The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rectangles and pentagons and squares, oh my! » » Harry Anderson's paper hat routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicjack1977
View Profile
Loyal user
Louisville, KY
213 Posts

Profile of magicjack1977
I was watching some of Harry's old performances from TV and was reintroduced to a routine that I had tried to figure out many years ago but was never able to find it written up anywhere nor was I able to figure it out by watching the program over and over on VHS. He starts out with a newspaper and begins talking about when he was a boy, he wanted a hat but could not afford one, so a guy showed him how to make one out of paper. He proceeds to fold the paper hat into several hats using only one or two simple folds from the last hat. It was a very impressive routine. Does anyone know what this routine is called or where I may find a similar routine in print?

Posted: Feb 11, 2007 6:24pm
Please ignore this thread. I just realized he wasn't using paper, but rather a felt type material.
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
This nearly-lost art is called "chapeaugraphy", and there is an inexpensive ($3) downloadable ebook on the subject at http://www.lybrary.com/the-art-of-chapeaugraphy-p-246.html

If you want more information, they also offer a CD for $25 with three ebooks (including the one above) at http://www.lybrary.com/chapeaugraphy-p-68.html
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
686 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
I got the Chap-o version of the felt ring at a very reasonable price (mine was $14.95 plus shipping - I'd double check their website just to make sure), and did go to Lybrary for the first ebook Airship mentions. It's fun to work with.

http://www.chap-o.com/
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1612 Posts

Profile of Marvello
The Chap-O is great, but you should know that you will have to cut the felt to fit your noggin, but they include a template to allow you to do just that. My suggestion is to start a size smaller than you think you will need, and play with it a bit, and then if you need to take more off that is a simple matter. You can make your own if you have access to thick felt material, however after pricing out the cost of thick felt versus the Chap-O, I went with the Chap-O. The Chap-O also comes with an annoying "Chap-O' designer tag/label, but that can easily be reomved, since it is glued on to the felt.
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
Cranial Fermentator
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of Cranial Fermentator
Gene Anderson has a newspaper chapeaugraphy act in "Newspaper Magic" which shows how to fold a sheet of newspaper into six different hats (Mortarboard, Admiral's Hat, Napoleon's Hat, Hood, Sombrero, and Cowboy Hat).
rbattle
View Profile
Loyal user
266 Posts

Profile of rbattle
Magic Inc has a good book by Frances Marshall. Multiple examples and I think a simple routine that I used in my outdoor performances for years.

Robert
nums
View Profile
Veteran user
I have a life, or I would have more than
366 Posts

Profile of nums
I believe the paperback, "Complete book of newspaper magic" has a simalir routine with about 5-6 different changes and in the end it turns into a shirt, there is a rhyme that goes with it.

NUMS
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rectangles and pentagons and squares, oh my! » » Harry Anderson's paper hat routine (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL