The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » MP3 tech...I'm on the verge of buying it (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
AlanSmola
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of AlanSmola
The ICUE2 seems like the most supported system on here, but I am still leaning towards the laptop system. I mean if it does the job just as well as anything else for more than half the price, its still a winner for me.

-Alan
MAGICBYTIM
View Profile
Special user
Louisiana
531 Posts

Profile of MAGICBYTIM
Alan,

It is all up to how much work you want to have to set up your system. I can walk into a venue and set up my sound and have it playing my pre-show music with two speakers and my mic in under five minutes. A laptop may take you that long to set up and start up. I use the iQue. I have all of my sound set up in one case. I get to the show, open the case and plug one plug into the wall and one plug into the speaker. Then it is just a matter of plugging the speakers into the wall. Everything is in one place when I need it. This is just my way of doing this but it may not be the best.

Tim
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
Alan Samola, MAGICBYTIM and others,

The ICUE2 is the most supported system on here, but the laptop system will do the same job and even more, with additional bells and whistles just as well as anything else for more than half the price.

The maker of the ICUE2 is also shortly releasing a "New" product to control a laptop, which dosn't really make sense, called WISpeak. Its basically a very expensive laptop remote.

If you are using a laptop and are concerned about set-up time, here we go:

Buy a rack case, just check this out.

http://www.gatorcases.com/productsdetail......;PID=132

You can mount your laptop with super velcro, leave your antenna, power supply, audio cable permenantly wired along with your microphone in rack spaces. Please secure ALL THE CABLES.

Also do a searh of "laptop" in the Gator search box and that'll bring up more products.

Also for a more expanded ideas of laptops please go here:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=11

I wrote a freakin book.

G0THIKE
taneous
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of taneous
Please excuse my ignorance - but in what way is ICUE2 different from an iPod RF remote control? I've been to their site - but it's not too clear to me how it's different. With a Griffin AirClick remote control you can move through tracks as well as adjust the volume of an ipod. That seems to cover what I'm looking for and it's around 20 times less expensive. Am I missing something?
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1715 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
The iCue2 and MP3 Tech both give you significantly greater control in each cue along with improved range. I happily used a wireless RF remote with my iPod and found it worked well to cue up soundtracks but sometimes had the system pause or skip tracks. Being a new iCue2 user, I've been confidently able to greatly expand the depth of sound in my program with music chasers and sound affects throughout my program. With the iCue2 or MP3 Tech, there is a big difference as the iPod is always cued and ready whenever you trigger the next cue. I also have one touch fades to bring down one soundtrack and cue up the next. While these features might sound incremental, the impact on the whole show experience has been tremendous. I have no doubt the up spend has been very worthwhile and recommend either of these highly.

Dan.
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
Amazing Magic Co,

It seems that 3rd generation IPOD had some issues with the IJet remotes such as skipping, but eventually ABT fixed the problems and all you have to do is ship the remote to ABT and they will replace it. They might just send you one, give them a call. Check out where I found this out:

http://forums.ilounge.com/showthread.php......airclick

http://forums.ilounge.com/showthread.php......airclick

I think once apple changed the firmware the problem was gone.

G0THIKE
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Yeah...what he said!

Steve
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
VSM Tech AL,

I disagree with you on your assumpition on laptop use among magicians, as a "most inappropriate tool as it pertains to the greatest number of people within it."

A thread I created called Poorman's Remote Control Sound Cue currently has close to 7000 Views. See here: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=11

Jeff H and myself have helped countless performers use a laptop to control their sound.

David Copperfield uses a computer, so do major touring groups, Broadway plays, etc.

I can name hundreds of bells and whistles a laptop has over a ICUE2. First on the list is fade to pause, on the spot playlist changes, a large display, remote control selection, custom fade length and the most attractive part is a huge savings of hundreds of dollars.

Current Laptop and remote average price: $250.00
Current ICue2 with Ipod price: $950.00

Savings about $700.00

Respectfully,
G0THIKE
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Gothike,

On the subject of saving money to get a comparable product, wasn't it you who called me, interested in purchasing my Wolf's Magic "Blow Yur Stack" for double the price of a new one? Gotta save that money somehow, I guess.

Speaking of the proverbial bells and whistles, if you want complete control in one, single unit, I guess you should spring for around $2400 and buy a ShowTech, it'll control up to 4 other 110v powered items. I sold mine because I didn't need all the bells and whistles.

Copperfield and other touring groups have a large backstage (SECURED) area in which to store and use a computer and/or laptop. The general performer working a festival, large or small platform venue would not have that luxury. My iCue2, combined with my Anchor Explorer Pro speaker/amp with built-in wireless headset (Countryman) has a less than a 3 square foot footprint, no tables, nothing more than a speaker stand. Not even power necessary to run either the speaker, mic or the iCue2. No running power drops for a computer, no worrying about somebody kicking a power cord and unplugging anything No having to stand guard over a laptop sitting out on a table under a speaker. I tested the "Performer" system, a laptop based music system, and the only advantage was that you could have whatever you wanted, however large on the screen during the track to remind you what track you're on and what effect goes with it. The trade out for that one feature wasn't worth it. It used a basic Griffin Technologies "iClick" for control. It wasn't certain in its action, either.

Remember that touring companies also utilize live singing groups...you could hire one of those.

Steve
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
Steve,

At the time I spoke to you about selling me your "Blow Yer Stack" it was for some shows for orphan kid and kids with cancer but you refused to sell it to me even though you never use it or will use it, I even pleaded with you. I needed to add material since the hospital told me I couldn't use live animals in the show because of their weak immune systems. I ended up borrowing the prop from a local magician.

Jason's Performer system is the software that he developed himself to control his sound using the IClick, it works on a MAC. Personally I use Winamp with a reliable, longer range remote control on a PC based laptop. Please read the whole Poorman's thread so you can read about the bells & whistles, such as plugins which their are hundreds developed by software developers world wide for the span of many years.

I posted that reply to the VSM Tech guy who basically said that laptops are inferior solutions in our market, so I plugged in my thread that has about 7000 views as of Feb, 2007.

Anyhow I am waiting for Al VSM Tech to reply.

G0THIKE
GWSchott
View Profile
Veteran user
Southeastern Michigan
361 Posts

Profile of GWSchott
I've had mine (i.e. the MP3Tech) for about a week now and love it. It's going to make adding music to my show a snap. And I agree with Ken, the wireless display is worth the extra money.
Yours In Magic,
Gordon
Christian Illusionist
View Profile
Special user
Ohio (currently located in Missouri)
503 Posts

Profile of Christian Illusionist
In all of the profile pictures, the 'iCue2' is always pictured with an ipod.

Would it work with any other MP3 player? I have a Microsoft Zune, would that work with it?
We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
To find out ANYTHING you might want to know about the iCue2 (and I'm a proud owner and promoter of this extremely high-quality item!), email Kelly Duro or any of his support staff at http://www.virtualsoundman.com and they'll tell you whatever you need to know!

Steve
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
The MP# does not need an IPOD it works with SD Flash cards and you determine what ptogrom and tunes you want to play in what order.
Dennis Michael
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Dennis, he was not asking about the MP3 Tech, he was asking about the (in my opinion) much easier to operate iCue2. No SD cards...

Steve
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » MP3 tech...I'm on the verge of buying it (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL