The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » The Secrets of Brother John Hamman - Is it worth getting? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
jimi2040
View Profile
New user
United Kingdom
62 Posts

Profile of jimi2040
I been reading some reviews on The Secrets of Brother John Hamman and thought of buying one for myself. But my quesiton was do I really need this? I have lots of card magic DVDs so unless the book contains some different materials it would be a waste of money. For this reason, if anyone already has a copy, it would be nice if you could name some of the best magics that are in the book and a brief description of the trick. Please don't name tricks that are well known such as the amibitious card tricks but only the ones that you think are unique features of the book.

Sung
Silly Walter the Polar Bear
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of Silly Walter the Polar Bear
There are 85 effects in the book and unfortunately most of them aren't very good. The ones that are good are great. If you are just looking for tricks to entertain your magic buddies, you may have fun with this book. if you are looking for a book filled with practical magic that you can use to entertain lay audiences, this won't be at the top of the list.
Rimbaud
View Profile
Loyal user
Saint Louis
291 Posts

Profile of Rimbaud
I love this book. (But I'm from Saint Louis, and got to see Bro. John in action, so I'm a bit biased.)

There are several effects in there that are absolute staples of my work with laymen. Twins and Two Shuffles Harry are absolute classics.

The only downside is that Bro. John was very fond of Story type effects, so that may be a factor for you if that isn't your cup of tea.

Me, I think the man was a genius, and when I was young card man everyone around here was in absolute awe of him.

Like all Kaufman's books, it is beautifully produced.
http://www.DanLaddthehypnotist.com
"Saying 'Everyone is special' is just another way of saying 'No one is.'" --Dash from The Incredibles
jimi2040
View Profile
New user
United Kingdom
62 Posts

Profile of jimi2040
Thanks for the answers. Is it possible that you can explain what Twins and Two Shuffles Harry is about. Not the actual trick but what it looks like to a layman.

Sung
Rimbaud
View Profile
Loyal user
Saint Louis
291 Posts

Profile of Rimbaud
Two Shuffles Harry is a triumph style effect with two selected cards and an unexpected R/B color separation as a kicker.

Twins is a packet effect in which four cards are shown as two king of spades and two queen of spades, which then change multiple times until finally being shown as two king of hearts and two queen of hearts.

Both have always elicited very strong responses from laymen. The color separation at the end of Two Shuffles Harry is a complete stunner. The strength of Twins is that the cards keep changing as the story (about two twin brothers being married to two twin sisters) progresses. The effect just keeps building.

I think they are both very pretty effects.

He had quite a few more in there worth checking out as well.
http://www.DanLaddthehypnotist.com
"Saying 'Everyone is special' is just another way of saying 'No one is.'" --Dash from The Incredibles
jimi2040
View Profile
New user
United Kingdom
62 Posts

Profile of jimi2040
Thanks a lot for the explanation. I was asking to see whether this has some unique tricks like in Five Times Five and New Magic of Japan maybe it wasn't what I was looking for.

Sung
magikcid
View Profile
Regular user
148 Posts

Profile of magikcid
I remember when this book first came out and I picked it up at Tannens. I was really into Paul Harris, Vernon and Harry Lorrayne. I loved the different thinking in the book. There are a lot of lessons that could be applied to other effects. I still love Twins and there are a bunch of workable jems in there. It is a must for the card enthusiast looking for a revamp in card magic. You get to see what's possible when a person develops magic away from the magic fraternity. A true original.
msc455magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Taipei, Taiwan
1523 Posts

Profile of msc455magic
The "Where and What Test" from the book fooled me the first time I saw it.

Best,
msc455magic
imfletcher
View Profile
Loyal user
260 Posts

Profile of imfletcher
I got it for the explanation to the chinese shuffle for setting up decks, but then was a little disappointed in how it works, once I read the explanation. I plan on getting Ortiz's at the card table now for his si stebbins secret.
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
"Is it worth getting?"

Most definatly.

Sung - you can't compare this book with 5 Times Five and New Magic of Japan.
They are entirly different.

All I can say is if you into cardmagic, get this one as soon as possible.
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4464 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
This book is full or so many original plots. It is one of the best card magic books EVER written. Most of todays modern effects that come out stem from effects that Bro John Hamman created. Micro Marco is one of my favourite effects to perform. Imagine Mike Powers Diminishing returns, but done with a borrowed deck!!!
Bro John Hamman also came up with the Mystery card plot! One of Magic's finest ever plots! And Twins as well, again from the mind of Mr Hamman. He has more original plots than most magicians alive today! It has been said many times before 'We stand on the shoulders of giants', and we do, and Bro John Hamman is one of them. In card magic, when I think to myself (I do that a lot!), to me, those giants that I think of are Ed Marlo, Dai Vernon and Bro John Hamman. They to me have influenced the work I come up with and most people come up with more than any other card magicians! Yes there is story effects, and I find it funny, because so many people look at the effect, see it requires a story, and read past it. I love those people, because they don't look at the actual effect, and see how good it truly is, even without the story. Or they don't see they can change it or modernise it for the better, meaning that is what I can do and make things work for myself and come up with my own material. If you want awesome card magic effects, if you want to be able to build on great effects and make them better, then this is the book for you! Even if you take small bits from here and there in each effect, you will be making up new plots yourself. If you don't buy this book you will make me happy as I know there will be less people looking at the effects I play with making me more unique!
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Quote:
On 2007-02-09 17:21, Christopher Williams wrote:
This book is full or so many original plots. It is one of the best card magic books EVER written. Most of todays modern effects that come out stem from effects that Bro John Hamman created. Micro Marco is one of my favourite effects to perform. Imagine Mike Powers Diminishing returns, but done with a borrowed deck!!!
Bro John Hamman also came up with the Mystery card plot! One of Magic's finest ever plots! And Twins as well, again from the mind of Mr Hamman. He has more original plots than most magicians alive today! It has been said many times before 'We stand on the shoulders of giants', and we do, and Bro John Hamman is one of them. In card magic, when I think to myself (I do that a lot!), to me, those giants that I think of are Ed Marlo, Dai Vernon and Bro John Hamman. They to me have influenced the work I come up with and most people come up with more than any other card magicians! Yes there is story effects, and I find it funny, because so many people look at the effect, see it requires a story, and read past it. I love those people, because they don't look at the actual effect, and see how good it truly is, even without the story. Or they don't see they can change it or modernise it for the better, meaning that is what I can do and make things work for myself and come up with my own material. If you want awesome card magic effects, if you want to be able to build on great effects and make them better, then this is the book for you! Even if you take small bits from here and there in each effect, you will be making up new plots yourself. If you don't buy this book you will make me happy as I know there will be less people looking at the effects I play with making me more unique!

:dancing: Smile Smile RIGHT ON CHRIS!!
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
jimi2040
View Profile
New user
United Kingdom
62 Posts

Profile of jimi2040
Thanks you all. I'll take your advices Chris and Peo.
imfletcher
View Profile
Loyal user
260 Posts

Profile of imfletcher
Quote:
On 2007-02-09 15:51, imfletcher wrote:
I got it for the explanation to the chinese shuffle for setting up decks, but then was a little disappointed in how it works, once I read the explanation. I plan on getting Ortiz's at the card table now for his si stebbins secret.

I have to change my orignal thoughts on this book. I may have gotten it for the chinese shuffle, but then I realized that were so much other great stuff in here. Bro Hamman's packet effects and stories are great, his teaching on doubles and triples with packets is great and probablly worth the price of the book and that's just the first section of the book. His story telling and plots keep you interested. Then their are the triumph effects like two shuffles harry and others, well you get the idea. I will stop talking now.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
One of my absolute favorites. I love it!
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1525 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
FANTASTIC book. The Signed Card is a great trick and any trick that's been reworked and tweaked by so many people just shows what a classic it is. Of course there are a ton of other great tricks. The Two Card Trick is a diabolical mind job and the Sealed Room Mystery is an overlooked gem as well as The Magic Cards and Billy the Kid. Ever hear of Paul Harris's Reset? It's his variation of The Underground Transposition. This man was a genius and we should all feel greatful for his contributions and Kaufman for making them available in this excellent book.
DonB!
View Profile
Regular user
Minnesota
170 Posts

Profile of DonB!
Bro John’s book is amazing! So many great routines and techniques taught.

I will admit, Bro John was a boring performer, but an incredible thinker and creator.
The What & Where Test, 2 Shuffles Harry, Signed Card: all have become classics that others have created their own ideas from.

Get it, read it and enjoy it.
rodrigez
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of rodrigez
Quote:
On Dec 23, 2019, DonB! wrote:
Bro John’s book is amazing! So many great routines and techniques taught.

I will admit, Bro John was a boring performer, but an incredible thinker and creator.
The What & Where Test, 2 Shuffles Harry, Signed Card: all have become classics that others have created their own ideas from.

Get it, read it and enjoy it.

+1 to that. Just get it, a lot of routines today do have their roots in stuff described in here. Btw I heard the funny story of Brother Hamman and Roger Klause told by Lance Pierce some weeks ago on „Magical Thinking“ - had to laugh really hard.
bassinator
View Profile
New user
Louisiana
86 Posts

Profile of bassinator
I can see this thread isn't completely dead lol.

I just got the book yesterday and am starting to dive into it. I have already flagged quite a few tricks (including ones others have mentioned above) to start practicing. I know it's early, but this one may be shaping up to being a go-to for me.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Check out The Doppelganger Card
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » The Secrets of Brother John Hamman - Is it worth getting? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL