Fantasma!! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL