The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Encyclopedic Dictionary of Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5472 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Just got a note from Chris Wasshuber announcing the pdf re-release of the updated version of Bart Whaley's Encyclopedic Dictionary of Magic, available from Lybrary.com. Very cool! I've wanted a copy of this for some time now. Anyone else see this or purchase a copy yet?
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Thanks for the update. At $50, this PDF is affordable.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
shomemagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Missouri
2231 Posts

Profile of shomemagic
When did you get the note, Im on his mailing list and don't recall seeing this..sounds great.. I have the one by Encyclopedia of Magic & Magicians by TA Waters...but like you been wanting the Whaley version. Did he give a price?
Magically,

Mike King - Sho-Me Magic

You can e-mail me at: shomemagic@gmail.com
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5472 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
The announcement came to me yesterday. The price, as Tom stated, is $50. I believe there is more Whaley material on the way (such as "Who's Who...") in the future.
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5472 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
I just purchased a copy. At over 1000 pages this will take some time to review before I post any reasonably educated comments. Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions. From the amount of material I have reviewed in the short time since my download of the book I can already ensure a relatively positive review.

Many thanks to Mr. Whaley and Mr. Wasshuber for making this update possible and available at such a reasonable price.
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5472 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Another great thing about this is that Wasshuber is declaring it a living document. He is soliciting feedback regarding typos and informational errors and then offering periodic free updates to purchasers. The first update included a full bibliography, with the promise of more to come. This is one of the most interesting and satisfying recent purchases that I've made. Is no one else interested in this?
Gordon
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
692 Posts

Profile of Gordon
Is the PDF searchable? (I'm asking because some magic publications, like Oracle, create their PDF as big graphics, instead of searchable text, which limits their utility.)
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Wow, 1000 pages. Hope a review comes in after some time.
Cards never lie
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5472 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
The pdf is searchable, with bookmarks for each entry in the dictionary, as well as thousands of hyperlinked cross-references. It is also enabled with the "Text-to-Speech" feature in AdobeReader.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
I recently bought one and will be using it to check references to tricks and inventors on my site. It is fully searchable, but you do have to have some experience in computer searches or you end up getting bogged down in information you ASKED for, but didn't really want. Sometimes I find myself just browsing on down after finding the information I wanted, just because the information is so interesting. It was well worth the purchase price for me.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Encyclopedic Dictionary of Magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL